G-tube covering for swimming?

amityvsvenom

Have you thought of using tegaderm? Put a piece of gauze over the site and then place the tegaderm over the tube. You can just coil up the tubing. This is what I did for my daughter and it worked out fine. Tegaderm is pretty decent.
<br />
<br />P.S. The wait time for a change over to mickey is 6-8 weeks, you should speak with him about what he has chosen such a longer time span to wait.

theLostMiler

Definitely petition to get it changed sooner... I would think 8 weeks is a minimum, I have heard even after 6 weeks getting it changed.

You will love life once that long tube is gone... I HATED it, literally... the buttons are soooo nice, I cant emphasize it enough. haha

Otherwise, I dont really see what the difference between swimming with the long tube vs. the button would do... you have an 'opening' in either case... I would just probably tape it so the tube isnt being tugged at while she's swimming, you know like flowing behind her.

theLostMiler

Definitely petition to get it changed sooner... I would think 8 weeks is a minimum, I have heard even after 6 weeks getting it changed.

You will love life once that long tube is gone... I HATED it, literally... the buttons are soooo nice, I cant emphasize it enough. haha

Otherwise, I dont really see what the difference between swimming with the long tube vs. the button would do... you have an 'opening' in either case... I would just probably tape it so the tube isnt being tugged at while she's swimming, you know like flowing behind her.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />You will love life once that long tube is gone... I HATED it, literally... the buttons are soooo nice, I cant emphasize it enough. haha
<br />
<br />
<br />Otherwise, I dont really see what the difference between swimming with the long tube vs. the button would do... you have an 'opening' in either case... I would just probably tape it so the tube isnt being tugged at while she's swimming, you know like flowing behind her.
<br />
<br />

minimedic304

When I had my tube place 15 years ago I too had to wait a long time...if it burns while swimming its because the site is not healed...the size or type of tube wont make it hurt swimming...so even if you get the mic-key sooner and she experiences pain you need to get her out of the water because the wound is not healed

minimedic304

When I had my tube place 15 years ago I too had to wait a long time...if it burns while swimming its because the site is not healed...the size or type of tube wont make it hurt swimming...so even if you get the mic-key sooner and she experiences pain you need to get her out of the water because the wound is not healed

minimedic304

izemmom

Just wanted to second:
a: efinately ask why you have to wait so long for the MicKEy button. 5 months seems unreasonable!

b: tagaderm is good stuff! We used it at first under Em's clothes, just until she stopped tugging at stuff. It really helped!

Emily enjoys being in the water, too, and did swimming lessons last summer. She had had her button for a couple of years already (yikes, where does the time go?!?) but she had no troubles with the chlorine irritating her site.

Good luck, Elise, and happy swimming, Froggy!

izemmom

Just wanted to second:
a: efinately ask why you have to wait so long for the MicKEy button. 5 months seems unreasonable!

b: tagaderm is good stuff! We used it at first under Em's clothes, just until she stopped tugging at stuff. It really helped!

Emily enjoys being in the water, too, and did swimming lessons last summer. She had had her button for a couple of years already (yikes, where does the time go?!?) but she had no troubles with the chlorine irritating her site.

Good luck, Elise, and happy swimming, Froggy!

izemmom

Just wanted to second:
<br />a: efinately ask why you have to wait so long for the MicKEy button. 5 months seems unreasonable!
<br />
<br />b: tagaderm is good stuff! We used it at first under Em's clothes, just until she stopped tugging at stuff. It really helped!
<br />
<br />Emily enjoys being in the water, too, and did swimming lessons last summer. She had had her button for a couple of years already (yikes, where does the time go?!?) but she had no troubles with the chlorine irritating her site.
<br />
<br />Good luck, Elise, and happy swimming, Froggy!
<br />
<br />

stressed

When my girls got there tube we just made them wear a one piece bathing suite for swimming with no problems
<br />

Fancymushroom

I'd suggest tagaderm too. Like use one square to cover the hole and wrap round the tube at the same time - so that nothing gets on the site. Then another to tape down the tube and give an extra seal. Also if she wears a one piece it can just curl round neatly and not be moving about in the water.

Fancymushroom

I'd suggest tagaderm too. Like use one square to cover the hole and wrap round the tube at the same time - so that nothing gets on the site. Then another to tape down the tube and give an extra seal. Also if she wears a one piece it can just curl round neatly and not be moving about in the water.

Fancymushroom

<br />

froggymama

Thanks everyone! We were supposed to get the mic-key in June, but there are no appointments available with our GI doc before July to do the peg pull, which is why it's taking so long. And I don't want a Fellow doing her peg pull, so I guess we'll just have to wait for our doc.

froggymama

Thanks everyone! We were supposed to get the mic-key in June, but there are no appointments available with our GI doc before July to do the peg pull, which is why it's taking so long. And I don't want a Fellow doing her peg pull, so I guess we'll just have to wait for our doc.

froggymama

<br />
<br />