getting a port.

MMBinNC

I use an AquaGuard to shower when the port is accessed. Obviously if it isnt accessed you don't need anything. As for the surgery itself, I was actually fully sedated because I had a G-Tube placed and my gallbladder removed at the same time. Even though I was on pain meds, none of the pain came from the port site- mostly from the G-Tube- I had talked to others about it and it seems to be the same experience across the board. It is much easier now that I have the port, since I can do a lot more activities than with the PICC and it is not that noticeable (I got the smallest one because I am mad thin). Accessing it is easy, and I like it more than a regular needle for lab draws because it doesn't really hurt (especially after a few accesses)

MMBinNC

I use an AquaGuard to shower when the port is accessed. Obviously if it isnt accessed you don't need anything. As for the surgery itself, I was actually fully sedated because I had a G-Tube placed and my gallbladder removed at the same time. Even though I was on pain meds, none of the pain came from the port site- mostly from the G-Tube- I had talked to others about it and it seems to be the same experience across the board. It is much easier now that I have the port, since I can do a lot more activities than with the PICC and it is not that noticeable (I got the smallest one because I am mad thin). Accessing it is easy, and I like it more than a regular needle for lab draws because it doesn't really hurt (especially after a few accesses)

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

kayers3

I'm on my second port. The first one last 10 years and was in my upper arm on the inside, my newest one is a few inches below my right shoulder on my chest. Definitely a good decision. SO much more convenient than a picc. Both of mine have tended to be movers, so it usually took my nurses a at least two times to hit it until they "learned" the port. I'm currently in the process of learning to access the port in my chest myself...then I won't have to struggle with new nurses and such. The one in my arm was harder to access, but so much easier to shower with. I'd just wrap it up and kinda keep my arm elevated while showering. It was a lot harder to hide while accessed. I wore cardigans all the time. The one in my chest I mostly prefer, except that showering is definitely a pain. I've tried the AquaGuards but they don't work too well for me. I think they'd stick better to a flat surface rather than having to curve around. I take baths while I'm accessed and my shower head is on a long hose so I can wash my hair like you would in a sink. Neither one is really too noticeable. I think the one on my chest sticks out more than the one on my arm did, but I've only ever had a few comments on either. One of my friends knew didn't notice than one in my arm until after a year of knowing me. I think you'll probably be more aware of it than others.
Also, something to consider if you are getting a pediatric port: You'll need a very small needle for accessing, and sometimes that won't always be available. I think the one in my arm used a 1/2" needle and oftentimes the hospital would only have a 3/4" on hand because it was more common. So they'd have to access me using the longer needle which sticks out more and can be a little painful if you bump it versus if you have the right size needle.

kayers3

I'm on my second port. The first one last 10 years and was in my upper arm on the inside, my newest one is a few inches below my right shoulder on my chest. Definitely a good decision. SO much more convenient than a picc. Both of mine have tended to be movers, so it usually took my nurses a at least two times to hit it until they "learned" the port. I'm currently in the process of learning to access the port in my chest myself...then I won't have to struggle with new nurses and such. The one in my arm was harder to access, but so much easier to shower with. I'd just wrap it up and kinda keep my arm elevated while showering. It was a lot harder to hide while accessed. I wore cardigans all the time. The one in my chest I mostly prefer, except that showering is definitely a pain. I've tried the AquaGuards but they don't work too well for me. I think they'd stick better to a flat surface rather than having to curve around. I take baths while I'm accessed and my shower head is on a long hose so I can wash my hair like you would in a sink. Neither one is really too noticeable. I think the one on my chest sticks out more than the one on my arm did, but I've only ever had a few comments on either. One of my friends knew didn't notice than one in my arm until after a year of knowing me. I think you'll probably be more aware of it than others.
Also, something to consider if you are getting a pediatric port: You'll need a very small needle for accessing, and sometimes that won't always be available. I think the one in my arm used a 1/2" needle and oftentimes the hospital would only have a 3/4" on hand because it was more common. So they'd have to access me using the longer needle which sticks out more and can be a little painful if you bump it versus if you have the right size needle.

kayers3

kayers3

kayers3

<br />Also, something to consider if you are getting a pediatric port: You'll need a very small needle for accessing, and sometimes that won't always be available. I think the one in my arm used a 1/2" needle and oftentimes the hospital would only have a 3/4" on hand because it was more common. So they'd have to access me using the longer needle which sticks out more and can be a little painful if you bump it versus if you have the right size needle.

stephsumner

After seeing a question on here about picc lines and ports, I decided to look at my arms and see how many scars I have. I have counted 13 scars between my arms and my chest (not including the tiny scars from the stitches that held the picc lines in place).

I had my port placed in October of 2008 and I'm so glad I did. I look at it as my little good luck charm. Since having it placed I have only needed one round of IV antibiotics, and that was almost a year after placement! Mine is a dual one. I always got super nervous when I'd have picc's placed so they'd give me one of those special (what I lovingly refer to as) cocktails to make me not care. For the port placement I don't know what they gave me, but I was out like a light.

I did have a bit of discomfort and I was pretty sore for at least a few days to a week. I had stitches in two places from the placement. But in my opinion, it was all definately worth it.

I have it accessed once a month to flush it out, of course. I pre-medicate about a half hour before with a cream that my doc prescribed for me (I think it's like novacaine or something) so the whole area is "dead" to the needles. The nurse in the clinic I go to offered some sort of spray, but it didn't work for me. I also opt-ed to try with no premedication... Not cool for me. Not something I will be trying again, by choice, any time soon.

Steph
25 w/CF (diagnosed at birth), MRSA, PA
Feel free to email - grizzsdixierose@hotmail.com

stephsumner

After seeing a question on here about picc lines and ports, I decided to look at my arms and see how many scars I have. I have counted 13 scars between my arms and my chest (not including the tiny scars from the stitches that held the picc lines in place).

I had my port placed in October of 2008 and I'm so glad I did. I look at it as my little good luck charm. Since having it placed I have only needed one round of IV antibiotics, and that was almost a year after placement! Mine is a dual one. I always got super nervous when I'd have picc's placed so they'd give me one of those special (what I lovingly refer to as) cocktails to make me not care. For the port placement I don't know what they gave me, but I was out like a light.

I did have a bit of discomfort and I was pretty sore for at least a few days to a week. I had stitches in two places from the placement. But in my opinion, it was all definately worth it.

I have it accessed once a month to flush it out, of course. I pre-medicate about a half hour before with a cream that my doc prescribed for me (I think it's like novacaine or something) so the whole area is "dead" to the needles. The nurse in the clinic I go to offered some sort of spray, but it didn't work for me. I also opt-ed to try with no premedication... Not cool for me. Not something I will be trying again, by choice, any time soon.

Steph

stephsumner

Steph

stephsumner

Steph

stephsumner

<br />
<br />I had my port placed in October of 2008 and I'm so glad I did. I look at it as my little good luck charm. Since having it placed I have only needed one round of IV antibiotics, and that was almost a year after placement! Mine is a dual one. I always got super nervous when I'd have picc's placed so they'd give me one of those special (what I lovingly refer to as) cocktails to make me not care. For the port placement I don't know what they gave me, but I was out like a light.
<br />
<br />I did have a bit of discomfort and I was pretty sore for at least a few days to a week. I had stitches in two places from the placement. But in my opinion, it was all definately worth it.
<br />
<br />I have it accessed once a month to flush it out, of course. I pre-medicate about a half hour before with a cream that my doc prescribed for me (I think it's like novacaine or something) so the whole area is "dead" to the needles. The nurse in the clinic I go to offered some sort of spray, but it didn't work for me. I also opt-ed to try with no premedication... Not cool for me. Not something I will be trying again, by choice, any time soon.
<br />
<br />Steph
<br />25 w/CF (diagnosed at birth), MRSA, PA
<br />Feel free to email - grizzsdixierose@hotmail.com