G-tube info.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
In my PM, I talked about having a choice between different kinds of G-tubes. As an adult, I think you will have an option. With children and babies, they use the MIC-KEY exclusively.

Here's pictures of the two kinds of devices used.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rch.org.au/emplibrary/clinicalguide/Gastrostomy_bardButton.jpg
">http://www.rch.org.au/emplibra...ostomy_bardButton.jpg
</a>
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.stomaatje.nl/andere%20stoma's/K-C-MIC-KEY225%5B1%5D.jpeg">http://www.stomaatje.nl/andere...MIC-KEY225%5B1%5D.jpeg</a>

J

Jade

Thanks everyone. I'm researching things right now so later tonight I might have some specific questions.

J

Jade

Thanks everyone. I'm researching things right now so later tonight I might have some specific questions.

J

Jade

F

fr3ak

Not sure if you are an adult or you are wanting one for your kid, heres my take on feeding tubes

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Were there any problems later that no-one mentioned ahead of time</end quote></div>

Chronic pain to the point where I couldn't even eat normal food, and eventually it had to be removed after only about 7 months or so

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Did you regret having it done or not</end quote></div>

Very much so, at the time I thought I was doing the right thing, because it was suppose to tie me over until I had my transplant, but it infact worked in the reverse and due to pain and other stuff I lost weight....

I constantly leaked stomach acid, and the area was painful and raw.

I have said this to everyone I talk to, get a feeding tube as a very last resort and try NG (nasal gastric) feeds first. Take as many other steps to gain weight and only after you have no other choice then get a feeding tube....

At the time I got my tube I had no other choice, I had done NG feeds for 3 years, but due to being so sick, coughing, vomiting I couldn't keep the tube down...The feeding tube was suppose to be my savation and help gain weight before transplant, but as I said due to problems, pain etc I lost weight and eventually begged them to take it out.....

F

fr3ak

Not sure if you are an adult or you are wanting one for your kid, heres my take on feeding tubes

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Were there any problems later that no-one mentioned ahead of time</end quote></div>

Chronic pain to the point where I couldn't even eat normal food, and eventually it had to be removed after only about 7 months or so

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Did you regret having it done or not</end quote></div>

Very much so, at the time I thought I was doing the right thing, because it was suppose to tie me over until I had my transplant, but it infact worked in the reverse and due to pain and other stuff I lost weight....

I have said this to everyone I talk to, get a feeding tube as a very last resort and try NG (nasal gastric) feeds first. Take as many other steps to gain weight and only after you have no other choice then get a feeding tube....

At the time I got my tube I had no other choice, I had done NG feeds for 3 years, but due to being so sick, coughing, vomiting I couldn't keep the tube down...The feeding tube was suppose to be my savation and help gain weight before transplant, but as I said due to problems, pain etc I lost weight and eventually begged them to take it out.....

F

fr3ak

nicolaj

I totally agree with you FR3AK!
i no its a personal opinion to get a g tube or not, but i had one for 8years and i went through alot of problems with mine growing up. when i was at school i was very embarrassed to go swimming in case you could see it through my bathing suit, which you could! i had alot of leaks through my school uniform too. it would smell really bad because it was from my stomach,and would burn my skin like crazy.i had alot of skin infections around the tube aswell. one time i was hospitalised because of it, i have never felt pain like it before and was given morphine. i still have very bad scarring from it. when i reached 16years of age i made the descision to have it taken out. i had grown up since it was put in, and had started to get boyfriends. i was very self concious of it! when it was taken out, my cf nurse taught me how to use a nasal tube instead. it took time and practice, but im so happy with my descision! now i dont have a permenent thing in my stomach, reminding me im ill. all i have to do at night is put my nasal tube in, have my over night feed, then take it out the following morning. easy!

nicolaj

i no its a personal opinion to get a g tube or not, but i had one for 8years and i went through alot of problems with mine growing up. when i was at school i was very embarrassed to go swimming in case you could see it through my bathing suit, which you could! i had alot of leaks through my school uniform too. it would smell really bad because it was from my stomach,and would burn my skin like crazy.i had alot of skin infections around the tube aswell. one time i was hospitalised because of it, i have never felt pain like it before and was given morphine. i still have very bad scarring from it. when i reached 16years of age i made the descision to have it taken out. i had grown up since it was put in, and had started to get boyfriends. i was very self concious of it! when it was taken out, my cf nurse taught me how to use a nasal tube instead. it took time and practice, but im so happy with my descision! now i dont have a permenent thing in my stomach, reminding me im ill. all i have to do at night is put my nasal tube in, have my over night feed, then take it out the following morning. easy!

nicolaj

Ricky123

ive had mine in for 13 years and its worth getting.It puts on weight makes you feel better as you dont have to be constantly struggling to eat a load of calories each day.The only downside is when you go swimming or are on the beach cos people tend to stare at you but as your a girl that shouldent be a problem cos you can cover it up with a swimming costume

Ricky123

ive had mine in for 13 years and its worth getting.It puts on weight makes you feel better as you dont have to be constantly struggling to eat a load of calories each day.The only downside is when you go swimming or are on the beach cos people tend to stare at you but as your a girl that shouldent be a problem cos you can cover it up with a swimming costume

Ricky123

JazzysMom

I remember discussing this with my doctor a few years back when I just couldnt regain from a severe weight loss during a bad exacerbation. She wasnt in favor of it for two reasons. She truly felt I could do it on my own if I put forth my discipline (she was right) and she didnt want me to think it was an "easy" fix. She had mentioned that getting one as an adult was more difficult because by then the abdominal muscles etc are much stronger etc from the years of coughing and other workout. Has anyone who has gotten one as an adult been warned of this type of thing? I am not in a position to think about it now, but just curious.

JazzysMom

I remember discussing this with my doctor a few years back when I just couldnt regain from a severe weight loss during a bad exacerbation. She wasnt in favor of it for two reasons. She truly felt I could do it on my own if I put forth my discipline (she was right) and she didnt want me to think it was an "easy" fix. She had mentioned that getting one as an adult was more difficult because by then the abdominal muscles etc are much stronger etc from the years of coughing and other workout. Has anyone who has gotten one as an adult been warned of this type of thing? I am not in a position to think about it now, but just curious.

JazzysMom