G-tube ooze

froggymama

My kiddo has a Mic-Key and she always has a little ooze or crust on the sides of her mic-key. I've had her looked at by the docs and they said this is normal and it's not infected.

How do you handle the constant crust near the site? We were told not to cover it with gauze to prevent infection. Do you just live with the ooze?

Thanks. Elise

froggymama

My kiddo has a Mic-Key and she always has a little ooze or crust on the sides of her mic-key. I've had her looked at by the docs and they said this is normal and it's not infected.

How do you handle the constant crust near the site? We were told not to cover it with gauze to prevent infection. Do you just live with the ooze?

Thanks. Elise

froggymama

<br />
<br />How do you handle the constant crust near the site? We were told not to cover it with gauze to prevent infection. Do you just live with the ooze?
<br />
<br />Thanks. Elise

izemmom

Hi Elise -

Well, I'm probably not much help. We use gauze. We buy the antimicrobial split IV "sponges" from Kendall. Walgreens delivers them with our feeding supplies, though they aren't part of our perscription. We also use a trace amount of triamiconolone cream (sp?).

Emily doesn't get crusties since we started doing this, and she has not had any major granulation issues since we started. Sometimes there will be some "oooze" that is on the underside of the gauze. It is ususally yellow or brown and occasionally smells like beer. Lovely. I'd imagine it is a yeast growth of some sort.

She certainly hasn't had any infections around the tube site due to the gauze. In fact, I think it keeps the area more clean and dry than with out. We change the gauze when she gets dressed in the morning and when she puts on her PJ's at night. Takes 30 sec, and she can do it herself.

izemmom

Hi Elise -

Well, I'm probably not much help. We use gauze. We buy the antimicrobial split IV "sponges" from Kendall. Walgreens delivers them with our feeding supplies, though they aren't part of our perscription. We also use a trace amount of triamiconolone cream (sp?).

Emily doesn't get crusties since we started doing this, and she has not had any major granulation issues since we started. Sometimes there will be some "oooze" that is on the underside of the gauze. It is ususally yellow or brown and occasionally smells like beer. Lovely. I'd imagine it is a yeast growth of some sort.

She certainly hasn't had any infections around the tube site due to the gauze. In fact, I think it keeps the area more clean and dry than with out. We change the gauze when she gets dressed in the morning and when she puts on her PJ's at night. Takes 30 sec, and she can do it herself.

izemmom

Hi Elise -
<br />
<br />Well, I'm probably not much help. We use gauze. We buy the antimicrobial split IV "sponges" from Kendall. Walgreens delivers them with our feeding supplies, though they aren't part of our perscription. We also use a trace amount of triamiconolone cream (sp?).
<br />
<br />Emily doesn't get crusties since we started doing this, and she has not had any major granulation issues since we started. Sometimes there will be some "oooze" that is on the underside of the gauze. It is ususally yellow or brown and occasionally smells like beer. Lovely. I'd imagine it is a yeast growth of some sort.
<br />
<br />She certainly hasn't had any infections around the tube site due to the gauze. In fact, I think it keeps the area more clean and dry than with out. We change the gauze when she gets dressed in the morning and when she puts on her PJ's at night. Takes 30 sec, and she can do it herself.

ChristiansMommy

hi, this has happened to my son many times...
i was told by our g-tube nurse to do saline soaks. you get about 1 cup warm water and 1 tsp salt, stir it up, get some small pieces of gauze and let them sit in the water for a few seconds and then apply the wet gauze around the site and just keep the wet gauze there for about 10 minutes and then maybe even do it again. this helps the ooze and crusties to dry out. it has helped my son. when he does get ooze or crusties, he just asks for the saline soak.
hope this helps.

ChristiansMommy

i was told by our g-tube nurse to do saline soaks. you get about 1 cup warm water and 1 tsp salt, stir it up, get some small pieces of gauze and let them sit in the water for a few seconds and then apply the wet gauze around the site and just keep the wet gauze there for about 10 minutes and then maybe even do it again. this helps the ooze and crusties to dry out. it has helped my son. when he does get ooze or crusties, he just asks for the saline soak.
hope this helps.

ChristiansMommy

<br />i was told by our g-tube nurse to do saline soaks. you get about 1 cup warm water and 1 tsp salt, stir it up, get some small pieces of gauze and let them sit in the water for a few seconds and then apply the wet gauze around the site and just keep the wet gauze there for about 10 minutes and then maybe even do it again. this helps the ooze and crusties to dry out. it has helped my son. when he does get ooze or crusties, he just asks for the saline soak.
<br />hope this helps.

S

sdelorenzo

The triamiconolone cream Tami mentioned works wonders for my daughter. You are supposed to use it only occasionally. My daughter uses it about two or three times a year (about 10 days at a time) and her button stops oozing and the granulation tissue goes away.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 7 both with cf, Grant, 2 and Paige, 3 months both without cf

S

sdelorenzo

The triamiconolone cream Tami mentioned works wonders for my daughter. You are supposed to use it only occasionally. My daughter uses it about two or three times a year (about 10 days at a time) and her button stops oozing and the granulation tissue goes away.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 7 both with cf, Grant, 2 and Paige, 3 months both without cf

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 7 both with cf, Grant, 2 and Paige, 3 months both without cf

theLostMiler

yea my wound care doctor said not to use gauze either, but I find the site looks and feels a lot better when I use gauze (I actually normally just use toilet paper ahha) b/c I change it a few times throughout the day and I dont get the gauze pads with my delivery.

I have my own silver nitrate sticks my dr. passed on to me to help with granulation tissue but I would say most the time I have irritation from the acid and the gauze pad or whatever helps keep it off the skin and not get all goopy and crusty.

I have some desitin cream too but I havent really used it unless its really irritated (and not granulation tissue just red from the acid)

theLostMiler

yea my wound care doctor said not to use gauze either, but I find the site looks and feels a lot better when I use gauze (I actually normally just use toilet paper ahha) b/c I change it a few times throughout the day and I dont get the gauze pads with my delivery.

I have my own silver nitrate sticks my dr. passed on to me to help with granulation tissue but I would say most the time I have irritation from the acid and the gauze pad or whatever helps keep it off the skin and not get all goopy and crusty.

I have some desitin cream too but I havent really used it unless its really irritated (and not granulation tissue just red from the acid)

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I have my own silver nitrate sticks my dr. passed on to me to help with granulation tissue but I would say most the time I have irritation from the acid and the gauze pad or whatever helps keep it off the skin and not get all goopy and crusty.
<br />
<br />I have some desitin cream too but I havent really used it unless its really irritated (and not granulation tissue just red from the acid)
<br />

hmw

Thanks for the post re. the saline soaks- that sounds like a great idea to try when Emily gets these! She was getting a LOT of ooze and crusting in the weeks before her tube broke and needed to be replaced- I think it was leaking and therefore allowing leakage of stomach contents.

She had a pretty large growth of granulation tissue once before but that was a different issue entirely than the crusty stuff and about 10 days of triamiconolone helped a lot. She's developing a bit of that again so I plan on starting it again. It comes in a huge tube so we have plenty for several rounds, but we were told not to use it for more than 2wks at a time since it can thin the skin with prolonged use.

We get a box of split gauze every month with the rest of her feeding supplies but use them more for cleaning around the site rather than leaving them on long term (I agree a small amount of crustiness is normal and cleaning with a warm wet gauze as needed plus her regular showering.) Occasionally leaving one on for part of a day helps when it's oozing a lot, but doing so frequently starts to bother her (and it smells.)

hmw

Thanks for the post re. the saline soaks- that sounds like a great idea to try when Emily gets these! She was getting a LOT of ooze and crusting in the weeks before her tube broke and needed to be replaced- I think it was leaking and therefore allowing leakage of stomach contents.

She had a pretty large growth of granulation tissue once before but that was a different issue entirely than the crusty stuff and about 10 days of triamiconolone helped a lot. She's developing a bit of that again so I plan on starting it again. It comes in a huge tube so we have plenty for several rounds, but we were told not to use it for more than 2wks at a time since it can thin the skin with prolonged use.

We get a box of split gauze every month with the rest of her feeding supplies but use them more for cleaning around the site rather than leaving them on long term (I agree a small amount of crustiness is normal and cleaning with a warm wet gauze as needed plus her regular showering.) Occasionally leaving one on for part of a day helps when it's oozing a lot, but doing so frequently starts to bother her (and it smells.)