G-Tube?

erinjenkins

I have a son who is 3 and he recently leveled off at 30lbs for his weight, he went from the 25th to the 3rd%. The Drs really want him to gain alot of weight by his next appt in July or they want to put in in a G-tube. My questions are if anyone has any recipes that <u>really</u> work for gaining and if that doesn't work does anyone have a tube and can tell me more about it. I really don't know much about the pros and cons, all I know is the idea scares me to death.
Is the tube a life long commitment? Can it get pulled out? What does it feel like to be fed at night and to sleep with something attached to you? Does it effect how you eat during the day?
Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Erin

erinjenkins

I have a son who is 3 and he recently leveled off at 30lbs for his weight, he went from the 25th to the 3rd%. The Drs really want him to gain alot of weight by his next appt in July or they want to put in in a G-tube. My questions are if anyone has any recipes that <u>really</u> work for gaining and if that doesn't work does anyone have a tube and can tell me more about it. I really don't know much about the pros and cons, all I know is the idea scares me to death.
Is the tube a life long commitment? Can it get pulled out? What does it feel like to be fed at night and to sleep with something attached to you? Does it effect how you eat during the day?
Thanks, Erin

erinjenkins

Thanks, Erin

JazzysMom

Until some people start responding, you might want to do a search on the site. This topic has come up quite often and there are tons of responses!!! Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Until some people start responding, you might want to do a search on the site. This topic has come up quite often and there are tons of responses!!! Good Luck!

JazzysMom

NoExcuses

I can comment on the overall theory of the g-tube. Dr. Warwick (featured in the Bell Curve article in my signature) is a proponent.

You can read more about him in my blog. Scroll down to the bottom under categories and click "warwick letter." it's worth a read - his patients live the longest.

NoExcuses

I can comment on the overall theory of the g-tube. Dr. Warwick (featured in the Bell Curve article in my signature) is a proponent.

You can read more about him in my blog. Scroll down to the bottom under categories and click "warwick letter." it's worth a read - his patients live the longest.

NoExcuses

westonsmom

Hi, I don't know how much I can help. My son has a G tube but he has had it since the day after he was born. I don't know what life would be like without a G tube. Weston does not currently need to use his G tube. He did for a long time, and did do overnight feeds. It was easy to attach, and you really get used to it really quickly. It worked for him. Now he has no problems gaining weight and we only occasionally use it for medications (this is one of the pros of having a G tube). To be perfectly honest we don't even notice it anymore, and sometimes I wish my daughter had one (Meaning when she is sick and won't drink anything or take medicine). If you have any other questions that you think I can answer you can PM me.

westonsmom

Hi, I don't know how much I can help. My son has a G tube but he has had it since the day after he was born. I don't know what life would be like without a G tube. Weston does not currently need to use his G tube. He did for a long time, and did do overnight feeds. It was easy to attach, and you really get used to it really quickly. It worked for him. Now he has no problems gaining weight and we only occasionally use it for medications (this is one of the pros of having a G tube). To be perfectly honest we don't even notice it anymore, and sometimes I wish my daughter had one (Meaning when she is sick and won't drink anything or take medicine). If you have any other questions that you think I can answer you can PM me.

westonsmom

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Erin, here's a link to a recent thread about G-tubes.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=17503&enterthread=y
">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...d=17503&enterthread=y
</a>
My sons both have them and it has helped us tremendously. Everyone has a different opinion. Please read the comments (and very passionate debate) in the thread. PM me if you have questions. I'd be very happy to give you more info.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=17503&enterthread=y
</a>
My sons both have them and it has helped us tremendously. Everyone has a different opinion. Please read the comments (and very passionate debate) in the thread. PM me if you have questions. I'd be very happy to give you more info.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
</a>

erinjenkins

Thanks for all the info, I was wondering is anyone had tried appetite inhancing medicines before the G-tube, I'm doing alot of research and it just seems like such an extreme decision to go straight to the tube.

erinjenkins

Thanks for all the info, I was wondering is anyone had tried appetite inhancing medicines before the G-tube, I'm doing alot of research and it just seems like such an extreme decision to go straight to the tube.

erinjenkins

Foody

The above topic is really good...I would imagine anyone facing this would do exactly what you are doing. I would explore causes of inflammation and creating good gut ecology. Food allergy/sensativities may also be something to explore through traditional testing or a systme called NAET.

There are many natural methods you can try to reduce overall inflammation (probiotics, DHA, GSH, NAC, tumeric, cultured milk products), promote gut health and add calories with whole foods and healthy oils (coconut for example is great for the gut and has high medium chain fatty acids which are very easy to absorb and use in the body).

Perhap you can explore these and get a little more time to allow them to restore his gut health before considering GTube. If these things still don't help enough, you will do what is best for him. I'm sure many of the parents here will share positive results. We all will do our best for our kids no matter what their unique challenges are...

Happy researching,

Foody

The above topic is really good...I would imagine anyone facing this would do exactly what you are doing. I would explore causes of inflammation and creating good gut ecology. Food allergy/sensativities may also be something to explore through traditional testing or a systme called NAET.

There are many natural methods you can try to reduce overall inflammation (probiotics, DHA, GSH, NAC, tumeric, cultured milk products), promote gut health and add calories with whole foods and healthy oils (coconut for example is great for the gut and has high medium chain fatty acids which are very easy to absorb and use in the body).

Perhap you can explore these and get a little more time to allow them to restore his gut health before considering GTube. If these things still don't help enough, you will do what is best for him. I'm sure many of the parents here will share positive results. We all will do our best for our kids no matter what their unique challenges are...

Happy researching,