General Update

Buckeye

I wonder if they need the sweat test number as just an indicator of how well her CFTR is working. The higher the sweat test number the less the CFTR is working and the lower the sweat test number the better the CFTR is working. But I have also heard (on this board) that the sweat test score isn't indicative of serverity over the long run of the disease so maybe they are just required to get a sweat test for their CF data tracking. Will be interested to hear what they say.

Buckeye

I wonder if they need the sweat test number as just an indicator of how well her CFTR is working. The higher the sweat test number the less the CFTR is working and the lower the sweat test number the better the CFTR is working. But I have also heard (on this board) that the sweat test score isn't indicative of serverity over the long run of the disease so maybe they are just required to get a sweat test for their CF data tracking. Will be interested to hear what they say.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Maggie has never had a sweat test; she had prenatal genetic testing. I am not familiar at all with sweat testing # being an indicator for severity of illness. Course, you could ask the doc to show the science to back up the use of the sweat test in this manner.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Maggie has never had a sweat test; she had prenatal genetic testing. I am not familiar at all with sweat testing # being an indicator for severity of illness. Course, you could ask the doc to show the science to back up the use of the sweat test in this manner.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

A

Andrea

I thought the same thing when Ben had to have a sweat test. They already had the genetic testing so why spend the money on a sweat test (I'd rather the money insurance is paying for the sweat test go to research to find a cure.) The doctor at our CF clinic told me the sweat test numbers were just to confirm the diagnosis. (I'm going to ask again when we go to his appt. on Wednesday since his numbers seem high) Ben had his sweat test done twice. The first time at 3 weeks, and they didn't collect enough sweat. The next time at 2 and a half months. His numbers were 99 and 94. The test was easy they attach little electrodes to the arms and then hook up seperate little sweat collecters on each arm to collect the sweat after the electrodes come off. Ben didn't mind it much,and he hates being poked on. She should do great!!!

A

Andrea

I thought the same thing when Ben had to have a sweat test. They already had the genetic testing so why spend the money on a sweat test (I'd rather the money insurance is paying for the sweat test go to research to find a cure.) The doctor at our CF clinic told me the sweat test numbers were just to confirm the diagnosis. (I'm going to ask again when we go to his appt. on Wednesday since his numbers seem high) Ben had his sweat test done twice. The first time at 3 weeks, and they didn't collect enough sweat. The next time at 2 and a half months. His numbers were 99 and 94. The test was easy they attach little electrodes to the arms and then hook up seperate little sweat collecters on each arm to collect the sweat after the electrodes come off. Ben didn't mind it much,and he hates being poked on. She should do great!!!

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

M

Mommafirst

Hey Em, glad to "see" you.

The sweat test will be a breeze. Its the least invasive test I know of. Just take something to keep her occupied for half an hour or so (I got these cool books that paint with just water inside the brush -- no mess and a toddlers joy).

I'm not sure I'm following your doc either. I can only guess that he figures that if her sweat numbers are high that her CFTR isn't functioning and he wants to get more aggressive. I doubt he would want to reduce treatments though if she has a low sweat score.

Let us know how it goes.

M

Mommafirst

The sweat test will be a breeze. Its the least invasive test I know of. Just take something to keep her occupied for half an hour or so (I got these cool books that paint with just water inside the brush -- no mess and a toddlers joy).

I'm not sure I'm following your doc either. I can only guess that he figures that if her sweat numbers are high that her CFTR isn't functioning and he wants to get more aggressive. I doubt he would want to reduce treatments though if she has a low sweat score.

Let us know how it goes.

M

Mommafirst

Let us know how it goes.

M

Mommafirst

Let us know how it goes.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />The sweat test will be a breeze. Its the least invasive test I know of. Just take something to keep her occupied for half an hour or so (I got these cool books that paint with just water inside the brush -- no mess and a toddlers joy).
<br />
<br />I'm not sure I'm following your doc either. I can only guess that he figures that if her sweat numbers are high that her CFTR isn't functioning and he wants to get more aggressive. I doubt he would want to reduce treatments though if she has a low sweat score.
<br />
<br />Let us know how it goes.