G-Tube tenderness

theLostMiler

I did some research on g-tubes before I got mine, but I am looking for more personal experiences.

I am still pretty sore even after bout 72 hours after it being placed... so I was wondering about average time to not feel it in the muscles anymore?

I am also pretty irritated b/c while I was on the table, they nurses showed me the tube and it is a regular PEG tube, I was told I was getting the "low profile" one nurse said they didnt have it in stock and didnt order it and then the other nurse says, "I have never seen them place a button or a low profile one in initially"... I think she was just saying it to cover her butt b/c I double checked on here after wards and re-read some old posts where a couple people said they by-passed the 6 weeks with the long tube... so now I have this gigantic tube coming out that is like a foot long and pretty thick in diametere... it is not no picc line iv or anything.

Anyways, any tips, advice or stories I would appreciate.

theLostMiler

I did some research on g-tubes before I got mine, but I am looking for more personal experiences.

I am still pretty sore even after bout 72 hours after it being placed... so I was wondering about average time to not feel it in the muscles anymore?

I am also pretty irritated b/c while I was on the table, they nurses showed me the tube and it is a regular PEG tube, I was told I was getting the "low profile" one nurse said they didnt have it in stock and didnt order it and then the other nurse says, "I have never seen them place a button or a low profile one in initially"... I think she was just saying it to cover her butt b/c I double checked on here after wards and re-read some old posts where a couple people said they by-passed the 6 weeks with the long tube... so now I have this gigantic tube coming out that is like a foot long and pretty thick in diametere... it is not no picc line iv or anything.

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I am still pretty sore even after bout 72 hours after it being placed... so I was wondering about average time to not feel it in the muscles anymore?
<br />
<br />I am also pretty irritated b/c while I was on the table, they nurses showed me the tube and it is a regular PEG tube, I was told I was getting the "low profile" one nurse said they didnt have it in stock and didnt order it and then the other nurse says, "I have never seen them place a button or a low profile one in initially"... I think she was just saying it to cover her butt b/c I double checked on here after wards and re-read some old posts where a couple people said they by-passed the 6 weeks with the long tube... so now I have this gigantic tube coming out that is like a foot long and pretty thick in diametere... it is not no picc line iv or anything.
<br />
<br />Anyways, any tips, advice or stories I would appreciate.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
It is normal to be sore for several days after the G-tube is placed. You should feel better soon.

It is annoying that they didn't tell you the low profile wasn't available. Did you know getting the peg was an option?

Your nurse is correct, many places don't place the low profile initially. Our hospital did give us the option (but I think it was only because they were pushing them to say yes to a g-tube at all). The peg <b>is</b> large and awkward but 6 weeks will go fast.

Good luck with your weight gain.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
It is normal to be sore for several days after the G-tube is placed. You should feel better soon.

It is annoying that they didn't tell you the low profile wasn't available. Did you know getting the peg was an option?

Your nurse is correct, many places don't place the low profile initially. Our hospital did give us the option (but I think it was only because they were pushing them to say yes to a g-tube at all). The peg <b>is</b> large and awkward but 6 weeks will go fast.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />It is annoying that they didn't tell you the low profile wasn't available. Did you know getting the peg was an option?
<br />
<br />Your nurse is correct, many places don't place the low profile initially. Our hospital did give us the option (but I think it was only because they were pushing them to say yes to a g-tube at all). The peg <b>is</b> large and awkward but 6 weeks will go fast.
<br />
<br />Good luck with your weight gain.

iwantmypup

Jane pretty much covered all I was going to say, I just wanted to wish you good luck with the weight gain! The gtube might take a while to get used to, but it really does help and to me, it was worth it.

iwantmypup

Jane pretty much covered all I was going to say, I just wanted to wish you good luck with the weight gain! The gtube might take a while to get used to, but it really does help and to me, it was worth it.

iwantmypup

iwantmypup

iwantmypup

theLostMiler

oh okay, well then I dont feel as bad. I am annoyed that the tube is like 2 feet long... I wasnt looking forward to having to tape something against me.

yea i think the 6 weeks will go fast. Ive been on almost a month of a continuous pump of cefoxitin already, with most likely another two weeks.

Plus before my port I had picc lines in for 6 months at a time...

I am about 105 right now, and in the past have used megace as an appetite stimulant and actually gain weight like crazy... but w/ tx talks in the making my doctor said with my bugs everything else should be spotless, including my weight, which I have always struggled with (I go down prety fast after stopping megace). I am only nervous about how much my appetite might go down w/ the tube, but its been on the table for probably 4 years now anyways, so I wanted to try it an see if I can have more maintainable weight than what I gain with megace...

Thanks for your replies though!

theLostMiler

oh okay, well then I dont feel as bad. I am annoyed that the tube is like 2 feet long... I wasnt looking forward to having to tape something against me.

yea i think the 6 weeks will go fast. Ive been on almost a month of a continuous pump of cefoxitin already, with most likely another two weeks.

I am about 105 right now, and in the past have used megace as an appetite stimulant and actually gain weight like crazy... but w/ tx talks in the making my doctor said with my bugs everything else should be spotless, including my weight, which I have always struggled with (I go down prety fast after stopping megace). I am only nervous about how much my appetite might go down w/ the tube, but its been on the table for probably 4 years now anyways, so I wanted to try it an see if I can have more maintainable weight than what I gain with megace...

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />yea i think the 6 weeks will go fast. Ive been on almost a month of a continuous pump of cefoxitin already, with most likely another two weeks.
<br />
<br />Plus before my port I had picc lines in for 6 months at a time...
<br />
<br />I am about 105 right now, and in the past have used megace as an appetite stimulant and actually gain weight like crazy... but w/ tx talks in the making my doctor said with my bugs everything else should be spotless, including my weight, which I have always struggled with (I go down prety fast after stopping megace). I am only nervous about how much my appetite might go down w/ the tube, but its been on the table for probably 4 years now anyways, so I wanted to try it an see if I can have more maintainable weight than what I gain with megace...
<br />
<br />Thanks for your replies though!