G-tubes

V

vicsmom

My daughter got her g-tube last year in Nov. She was 13 then. She was scared as we all were. Her doctor for the past 2 years wanted her to get a g-tube, but I told him that I wanted to try and put the weight on. He agreed, but he said the probabilty that she would have to get the tube would be more likely. Man I wish what I know now I knew then. Yes, it's an adjustment but well worth it. The first week my daughter also, stayed on the couch not moving much, She was saying that it hurt. When she went back to school, they were very helpful. They had someone to help her with her bookbag for the first couple of weeks. And if she wasn't sure of something, they let her go to the nurse and she would call me. There was a little drainage but it was normal. Nothing of infection.

She's gained close to 20lbs. the doctors started her on 4 cans, but she was gaining the weight to fast and with each vist brought the ratio down to 2 cans. This last visit she had lost a few pounds, but the doctor thought she needed that extra can, so now is on 3 cans a night.

Sorry for so long, but I do wish everyone with a g-tube all well.

V

vicsmom

My daughter got her g-tube last year in Nov. She was 13 then. She was scared as we all were. Her doctor for the past 2 years wanted her to get a g-tube, but I told him that I wanted to try and put the weight on. He agreed, but he said the probabilty that she would have to get the tube would be more likely. Man I wish what I know now I knew then. Yes, it's an adjustment but well worth it. The first week my daughter also, stayed on the couch not moving much, She was saying that it hurt. When she went back to school, they were very helpful. They had someone to help her with her bookbag for the first couple of weeks. And if she wasn't sure of something, they let her go to the nurse and she would call me. There was a little drainage but it was normal. Nothing of infection.

She's gained close to 20lbs. the doctors started her on 4 cans, but she was gaining the weight to fast and with each vist brought the ratio down to 2 cans. This last visit she had lost a few pounds, but the doctor thought she needed that extra can, so now is on 3 cans a night.

V

vicsmom

V

vicsmom

V

vicsmom

D

domsmom

Lisa,
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope things get better. I do not have any advice about the g-tube, however in my former life I was a medical biller for home infusion. Your insurance should cover the cost of the formulas. Insurance probably needs a letter of medical necessity from your doc. I am not sure as I don't know their reason for denial. If you want you can PM me and I can try and help you sort through the insurance stuff. I can help you with your appeal. Good luck with all.

D

domsmom

Lisa,
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope things get better. I do not have any advice about the g-tube, however in my former life I was a medical biller for home infusion. Your insurance should cover the cost of the formulas. Insurance probably needs a letter of medical necessity from your doc. I am not sure as I don't know their reason for denial. If you want you can PM me and I can try and help you sort through the insurance stuff. I can help you with your appeal. Good luck with all.

D

domsmom

Lisa,

D

domsmom

Lisa,

D

domsmom

Lisa,

thefrogprincess

I really don't have much advice for you, but I think what has already been said is very good. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am somewhat suprised that they would put tubes in both boys at the same time. That is A LOT for you and your husband to handle at once.

They probably need some more time to recover before they really feel like going outside. My brother only went to school for half a day at a time for about a week after coming home from the hospital when he had his placed. He was still in pain and did not feel like running around outside either. Having a tube placed is common but that does not mean it is simple. They have had hole punched through them. It goes through a lot of muscle and that takes time to heal. It will get better. My brother used to go snow boarding with his mickey button. They might be feeling like they are never going to feel the same, or like they will never get to do their favorite things ever again. I encourage you to seek some psychiatric help for them, and for you. There is nothing wrong with getting proffessional help to manage your stress and their depression.

thefrogprincess

I really don't have much advice for you, but I think what has already been said is very good. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am somewhat suprised that they would put tubes in both boys at the same time. That is A LOT for you and your husband to handle at once.

They probably need some more time to recover before they really feel like going outside. My brother only went to school for half a day at a time for about a week after coming home from the hospital when he had his placed. He was still in pain and did not feel like running around outside either. Having a tube placed is common but that does not mean it is simple. They have had hole punched through them. It goes through a lot of muscle and that takes time to heal. It will get better. My brother used to go snow boarding with his mickey button. They might be feeling like they are never going to feel the same, or like they will never get to do their favorite things ever again. I encourage you to seek some psychiatric help for them, and for you. There is nothing wrong with getting proffessional help to manage your stress and their depression.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess