Getting a job...?

longhorn4life

According to the government website I'm not qualified for government disability aid even though I've been diagnosed with three separate disabilities by three different doctors because none of them are "severe" enough. My FEV1 is normal, I go to the hospital 1-2 times a year as opposed to the 6 required, and I'm not physically deformed (from my RA). Add to that the fact that I've never really worked so I don't have enough "credits", I'm not eligible.

Also, I can't keep expecting my dad to pay my bills forever and there's no way I'm moving back in with my family after graduation and living off them.

So I guess it's time for me to get a job...? The only problem is that I've only had a real job once in my life and it lasted two months. It ended because my RA got so bad from the hours I spent on my feet that I couldn't even walk anymore, so I had to quit. So that's a concern. Also, I've fallen below full time at school twice in the last three semesters due to illness and I almost did so three times, so I'm worried about being able to actually make it to work when I'm supposed to be there.

Any advice?

longhorn4life

According to the government website I'm not qualified for government disability aid even though I've been diagnosed with three separate disabilities by three different doctors because none of them are "severe" enough. My FEV1 is normal, I go to the hospital 1-2 times a year as opposed to the 6 required, and I'm not physically deformed (from my RA). Add to that the fact that I've never really worked so I don't have enough "credits", I'm not eligible.

Also, I can't keep expecting my dad to pay my bills forever and there's no way I'm moving back in with my family after graduation and living off them.

So I guess it's time for me to get a job...? The only problem is that I've only had a real job once in my life and it lasted two months. It ended because my RA got so bad from the hours I spent on my feet that I couldn't even walk anymore, so I had to quit. So that's a concern. Also, I've fallen below full time at school twice in the last three semesters due to illness and I almost did so three times, so I'm worried about being able to actually make it to work when I'm supposed to be there.

Any advice?

longhorn4life

<br />
<br />Also, I can't keep expecting my dad to pay my bills forever and there's no way I'm moving back in with my family after graduation and living off them.
<br />
<br />So I guess it's time for me to get a job...? The only problem is that I've only had a real job once in my life and it lasted two months. It ended because my RA got so bad from the hours I spent on my feet that I couldn't even walk anymore, so I had to quit. So that's a concern. Also, I've fallen below full time at school twice in the last three semesters due to illness and I almost did so three times, so I'm worried about being able to actually make it to work when I'm supposed to be there.
<br />
<br />Any advice?

theLostMiler

Did you look under the NTM criteria? I fit under that one and the FEV1.

I dont remember what it was, but maybe then?

Otherwise, I'll be waiting to read some others replies... I have heard a lot of cf'ers try to do stay at home jobs... one i was interested in was medical transcribing b/c I type like a bamf! and if i could do it from home, it wouldnt matter what time of day it was or if I had enough energy to take a shower etc.

I just got my degree in civil engineering but most likely wont be using it until after a transplant (I hope anyways).

I could probably do part time work (but my fevers and lung function are quite pesky these days) but I dont see how its even feasible to be part time engineer, especially one that just started 'out in the real world'. I feel like I would just get to work and then have to leave once i got anythign started.... I did an internship part time, and i learned basically nothing b/c I couldnt really get in on any projects b/c my fevers and abx (I was on ivs that summer) had me all over the place. i felt like a complete waste.

I might try to do grad school (I have to take some classes though to get my gpa high enough to qualify, thank you CF) and do like one class at a time... i like having a schedule b/c it gives me "reason" to get up and do stuff... but its soooo stressful when I am sick and I have a class to worry about.

Anyways, there is my rant haha

theLostMiler

I dont remember what it was, but maybe then?

Otherwise, I'll be waiting to read some others replies... I have heard a lot of cf'ers try to do stay at home jobs... one i was interested in was medical transcribing b/c I type like a bamf! and if i could do it from home, it wouldnt matter what time of day it was or if I had enough energy to take a shower etc.

I just got my degree in civil engineering but most likely wont be using it until after a transplant (I hope anyways).

I could probably do part time work (but my fevers and lung function are quite pesky these days) but I dont see how its even feasible to be part time engineer, especially one that just started 'out in the real world'. I feel like I would just get to work and then have to leave once i got anythign started.... I did an internship part time, and i learned basically nothing b/c I couldnt really get in on any projects b/c my fevers and abx (I was on ivs that summer) had me all over the place. i felt like a complete waste.

I might try to do grad school (I have to take some classes though to get my gpa high enough to qualify, thank you CF) and do like one class at a time... i like having a schedule b/c it gives me "reason" to get up and do stuff... but its soooo stressful when I am sick and I have a class to worry about.

Anyways, there is my rant haha

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I dont remember what it was, but maybe then?
<br />
<br />Otherwise, I'll be waiting to read some others replies... I have heard a lot of cf'ers try to do stay at home jobs... one i was interested in was medical transcribing b/c I type like a bamf! and if i could do it from home, it wouldnt matter what time of day it was or if I had enough energy to take a shower etc.
<br />
<br />I just got my degree in civil engineering but most likely wont be using it until after a transplant (I hope anyways).
<br />
<br />I could probably do part time work (but my fevers and lung function are quite pesky these days) but I dont see how its even feasible to be part time engineer, especially one that just started 'out in the real world'. I feel like I would just get to work and then have to leave once i got anythign started.... I did an internship part time, and i learned basically nothing b/c I couldnt really get in on any projects b/c my fevers and abx (I was on ivs that summer) had me all over the place. i felt like a complete waste.
<br />
<br />I might try to do grad school (I have to take some classes though to get my gpa high enough to qualify, thank you CF) and do like one class at a time... i like having a schedule b/c it gives me "reason" to get up and do stuff... but its soooo stressful when I am sick and I have a class to worry about.
<br />
<br />Anyways, there is my rant haha

CFGurl16

I've tried getting a job. I'm 19 and I still live with my dad and the only job i seem to get is working with him.... So I know I'm much help but maybe try like 7evlen or a small store for now to get some "credit" built up then go for the bigger jobs.

I hope I helped a little bit.

CFGurl16

I've tried getting a job. I'm 19 and I still live with my dad and the only job i seem to get is working with him.... So I know I'm much help but maybe try like 7evlen or a small store for now to get some "credit" built up then go for the bigger jobs.

I hope I helped a little bit.

CFGurl16

<br />
<br />I hope I helped a little bit.

krisgabes

I went to school and completed a Master's degree and a state license in Social work. I know how you feel though because there were many times I didn't think I'd be able to get through it all the while being sick!

The key to finding a good job is finding people to work for who are understanding to your illness. I was lucky enough to find an agency who are VERY understanding and genuinely concerned for my well being. Liking what you do helps (I'm not thrilled completely, but their understanding makes up for it.)

Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!

krisgabes

I went to school and completed a Master's degree and a state license in Social work. I know how you feel though because there were many times I didn't think I'd be able to get through it all the while being sick!

The key to finding a good job is finding people to work for who are understanding to your illness. I was lucky enough to find an agency who are VERY understanding and genuinely concerned for my well being. Liking what you do helps (I'm not thrilled completely, but their understanding makes up for it.)

Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!

krisgabes

<br />
<br />The key to finding a good job is finding people to work for who are understanding to your illness. I was lucky enough to find an agency who are VERY understanding and genuinely concerned for my well being. Liking what you do helps (I'm not thrilled completely, but their understanding makes up for it.)
<br />
<br />Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!

slytherclaw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>krisgabes</b></i>

Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!</end quote></div>

I don't know how much you know about school (I would assume some from your post) but you apparently don't know you can't go to school part time and still receive financial aid. People always throw it out as an option, but most people can't afford to go to school without financial help so it really isn't an option at all.

slytherclaw

Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!</end quote>

I don't know how much you know about school (I would assume some from your post) but you apparently don't know you can't go to school part time and still receive financial aid. People always throw it out as an option, but most people can't afford to go to school without financial help so it really isn't an option at all.

slytherclaw

<br />
<br />Maybe trying for part time work and part time school to start out with may help, like was suggested before. I hope this helped even a little!</end quote>
<br />
<br />I don't know how much you know about school (I would assume some from your post) but you apparently don't know you can't go to school part time and still receive financial aid. People always throw it out as an option, but most people can't afford to go to school without financial help so it really isn't an option at all.

krisgabes

Yes I know quite a bit about going to school going through an undergraduate degree as well as a graduate degree, applying for financial aid the whole time. Everyone's situation is different though. I was merely making a suggestion. I know plenty of people, including someone I work with, who take 2 classes and work so that neither one of the two areas take away from the other. If you're more prone to getting sick then it's best to not burn the candle at both ends, that was my point.

krisgabes

Yes I know quite a bit about going to school going through an undergraduate degree as well as a graduate degree, applying for financial aid the whole time. Everyone's situation is different though. I was merely making a suggestion. I know plenty of people, including someone I work with, who take 2 classes and work so that neither one of the two areas take away from the other. If you're more prone to getting sick then it's best to not burn the candle at both ends, that was my point.

krisgabes

JennifersHope

First of all these are just thoughts, and I am not telling you what to do. I know Julie on here was able to get SSDI for her husband, even though he didn't qualify for one specific thing in the requirements for CF.
You will not get SSDI because you don't have a work history, period, YOu have to work and it takes quite a bit of time to get the income level up to where you can actually live off of it.

SSI is based on your income not on the hours you have worked, it is more of a welfare type thing, either way, what I would suggest is getting a lawyer, you will be denied the first and second time, I am sure. Then you get a court date, and you can present to the judge all the factors in your case, not just your CF but that you have CF plus all the other diseases and that is why you can not work. Usually once a case makes it before a judge, and they can see the evidence they will grant you SSI. Also, if you have CF even with normal functions, you still should be seen in clinic every three months to make sure everything stays good, which will help add to your case because you need six interventions a year to qualify one of the ways.
I believe but am not 100 percent sure that you can apply for SSI which is the welfare one even if you are not approved for disability yet. You have to check with your local welfare office.

As far as working, obviously if you want to go that route, you need to find a job that you won't be standing on your feet all day. Maybe a desk job of some sort.

Kristen has her Masters so she is quite aware of how the financial aide works. I also am and RN and I went to school totally based on scholarships and grants, and financial aide. You can drop to part time for at least three semesters and not lose your financial aide. Also they do offer financial aide for part time students just not as much money.

If you are in college now, look for a program called EOF, which is the Educational Opportunity Fund. They can help you a great deal. It is a federal program so most likely they will have it.

Medical coding requires about eight months of school from what I understand. You can do that from home once you learn the ropes, and you can do it at your own pace. I know a lot of ppl who make great money doing that. That is an option I am going to look into myself since I am so sick right now and I am unable to work, because I am on oxygen and being a nurse, the two don't go so well together.

Good luck, Try some of the options that were presented to you.

JennifersHope

First of all these are just thoughts, and I am not telling you what to do. I know Julie on here was able to get SSDI for her husband, even though he didn't qualify for one specific thing in the requirements for CF.
You will not get SSDI because you don't have a work history, period, YOu have to work and it takes quite a bit of time to get the income level up to where you can actually live off of it.

SSI is based on your income not on the hours you have worked, it is more of a welfare type thing, either way, what I would suggest is getting a lawyer, you will be denied the first and second time, I am sure. Then you get a court date, and you can present to the judge all the factors in your case, not just your CF but that you have CF plus all the other diseases and that is why you can not work. Usually once a case makes it before a judge, and they can see the evidence they will grant you SSI. Also, if you have CF even with normal functions, you still should be seen in clinic every three months to make sure everything stays good, which will help add to your case because you need six interventions a year to qualify one of the ways.
I believe but am not 100 percent sure that you can apply for SSI which is the welfare one even if you are not approved for disability yet. You have to check with your local welfare office.

As far as working, obviously if you want to go that route, you need to find a job that you won't be standing on your feet all day. Maybe a desk job of some sort.

Kristen has her Masters so she is quite aware of how the financial aide works. I also am and RN and I went to school totally based on scholarships and grants, and financial aide. You can drop to part time for at least three semesters and not lose your financial aide. Also they do offer financial aide for part time students just not as much money.

If you are in college now, look for a program called EOF, which is the Educational Opportunity Fund. They can help you a great deal. It is a federal program so most likely they will have it.

Medical coding requires about eight months of school from what I understand. You can do that from home once you learn the ropes, and you can do it at your own pace. I know a lot of ppl who make great money doing that. That is an option I am going to look into myself since I am so sick right now and I am unable to work, because I am on oxygen and being a nurse, the two don't go so well together.

Good luck, Try some of the options that were presented to you.