Generic Pulmozyme

rtorres25

I just got a letter from my insurance saying Pulmozyme is now on the non-preferred drug list, b/c there is a new generic called Acetylcyst solution. Has anyone used it? I was able to refill Pulmozyme under my co-pay assistance plan, but I'm not sure how long that will work.

Thanks!
Rhonda

nmw0615

As far as I know, Dornase Alfa is the "generic" of pulmozyme. Because pulmozyme is made with live cells or organisms, a generic form can't be made. There's rules against it. However, the solution you named is, I think, part of the same mucolytic family.

I'm not 100% sure if the law against biopharmacuticals has changed any, though.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Rhonda,

Ugh, insurance companies.

No, acetylcysteine is the generic for the brand name drug Mucomyst. I have been on acetylcysteine as long as I can remember. Nmw is correct, they are both mucolytics, but not the same drug at all and work differently. I'd give your insurance company a call asap, and ask about this. For the record, I take both Pulmozyme and acetylcysteine.

Good luck to you! This is something that *should* be easily worked out since they are wrong and there, in fact, is no generic for Pulmozyme. But I say *should* because it seems like often dealing with insurance is a nightmare. Blah.

Take care and let us know what you find out,

Autumn 33 w/CF

sroeseler

it's cells from hamster ovaries but dornase is not generic, that it is just the name of the drug, pulmozyme being it's common name

sroeseler

united healthcare just did a similar thing to us. both my sons have been on it since birth and they suddenly denied it and after speaking with them we had to have the doctor contact them and get prior authorization again. the change was that united no longer covered the drug from a pick up pharmacy, we have to use their mail order pharmacy for the pulmozyme. it caused a delay in getting it but it's covered now