Gallbladder Problems

Paige3

We just recently found out 12 yo ds's gallbladder is only functioning at 24%. Nurse called in a prescription for Actigall and said they want to see if this will jumpstart his gallbladder. They also want him to follow a low fat diet to see if that will help. He has a follow up appointment at the end of this month so we will see what the Dr. has to say then.

So far the Actigall doesn't seem to be helping him. Does anyone know of any other medicine the Dr. might want to try? Or has anyone's child had to have their gallbladder removed?

Paige3

We just recently found out 12 yo ds's gallbladder is only functioning at 24%. Nurse called in a prescription for Actigall and said they want to see if this will jumpstart his gallbladder. They also want him to follow a low fat diet to see if that will help. He has a follow up appointment at the end of this month so we will see what the Dr. has to say then.

So far the Actigall doesn't seem to be helping him. Does anyone know of any other medicine the Dr. might want to try? Or has anyone's child had to have their gallbladder removed?

Paige3

<br />
<br />So far the Actigall doesn't seem to be helping him. Does anyone know of any other medicine the Dr. might want to try? Or has anyone's child had to have their gallbladder removed?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any other medications. DS has been on actigall since he was a baby. I'm thinking it's not exactly a fast acting medication. DS' doctor did mention that he has his patients begin to get ultrasounds on their gallbladders in their early teens, due to potential gallbladder issues.

You may want to post this in the adult section, as I know there are a number of individuals who've had gallbladder issues, have had theirs removed, are dealing with sludge, gallstones....

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any other medications. DS has been on actigall since he was a baby. I'm thinking it's not exactly a fast acting medication. DS' doctor did mention that he has his patients begin to get ultrasounds on their gallbladders in their early teens, due to potential gallbladder issues.

You may want to post this in the adult section, as I know there are a number of individuals who've had gallbladder issues, have had theirs removed, are dealing with sludge, gallstones....

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />You may want to post this in the adult section, as I know there are a number of individuals who've had gallbladder issues, have had theirs removed, are dealing with sludge, gallstones....

K

Keepercjr

Well I'm an adult but I can speak to the removal aspect. I had mine removed this summer because it was chock full of stones and my common bile duct was completely blocked and I was getting severely ill. The removal surgery itself is done via laparoscope. I have 5 small incisions on my belly where they inserted their instruments. Recovery time wasn't bad at all. Of course I was sore and it hurt to cough but I only took my pain meds for 2 days and tried to cough as gently as I could. My surgeon told me that about 5% of the time they have to do a classical incision which has a much longer recovery time.

Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgeries performed here in the US and can often be done as an outpatient! I was supposed to have mine done outpatient (went the ER early in the morning) but due to the complications of the stones, I spent a night in the hospital and had my 2 procedures the next day and went home late that evening.

As for how my digestion is now - I do have to avoid really fatty meals or I will pay the next day (lots of time spent on the potty). Since I no longer have a storage of bile, bile just continuously drips into my small intestine and there isn't enough to digest large loads of fat. The dietitian at my clinic said that they tell their patients who no longer have gallbladders that you CAN consume as much fat as before but you have to spread it out during the day, not all at once. My diet is not high fat to begin with so it hasn't been too bad - I am just learning about my limits.

I have a very good friend who is a retired surgeon and she explained to me this way : Back when we were a hunter/gatherer society , we needed our gallbladders to help us digest our meals that didn't come as frequently as they do now. The gallbladder is not a necessity in today's modern society due to the readily available supply of food (ie grocery store). Sure it isn't something we want to remove w/o a reason but we can survive just fine without it.

K

Keepercjr

Well I'm an adult but I can speak to the removal aspect. I had mine removed this summer because it was chock full of stones and my common bile duct was completely blocked and I was getting severely ill. The removal surgery itself is done via laparoscope. I have 5 small incisions on my belly where they inserted their instruments. Recovery time wasn't bad at all. Of course I was sore and it hurt to cough but I only took my pain meds for 2 days and tried to cough as gently as I could. My surgeon told me that about 5% of the time they have to do a classical incision which has a much longer recovery time.

Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgeries performed here in the US and can often be done as an outpatient! I was supposed to have mine done outpatient (went the ER early in the morning) but due to the complications of the stones, I spent a night in the hospital and had my 2 procedures the next day and went home late that evening.

As for how my digestion is now - I do have to avoid really fatty meals or I will pay the next day (lots of time spent on the potty). Since I no longer have a storage of bile, bile just continuously drips into my small intestine and there isn't enough to digest large loads of fat. The dietitian at my clinic said that they tell their patients who no longer have gallbladders that you CAN consume as much fat as before but you have to spread it out during the day, not all at once. My diet is not high fat to begin with so it hasn't been too bad - I am just learning about my limits.

I have a very good friend who is a retired surgeon and she explained to me this way : Back when we were a hunter/gatherer society , we needed our gallbladders to help us digest our meals that didn't come as frequently as they do now. The gallbladder is not a necessity in today's modern society due to the readily available supply of food (ie grocery store). Sure it isn't something we want to remove w/o a reason but we can survive just fine without it.

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgeries performed here in the US and can often be done as an outpatient! I was supposed to have mine done outpatient (went the ER early in the morning) but due to the complications of the stones, I spent a night in the hospital and had my 2 procedures the next day and went home late that evening.
<br />
<br />As for how my digestion is now - I do have to avoid really fatty meals or I will pay the next day (lots of time spent on the potty). Since I no longer have a storage of bile, bile just continuously drips into my small intestine and there isn't enough to digest large loads of fat. The dietitian at my clinic said that they tell their patients who no longer have gallbladders that you CAN consume as much fat as before but you have to spread it out during the day, not all at once. My diet is not high fat to begin with so it hasn't been too bad - I am just learning about my limits.
<br />
<br />I have a very good friend who is a retired surgeon and she explained to me this way : Back when we were a hunter/gatherer society , we needed our gallbladders to help us digest our meals that didn't come as frequently as they do now. The gallbladder is not a necessity in today's modern society due to the readily available supply of food (ie grocery store). Sure it isn't something we want to remove w/o a reason but we can survive just fine without it.

MMBinNC

I had my gallbladder removed in December. It was an easy surgery and I had very little pain and no complications. I had a port and G-Tube inserted at the same time so take the little pain with a grain of salt, as I suspect all of the pain medication came from the G-Tube, but still it was like 2 days in and from there no problems whatsoever.

MMBinNC

I had my gallbladder removed in December. It was an easy surgery and I had very little pain and no complications. I had a port and G-Tube inserted at the same time so take the little pain with a grain of salt, as I suspect all of the pain medication came from the G-Tube, but still it was like 2 days in and from there no problems whatsoever.

MMBinNC

kirstynkoffs

Arrrh! Gall bladders are nasty little things! I started having pain at 15. Some days it was so bad I would be rolling on the floor in pain. Test after test came back without answers, while some doctors touched on the fact that it might be gb probs they thought I was too young. The pain would come in waves, a week of pain then nothing for months. The problems escalated when I turned 19 and doctors could not give me answers, I was on strong pain meds and eventually got to the point I was hospitalized for pain management. The pain meds really knocked my lungs around but with no definite answers and doctors certain I was too young for it to be gb I remained in hospital for three months. Eventually I spoke to a surgeon who with the ok from my cf team agreed to chance it and take the stupid thing out. I have never been so happy about surgery. Out it came and suprise suprised I had the sickest gb they had ever seen BLACK dead tissue FULL of "gravel". While taking it out solved the pain my lung function was shot. Baseline 30% from about 60%. lack of excercise and hardcore pain meds (which I went cold turkey on post op and suffered HORRIBLE withdrawals) had taken it's toll. While my story might not be overly helpful to you my point is poor gall bladder CAN be very serious, for me it was life threatening. While a medical history might be rare it is not impossible and doctors should treat it for what it is.

Hope it works out for you, best of luck.

kirstynkoffs

Arrrh! Gall bladders are nasty little things! I started having pain at 15. Some days it was so bad I would be rolling on the floor in pain. Test after test came back without answers, while some doctors touched on the fact that it might be gb probs they thought I was too young. The pain would come in waves, a week of pain then nothing for months. The problems escalated when I turned 19 and doctors could not give me answers, I was on strong pain meds and eventually got to the point I was hospitalized for pain management. The pain meds really knocked my lungs around but with no definite answers and doctors certain I was too young for it to be gb I remained in hospital for three months. Eventually I spoke to a surgeon who with the ok from my cf team agreed to chance it and take the stupid thing out. I have never been so happy about surgery. Out it came and suprise suprised I had the sickest gb they had ever seen BLACK dead tissue FULL of "gravel". While taking it out solved the pain my lung function was shot. Baseline 30% from about 60%. lack of excercise and hardcore pain meds (which I went cold turkey on post op and suffered HORRIBLE withdrawals) had taken it's toll. While my story might not be overly helpful to you my point is poor gall bladder CAN be very serious, for me it was life threatening. While a medical history might be rare it is not impossible and doctors should treat it for what it is.

Hope it works out for you, best of luck.

kirstynkoffs

<br />
<br />Hope it works out for you, best of luck.

Paige3

Thanks everyone. Ds hasn't been on the Actigall very long. He had an ultrasound and HIDA scan the same day. The nurse said the ultrasound was ok, no gallstones or blockages but the HIDA scan showed function was only 24%. He has had stomach pain for a long time so I am concerned that his gallbladder may be diseased and need to be removed.

I had my gallbladder removed a long time ago but I was kind of surprised that children can have this problem too. Looks like it maybe pretty common. Will see what the GI recommends on the 30th.

Paige3

Thanks everyone. Ds hasn't been on the Actigall very long. He had an ultrasound and HIDA scan the same day. The nurse said the ultrasound was ok, no gallstones or blockages but the HIDA scan showed function was only 24%. He has had stomach pain for a long time so I am concerned that his gallbladder may be diseased and need to be removed.

I had my gallbladder removed a long time ago but I was kind of surprised that children can have this problem too. Looks like it maybe pretty common. Will see what the GI recommends on the 30th.

Paige3

<br />
<br />I had my gallbladder removed a long time ago but I was kind of surprised that children can have this problem too. Looks like it maybe pretty common. Will see what the GI recommends on the 30th.