G-Tube Questions and Button Types

MMBinNC

I have a few questions. As some of you may know I just got a G-Tube a few weeks ago (luckily they did it laparoscopically and I started with the Mic-Key).

1. First I was wondering how long it took all of you to be hungry during the day. Its getting better for me. Its been a little over 2 weeks since the surgery, but I still only get hungry around dinnertime and then eat dinner and a snack. I am on 3 cans of Nutren 2.0. Its better than before so I am not really worried about that.

2.More importantly I was wondering about the other types of G-Tube buttons. I am not a huge fan of the Mic-Key mainly because it is big, loose, and leaks often. I know of two other types: Bard and AMT MiniOne. Is the MiniOne much larger than the Bard, because it seems like there would be no reason to choose the Bard (which looks like its painful to insert/remove and may require sedation) over the MiniOne. What are the Pros/Cons of all the devies and are there any better buttons? As you may be able to tell a big thing is that the Mic-Key is very obvious and I would like the lowest profile available (with the least amount of pain).

Thanks for your help.

MMBinNC

I have a few questions. As some of you may know I just got a G-Tube a few weeks ago (luckily they did it laparoscopically and I started with the Mic-Key).

1. First I was wondering how long it took all of you to be hungry during the day. Its getting better for me. Its been a little over 2 weeks since the surgery, but I still only get hungry around dinnertime and then eat dinner and a snack. I am on 3 cans of Nutren 2.0. Its better than before so I am not really worried about that.

2.More importantly I was wondering about the other types of G-Tube buttons. I am not a huge fan of the Mic-Key mainly because it is big, loose, and leaks often. I know of two other types: Bard and AMT MiniOne. Is the MiniOne much larger than the Bard, because it seems like there would be no reason to choose the Bard (which looks like its painful to insert/remove and may require sedation) over the MiniOne. What are the Pros/Cons of all the devies and are there any better buttons? As you may be able to tell a big thing is that the Mic-Key is very obvious and I would like the lowest profile available (with the least amount of pain).

Thanks for your help.

MMBinNC

Thanks for your help.

MMBinNC

Thanks for your help.

MMBinNC

<br />
<br />1. First I was wondering how long it took all of you to be hungry during the day. Its getting better for me. Its been a little over 2 weeks since the surgery, but I still only get hungry around dinnertime and then eat dinner and a snack. I am on 3 cans of Nutren 2.0. Its better than before so I am not really worried about that.
<br />
<br />2.More importantly I was wondering about the other types of G-Tube buttons. I am not a huge fan of the Mic-Key mainly because it is big, loose, and leaks often. I know of two other types: Bard and AMT MiniOne. Is the MiniOne much larger than the Bard, because it seems like there would be no reason to choose the Bard (which looks like its painful to insert/remove and may require sedation) over the MiniOne. What are the Pros/Cons of all the devies and are there any better buttons? As you may be able to tell a big thing is that the Mic-Key is very obvious and I would like the lowest profile available (with the least amount of pain).
<br />
<br />Thanks for your help.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys had the Bard for five years with few problems. Josh's cover flap broke off and the whole thing had to be replaced via surgery. The second time he just outgrew it. It was also replaced via surgery, but he chose a Mic-key button instead.

The Bard is MUCH flatter than the mic-key so Josh was very disappointed when he saw how raised the mic-key was. Tom (just1more) told us about the AMT Mini one button and our doc ordered it for us. WOW what a difference from the mic-key! It is slightly bigger than the Bard but much smaller than the mic-key.

So, Pros for the bard- flatter and quicker recovery. Cons- surgically replaced.

Pros- AMT- lower than the mic-key and easily replaced.

BTW- in the left side column, there is MEDWIDGET where you can do some comparisons.

PM if you have any questions!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys had the Bard for five years with few problems. Josh's cover flap broke off and the whole thing had to be replaced via surgery. The second time he just outgrew it. It was also replaced via surgery, but he chose a Mic-key button instead.

The Bard is MUCH flatter than the mic-key so Josh was very disappointed when he saw how raised the mic-key was. Tom (just1more) told us about the AMT Mini one button and our doc ordered it for us. WOW what a difference from the mic-key! It is slightly bigger than the Bard but much smaller than the mic-key.

BTW- in the left side column, there is MEDWIDGET where you can do some comparisons.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />The Bard is MUCH flatter than the mic-key so Josh was very disappointed when he saw how raised the mic-key was. Tom (just1more) told us about the AMT Mini one button and our doc ordered it for us. WOW what a difference from the mic-key! It is slightly bigger than the Bard but much smaller than the mic-key.
<br />
<br />So, Pros for the bard- flatter and quicker recovery. Cons- surgically replaced.
<br />
<br />Pros- AMT- lower than the mic-key and easily replaced.
<br />
<br />BTW- in the left side column, there is MEDWIDGET where you can do some comparisons.
<br />
<br />PM if you have any questions!

jbrandonAW

I started out with the bard. I liked it b/c it was tiny, but you are right you have to be sedated to have it changed. I got the amt mini and I like it. The tubes stay connected way better than the mickey tubing and it doesn't leak. I also haven't had any issues with the balloon popping or anything. It does ooze/leak around the button at night during feeds but I don't think that is something you can help. I have found that actually taping it to me reduces the ooze but its still a little leaky.

As for being hungry. I normally get hungry around 3pm and eating right up until bed time.

jbrandonAW

I started out with the bard. I liked it b/c it was tiny, but you are right you have to be sedated to have it changed. I got the amt mini and I like it. The tubes stay connected way better than the mickey tubing and it doesn't leak. I also haven't had any issues with the balloon popping or anything. It does ooze/leak around the button at night during feeds but I don't think that is something you can help. I have found that actually taping it to me reduces the ooze but its still a little leaky.

As for being hungry. I normally get hungry around 3pm and eating right up until bed time.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />As for being hungry. I normally get hungry around 3pm and eating right up until bed time.