G-Tube Procedure

MMBinNC

I was wondering if the placement procedure (initial placement)was an outpatient procedure or a short admittance? Recently my doctor has said that she wants me to get a g-tube because she thinks my low weight is hurting my lung function- this is my 2nd round of IVs in less than 3 months and third this year overall. Also, I was wondering how everyone felt about teh tube? It seems the consensus is that it is good, but I'd still like to hear some opinions.

MMBinNC

I was wondering if the placement procedure (initial placement)was an outpatient procedure or a short admittance? Recently my doctor has said that she wants me to get a g-tube because she thinks my low weight is hurting my lung function- this is my 2nd round of IVs in less than 3 months and third this year overall. Also, I was wondering how everyone felt about teh tube? It seems the consensus is that it is good, but I'd still like to hear some opinions.

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

hockeykid

It really depends on how well you tolerate the procedure. I went home the same day I had my tube placed. Some hospitals have patients stay in the hospital to see if they tolerate their feedings. I think having a feeding has been good for me despite the fact I hate using it.

hockeykid

It really depends on how well you tolerate the procedure. I went home the same day I had my tube placed. Some hospitals have patients stay in the hospital to see if they tolerate their feedings. I think having a feeding has been good for me despite the fact I hate using it.

hockeykid

hockeykid

hockeykid

jonflath

I just had my gtube placed this summer. I stayed in the hospital afterwards for about 4 or 5 days. I don't know how strong your abs are, but mine were about the only strong muscle in my body. I was on morphine for about 3 days afterwards so I could vest. Once you get used to it being there you wont even notice it. As my surgeon said afterwards, "you need to become one with your gtube". For most people they dont want to get it because of how people would view them if they saw you with your shirt off. I have a mic-key button which isn't too big and if i wear a single shirt you can kind of see a bump, but nothing more than that. If you have any specific questions or want to chat just private message me.

jonflath

I just had my gtube placed this summer. I stayed in the hospital afterwards for about 4 or 5 days. I don't know how strong your abs are, but mine were about the only strong muscle in my body. I was on morphine for about 3 days afterwards so I could vest. Once you get used to it being there you wont even notice it. As my surgeon said afterwards, "you need to become one with your gtube". For most people they dont want to get it because of how people would view them if they saw you with your shirt off. I have a mic-key button which isn't too big and if i wear a single shirt you can kind of see a bump, but nothing more than that. If you have any specific questions or want to chat just private message me.

jonflath

jonflath

jonflath

iwantmypup

I had my gtube placed back in January when I went in for a tuneup. I didn't go home for another week, simple because I still had a week to go in the hosp.
The surgeon guy was great, he placed it in the area where there aren't muscles (well like, not the ab muscles.. He placed it maybe an inch above my belly button. I was in PAIN. Most of that was my fault, unless I was "dieing" from the pain, I didn't want the iv painkillers. I swear, only Tylenol.
I've gotten used to it, right now I have the mic-key button, I admit, it's bigger than I'd like... But unless there is a total flat one, their all gonna be too big lol

it's so helpful though. I don't have the willpower and appetite to gain the weight without the gtube. I've gone from 86 pounds to 101 in not that many months.

iwantmypup

I had my gtube placed back in January when I went in for a tuneup. I didn't go home for another week, simple because I still had a week to go in the hosp.
The surgeon guy was great, he placed it in the area where there aren't muscles (well like, not the ab muscles.. He placed it maybe an inch above my belly button. I was in PAIN. Most of that was my fault, unless I was "dieing" from the pain, I didn't want the iv painkillers. I swear, only Tylenol.
I've gotten used to it, right now I have the mic-key button, I admit, it's bigger than I'd like... But unless there is a total flat one, their all gonna be too big lol

it's so helpful though. I don't have the willpower and appetite to gain the weight without the gtube. I've gone from 86 pounds to 101 in not that many months.

iwantmypup

iwantmypup

iwantmypup

<br />The surgeon guy was great, he placed it in the area where there aren't muscles (well like, not the ab muscles.. He placed it maybe an inch above my belly button. I was in PAIN. Most of that was my fault, unless I was "dieing" from the pain, I didn't want the iv painkillers. I swear, only Tylenol.
<br />I've gotten used to it, right now I have the mic-key button, I admit, it's bigger than I'd like... But unless there is a total flat one, their all gonna be too big lol
<br />
<br />it's so helpful though. I don't have the willpower and appetite to gain the weight without the gtube. I've gone from 86 pounds to 101 in not that many months.