Gentamicin

damiensmom

I would like to know who has sufferd any hearing loss from iv Gentamicin. Does anyone refuse to be treated with it? Do you know of another antibiotic safer. Why do use it with such chances of hearing loss? I post in adults thinking I can get more info from people who would know first hand being treated with it more than 1x. I want to be informed and aware of any other options to improve the chances of hearing loss not happening to my son. I do not like what I have read in pub med . Scares the hell out of me Damien has already had iv gentamicin and I do not think I want him to be treated with it. Info please

damiensmom

I would like to know who has sufferd any hearing loss from iv Gentamicin. Does anyone refuse to be treated with it? Do you know of another antibiotic safer. Why do use it with such chances of hearing loss? I post in adults thinking I can get more info from people who would know first hand being treated with it more than 1x. I want to be informed and aware of any other options to improve the chances of hearing loss not happening to my son. I do not like what I have read in pub med . Scares the hell out of me Damien has already had iv gentamicin and I do not think I want him to be treated with it. Info please

damiensmom

eli

Hi Aria,

I'm not sure if i can answer your question, but i just wanted to say that i too have heard that the Gentamiacin sp? can impair/affect your hearing.

If i were you, i would pose this question to the doc's looking after Damien and i would as k them to recommend a more safer antibiotic with less harsh side affects.

I know when Olivia was put in iv's they had her on Cefalexen/cefataxene, i can't remember the exact name of it. It apparently is supposed to be better.

As for orals, she is on Fluclox 2.5ml of the 250mg strength twice a day.

Hope you find the answers your looking for.

eli

Hi Aria,

I'm not sure if i can answer your question, but i just wanted to say that i too have heard that the Gentamiacin sp? can impair/affect your hearing.

If i were you, i would pose this question to the doc's looking after Damien and i would as k them to recommend a more safer antibiotic with less harsh side affects.

I know when Olivia was put in iv's they had her on Cefalexen/cefataxene, i can't remember the exact name of it. It apparently is supposed to be better.

eli

Hi Aria,

M

melleemac

My boys had a reaction to gentamycin and ibprofen when they were younger. Had total renal failure and ended up on kidney dialysis for two months. Not sure wether it was the med or the dialysis, but Mikey suffered damage to the part of the brain that deals with his balance. The nuerologist says it is permanent, and he will always have trouble with his balance.
Mel

M

melleemac

My boys had a reaction to gentamycin and ibprofen when they were younger. Had total renal failure and ended up on kidney dialysis for two months. Not sure wether it was the med or the dialysis, but Mikey suffered damage to the part of the brain that deals with his balance. The nuerologist says it is permanent, and he will always have trouble with his balance.
Mel

M

melleemac

Mel

kybert

is there a reason why they arent using tobramycin? or cant they use it in kids that young? the risk of hearing loss is slightly less with tob. the best thing you can do is just get blood levels checked regularly so he is not being overdosed, make sure the medication goes through slowly for at least 30 mins and get his hearing checked every so often. dont get too paranoid about it. ive only heard of a couple of cases of people having mild hearing loss and thats pretty good considering most of us have been taking high doses of antibiotics in that class for our whole lives.

kybert

is there a reason why they arent using tobramycin? or cant they use it in kids that young? the risk of hearing loss is slightly less with tob. the best thing you can do is just get blood levels checked regularly so he is not being overdosed, make sure the medication goes through slowly for at least 30 mins and get his hearing checked every so often. dont get too paranoid about it. ive only heard of a couple of cases of people having mild hearing loss and thats pretty good considering most of us have been taking high doses of antibiotics in that class for our whole lives.

kybert

Diane

I havent had Gentamicin in many many years. But i did recently have iv Amikacin and it did cause decreased hearing in my left ear. I told my Dr. and she said to stop taking it immediately. Its been almost a week and a half since i stopped the Amikacin and my hearing is slooooowly getting back to normal. I've had iv Tobramycin many times and never had a problem with that.

Diane

I havent had Gentamicin in many many years. But i did recently have iv Amikacin and it did cause decreased hearing in my left ear. I told my Dr. and she said to stop taking it immediately. Its been almost a week and a half since i stopped the Amikacin and my hearing is slooooowly getting back to normal. I've had iv Tobramycin many times and never had a problem with that.

Diane

I

IG

Gentamicin is in the drug group called Aminoglycosides.
Aminoglycosides include amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, netilmicin, paromomycin, streptomycin, tobramycin and apramycin.
All of these drugs carry the risk of ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity. Basically hearing problems and kidney problems due to too much of the medication 'poisoning' the body.

Does anyone refuse to be treated with it?
No tobra was the only medication that my bug was not resistant to.
Do you know of another antibiotic safer?
Not really all of the drugs in the group can cause problems, but it's not a guarantee that they will and it's a risk. It depends on what bugs you have and what they're resistant to and what they're not.

Additionally drugs like this should be monitored while being given, with plenty of blood tests while on it to make sure the levels being given are correct for the person being given to. I've always said and will continue to say that if you hear ringing in your ears, or feel off with your hearing always stop the med and inform your doctor. Since aminoglycosides treat gram negative and gram positive bacteria they're pretty common in use. (used against Pseudo, etc)

Really how these drugs affect a person are varied. I was using tobra, and gentimycin for just under 10 years before my hearing loss. So it's different for each person.

I

IG

Aminoglycosides include amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, netilmicin, paromomycin, streptomycin, tobramycin and apramycin.
All of these drugs carry the risk of ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity. Basically hearing problems and kidney problems due to too much of the medication 'poisoning' the body.

Not really all of the drugs in the group can cause problems, but it's not a guarantee that they will and it's a risk. It depends on what bugs you have and what they're resistant to and what they're not.

Additionally drugs like this should be monitored while being given, with plenty of blood tests while on it to make sure the levels being given are correct for the person being given to. I've always said and will continue to say that if you hear ringing in your ears, or feel off with your hearing always stop the med and inform your doctor. Since aminoglycosides treat gram negative and gram positive bacteria they're pretty common in use. (used against Pseudo, etc)

Really how these drugs affect a person are varied. I was using tobra, and gentimycin for just under 10 years before my hearing loss. So it's different for each person.

I

IG

beleache

Hi Aria, This is one of the first topics i talked about when i first foung this site several weeks ago. About two years ago i was in the hostital for a tune-up. I was on tobramycin and cefipine. I was Not on iv fluids (first mistake) was vomiting and had diareaha for several days. Neither the nurses of the doctor on call that weekend picked any of this up (another mistake) I also believe that when i reached a certain level, they didn't check my levels the way they should have. (final mistake) I didn't know where i was or who i or any one else was for about three days. ( I had, i believe some kind of out of body expierence, another story) I went into kidney faliure and needed several dialysis treatments. I ended up with a dvt (clot) after they took out the perma cath, for the dialysis. I had to be on blood thinners for six months. Besides scareing the s--t out of my family and myself some good came out of that expierence, I have a new faith in God that iv'e never had before, and i'm much more carefull about what is going on with my health.. I'm not afraid to ask questions. and to question when i feel it is necessary. Oh and yes i have permanent ringing in my ears.... I did sign off on that happening, but never really thought it would.... I hope you and everyone else tries to make informed decisions for themselves and loved ones...and yes somitimes you don't have a choice, but very often you do... it's you life...sorry so long....Joni 54 y/o w c/f

beleache

Hi Aria, This is one of the first topics i talked about when i first foung this site several weeks ago. About two years ago i was in the hostital for a tune-up. I was on tobramycin and cefipine. I was Not on iv fluids (first mistake) was vomiting and had diareaha for several days. Neither the nurses of the doctor on call that weekend picked any of this up (another mistake) I also believe that when i reached a certain level, they didn't check my levels the way they should have. (final mistake) I didn't know where i was or who i or any one else was for about three days. ( I had, i believe some kind of out of body expierence, another story) I went into kidney faliure and needed several dialysis treatments. I ended up with a dvt (clot) after they took out the perma cath, for the dialysis. I had to be on blood thinners for six months. Besides scareing the s--t out of my family and myself some good came out of that expierence, I have a new faith in God that iv'e never had before, and i'm much more carefull about what is going on with my health.. I'm not afraid to ask questions. and to question when i feel it is necessary. Oh and yes i have permanent ringing in my ears.... I did sign off on that happening, but never really thought it would.... I hope you and everyone else tries to make informed decisions for themselves and loved ones...and yes somitimes you don't have a choice, but very often you do... it's you life...sorry so long....Joni 54 y/o w c/f