Gb surgery

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were told when DS becomes a teen that he should start having ultrasounds done on his gallbladder. Same issues with extra thick mucus, can affect other organs --- gallbladder included. Heard some people on this site indicate their GBs are full of "sludge", gallstones... DS currently is on actigall (urisidiol) or bile salts to keep his liver and gallbladder healthy. He was put on this as a baby in the NICU due to issues with his liver.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
My child had his gallbladder removed at 3 MONTHS old - he already had gallstones! Incredible, but the surgeon said he figured he might as well take his gallbladder out while he was in there flushing his clogged liver since it would doubtlessly wind up giving him pain and need to be removed eventually anyway. He had been in NICU on TPN (the nutritional IVs) immediately after birth. The TPN was toxic to his liver because of the sticky mucous. Eventually his liver became clogged and had to be flushed once taken off the TPN. He too, like Ratatosk, is on Ursidiol for his liver, but his gallbladder is long gone.

I wouldn't sweat it, if I were you!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
TPN was also the cause of ds' liver issues and the reason for ursidiol. He was on TPN for about 3 weeks as a baby and again for about 2 weeks ag age 6. Once taken off TPN and on regular food, his levels stabilized, but still monitored with annual bloodwork.

From what I understand, those who've had their GB removed had lots of pain and were relieved when they finally had it removed.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Interesting. DS was on TPN for about 5 weeks - absolutely fried his little liver. He jaundiced rapidly after release and became very very sick. He was readmitted for surgery to flush his liver of the clogged sticky mucous and the TPN. Makes me wonder if they suspect CF at birth, isn't there something else yet that they can give them for nutrition that won't cause such a ruckus!

Jessica Gomez

Struggled for 2 years before they did tests to see what was wrong and only saw sludge on ultrasound and only stones when they removed my gallbladder during surgery