G-tube? Have one?

CyndiW555

I'm thinking of getting a G-tube. Can anyone tell me: How does it work? How do you like it? How long have you had it? How hard is it to do? How much weight did you gain? I am 42 yowcf, 5ft and weigh about 88lbs.Any adive would be appreciated!

CyndiW555

I'm thinking of getting a G-tube. Can anyone tell me: How does it work? How do you like it? How long have you had it? How hard is it to do? How much weight did you gain? I am 42 yowcf, 5ft and weigh about 88lbs.Any adive would be appreciated!

CyndiW555

CyndiW555

CyndiW555

Bumblebee

Hello,

I don't have a G-tube but i did naso gastric feeding for a year last year and went from 93pounds to 121pounds in about 5 months when i was doing night time feeding 5x a week. I'm 5ft 1. I then did about 6 months of 2x a week and dropped to a happy stable of 116 pounds. I've now stopped the ng feeding and have remained at 116pounds in the last month since i stopped.
I'm glad i only did ng feeding as opposed to a G-tube as it's not permanent. If you don't know, ng feeding is just passing a tube up your nose to your stomach on the nights for the feeding. It's a bit horrible and tricky to learn to be honest, but after a few goes i found it okay and soon got used to it.
Putting on the weight was a great excuse to go shopping as i had to buy a whole new wardrobe!

xxxx

Bumblebee

Hello,

I don't have a G-tube but i did naso gastric feeding for a year last year and went from 93pounds to 121pounds in about 5 months when i was doing night time feeding 5x a week. I'm 5ft 1. I then did about 6 months of 2x a week and dropped to a happy stable of 116 pounds. I've now stopped the ng feeding and have remained at 116pounds in the last month since i stopped.
I'm glad i only did ng feeding as opposed to a G-tube as it's not permanent. If you don't know, ng feeding is just passing a tube up your nose to your stomach on the nights for the feeding. It's a bit horrible and tricky to learn to be honest, but after a few goes i found it okay and soon got used to it.
Putting on the weight was a great excuse to go shopping as i had to buy a whole new wardrobe!

xxxx

Bumblebee

Hello,

xxxx

Bumblebee

Hello,

xxxx

Bumblebee

Hello,
<br />
<br />I don't have a G-tube but i did naso gastric feeding for a year last year and went from 93pounds to 121pounds in about 5 months when i was doing night time feeding 5x a week. I'm 5ft 1. I then did about 6 months of 2x a week and dropped to a happy stable of 116 pounds. I've now stopped the ng feeding and have remained at 116pounds in the last month since i stopped.
<br />I'm glad i only did ng feeding as opposed to a G-tube as it's not permanent. If you don't know, ng feeding is just passing a tube up your nose to your stomach on the nights for the feeding. It's a bit horrible and tricky to learn to be honest, but after a few goes i found it okay and soon got used to it.
<br />Putting on the weight was a great excuse to go shopping as i had to buy a whole new wardrobe!
<br />
<br />xxxx

jfarel

I am 27 years old and had a g-tube put in back in December. Probably should have had this done years ago. Even though I was a relatively healthy child, I have always been chronically underweight. Not sure what percentile, but when I was in 7th grade I was 5' tall and 75 pounds.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I think it would have been good to get one as kid. Sure it would have been kind of embarrassing and I would have hated having it as a teenage boy, but I really think it would have made me healthier and better able to fight infections.

As I said I had it put in in early dec. and since then I have gained about 10-12 pounds. Easiest weight gain of my life. The weight gain was slow but once I started gaining it came on pretty fast. I think it took longer to gain weight because I caught a bug and was very sick for about a month after I had it put in.

I think its a great way to keep healthy and fight off infections. I wish I hadn't been so resistant to it for so long.

I will add that it was painful for me because they didn't send me home with pain medicine. The surgery itself wasn't painful as I was knocked out. Make sure you get a script for some pain medicine in case you need it. According to my doctor, many people don't need it. They compare the pain level to dental work. Obviously it was a bit worse for me.

I also had the gtube switched to the low profile button a couple weeks ago. Its much easier to work with. The switch was easy.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

jfarel

I am 27 years old and had a g-tube put in back in December. Probably should have had this done years ago. Even though I was a relatively healthy child, I have always been chronically underweight. Not sure what percentile, but when I was in 7th grade I was 5' tall and 75 pounds.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I think it would have been good to get one as kid. Sure it would have been kind of embarrassing and I would have hated having it as a teenage boy, but I really think it would have made me healthier and better able to fight infections.

As I said I had it put in in early dec. and since then I have gained about 10-12 pounds. Easiest weight gain of my life. The weight gain was slow but once I started gaining it came on pretty fast. I think it took longer to gain weight because I caught a bug and was very sick for about a month after I had it put in.

I think its a great way to keep healthy and fight off infections. I wish I hadn't been so resistant to it for so long.

I will add that it was painful for me because they didn't send me home with pain medicine. The surgery itself wasn't painful as I was knocked out. Make sure you get a script for some pain medicine in case you need it. According to my doctor, many people don't need it. They compare the pain level to dental work. Obviously it was a bit worse for me.

I also had the gtube switched to the low profile button a couple weeks ago. Its much easier to work with. The switch was easy.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

<br />
<br />Anyway, to make a long story short, I think it would have been good to get one as kid. Sure it would have been kind of embarrassing and I would have hated having it as a teenage boy, but I really think it would have made me healthier and better able to fight infections.
<br />
<br />As I said I had it put in in early dec. and since then I have gained about 10-12 pounds. Easiest weight gain of my life. The weight gain was slow but once I started gaining it came on pretty fast. I think it took longer to gain weight because I caught a bug and was very sick for about a month after I had it put in.
<br />
<br />I think its a great way to keep healthy and fight off infections. I wish I hadn't been so resistant to it for so long.
<br />
<br />I will add that it was painful for me because they didn't send me home with pain medicine. The surgery itself wasn't painful as I was knocked out. Make sure you get a script for some pain medicine in case you need it. According to my doctor, many people don't need it. They compare the pain level to dental work. Obviously it was a bit worse for me.
<br />
<br />I also had the gtube switched to the low profile button a couple weeks ago. Its much easier to work with. The switch was easy.
<br />
<br />Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

shamrock

I had an NG tube for two years, followed by a G-tube for about 4 years (5?) followed by a gastrosomy button for 11 years - so 17 years feeding in total. I started very young @ 2 so I don't really have a comparison weight to tell you but it for me was a life saver.

I'd hook up my feed at night, sleep and flush and unhook in the morning - not ENTIRELY dissimilar to hooking up to an iv. In the last few years pre-tx, I did bolus feeds too. So two feeds in the day, one at night. You can set how fast you want it to go and I found them great for sticking extra calories into me.

The only problem was because I was chesty and doing physio in the morning, I used to have a hard time not getting sick a bit (I'd cough so hard I'd throw up). This became a chronic problem for me, and it got to the point where I wouldn't go about my day until I'd had a quick 'get sick' in the morning. I learned when I was about 18 to control this but I stopped feeding about 6months later anyway.

To me, it's worth it, but like Bumblebee suggested, maybe try NG first - something temporary!

shamrock

I had an NG tube for two years, followed by a G-tube for about 4 years (5?) followed by a gastrosomy button for 11 years - so 17 years feeding in total. I started very young @ 2 so I don't really have a comparison weight to tell you but it for me was a life saver.

I'd hook up my feed at night, sleep and flush and unhook in the morning - not ENTIRELY dissimilar to hooking up to an iv. In the last few years pre-tx, I did bolus feeds too. So two feeds in the day, one at night. You can set how fast you want it to go and I found them great for sticking extra calories into me.

The only problem was because I was chesty and doing physio in the morning, I used to have a hard time not getting sick a bit (I'd cough so hard I'd throw up). This became a chronic problem for me, and it got to the point where I wouldn't go about my day until I'd had a quick 'get sick' in the morning. I learned when I was about 18 to control this but I stopped feeding about 6months later anyway.

To me, it's worth it, but like Bumblebee suggested, maybe try NG first - something temporary!

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

<br />
<br />I'd hook up my feed at night, sleep and flush and unhook in the morning - not ENTIRELY dissimilar to hooking up to an iv. In the last few years pre-tx, I did bolus feeds too. So two feeds in the day, one at night. You can set how fast you want it to go and I found them great for sticking extra calories into me.
<br />
<br />The only problem was because I was chesty and doing physio in the morning, I used to have a hard time not getting sick a bit (I'd cough so hard I'd throw up). This became a chronic problem for me, and it got to the point where I wouldn't go about my day until I'd had a quick 'get sick' in the morning. I learned when I was about 18 to control this but I stopped feeding about 6months later anyway.
<br />
<br />To me, it's worth it, but like Bumblebee suggested, maybe try NG first - something temporary!