Getting back to work

carmick

How long did it take you guys to get back to work, or at least back to living a semi-normal life? My doctor said that I should probably start thinking about making contact with a tx center because if my FEV1 continues to go down at the rate that it's been going for the past year I could be looking at getting evaluated/listed by this fall. Problem is I finish school in July, and I most certainly have not been working my butt off double-mastersing to sit around my parents' house and look at my diplomas. Obviously I'm really hoping to work post-graduation (yay optimism), but if I do have to do the transplant thing right away and then apply for jobs after taking a lot of time off from school and work, when might I be able to do that?

carmick

How long did it take you guys to get back to work, or at least back to living a semi-normal life? My doctor said that I should probably start thinking about making contact with a tx center because if my FEV1 continues to go down at the rate that it's been going for the past year I could be looking at getting evaluated/listed by this fall. Problem is I finish school in July, and I most certainly have not been working my butt off double-mastersing to sit around my parents' house and look at my diplomas. Obviously I'm really hoping to work post-graduation (yay optimism), but if I do have to do the transplant thing right away and then apply for jobs after taking a lot of time off from school and work, when might I be able to do that?

carmick

carmick

carmick

Liza

Hi Caryn,
Everyone's recovery is different but this is what we were told and heard in transplant support. If all goes well post transplant, give yourself at least 6 months before returning to school or work. Concentration (this was proven by Anna and others we met) is difficult post tranpslant thanks to the meds. Anna was able to return to school as a full time student one week short of her 6 month anniversary. At her 3 month appt. her docs asked her what her plans were and she said she'd like to go back to school for the spring semester. They said that it sounded like a good plan, that's what the transplant was for. We knew/know a fellow transplantee that could only return to work on a part time basis at about 6 months. It was too draining for him to take on a 40 hr work week. He did return to work full time later.

Most everyone post transplant in our support group said to take it slow and allow yourself at least 6 months. The time flies by and really isn't that long.

Good luck in your decision.

Liza

Hi Caryn,
Everyone's recovery is different but this is what we were told and heard in transplant support. If all goes well post transplant, give yourself at least 6 months before returning to school or work. Concentration (this was proven by Anna and others we met) is difficult post tranpslant thanks to the meds. Anna was able to return to school as a full time student one week short of her 6 month anniversary. At her 3 month appt. her docs asked her what her plans were and she said she'd like to go back to school for the spring semester. They said that it sounded like a good plan, that's what the transplant was for. We knew/know a fellow transplantee that could only return to work on a part time basis at about 6 months. It was too draining for him to take on a 40 hr work week. He did return to work full time later.

Most everyone post transplant in our support group said to take it slow and allow yourself at least 6 months. The time flies by and really isn't that long.

Liza

Hi Caryn,

Liza

Hi Caryn,

Liza

Hi Caryn,
<br /> Everyone's recovery is different but this is what we were told and heard in transplant support. If all goes well post transplant, give yourself at least 6 months before returning to school or work. Concentration (this was proven by Anna and others we met) is difficult post tranpslant thanks to the meds. Anna was able to return to school as a full time student one week short of her 6 month anniversary. At her 3 month appt. her docs asked her what her plans were and she said she'd like to go back to school for the spring semester. They said that it sounded like a good plan, that's what the transplant was for. We knew/know a fellow transplantee that could only return to work on a part time basis at about 6 months. It was too draining for him to take on a 40 hr work week. He did return to work full time later.
<br />
<br />Most everyone post transplant in our support group said to take it slow and allow yourself at least 6 months. The time flies by and really isn't that long.
<br />
<br />Good luck in your decision.

NYCLawGirl

Hey Caryn,

I'm in the same boat to some extent - graduated law school in May 2007 and ended up being evaluated for tx in 2008. I haven't had to go active on the list yet, but like you there's just been a disturbing infection/FEV1 decline that makes my docs nervous, so I'm sort of on the edge. I have talked to my tx about working before and after tx. He told me that some CFers can work right up until they get the call, although many are only working part time at that point. He also said I could be back to work as early as 3 months, but more likely somewhere between 6 months and a year. His big thing was that it is an individual process, both before and after. Some people remain very high activity even as lung function declines, others must (or should) take more of a break. And recovery is obviously a unique road for everyone.

Basically he said I could work as long as I felt comfortable doing so and then I could go back when I was ready. Maybe not the most concrete of plans, but it seems to be working so far. I'm just now thinking of scaling back hours after a full year and a few months of full time work as an attorney in New York.

NYCLawGirl

Hey Caryn,

I'm in the same boat to some extent - graduated law school in May 2007 and ended up being evaluated for tx in 2008. I haven't had to go active on the list yet, but like you there's just been a disturbing infection/FEV1 decline that makes my docs nervous, so I'm sort of on the edge. I have talked to my tx about working before and after tx. He told me that some CFers can work right up until they get the call, although many are only working part time at that point. He also said I could be back to work as early as 3 months, but more likely somewhere between 6 months and a year. His big thing was that it is an individual process, both before and after. Some people remain very high activity even as lung function declines, others must (or should) take more of a break. And recovery is obviously a unique road for everyone.

Basically he said I could work as long as I felt comfortable doing so and then I could go back when I was ready. Maybe not the most concrete of plans, but it seems to be working so far. I'm just now thinking of scaling back hours after a full year and a few months of full time work as an attorney in New York.

NYCLawGirl

Hey Caryn,

NYCLawGirl

Hey Caryn,

NYCLawGirl

Hey Caryn,
<br />
<br />I'm in the same boat to some extent - graduated law school in May 2007 and ended up being evaluated for tx in 2008. I haven't had to go active on the list yet, but like you there's just been a disturbing infection/FEV1 decline that makes my docs nervous, so I'm sort of on the edge. I have talked to my tx about working before and after tx. He told me that some CFers can work right up until they get the call, although many are only working part time at that point. He also said I could be back to work as early as 3 months, but more likely somewhere between 6 months and a year. His big thing was that it is an individual process, both before and after. Some people remain very high activity even as lung function declines, others must (or should) take more of a break. And recovery is obviously a unique road for everyone.
<br />
<br />Basically he said I could work as long as I felt comfortable doing so and then I could go back when I was ready. Maybe not the most concrete of plans, but it seems to be working so far. I'm just now thinking of scaling back hours after a full year and a few months of full time work as an attorney in New York.

Scars

Once I was put on the tx list I was put on disability, I wanted to concentrate on my surgery and collect disability while waiting. After the surgery I needed to rest, I graduated college right before the tx and was bummed that I had to wait. I actually waited one full year before returning to work, but like I said, I was collecting disability (rightfully so) and needed the recovery time.

Scars

Once I was put on the tx list I was put on disability, I wanted to concentrate on my surgery and collect disability while waiting. After the surgery I needed to rest, I graduated college right before the tx and was bummed that I had to wait. I actually waited one full year before returning to work, but like I said, I was collecting disability (rightfully so) and needed the recovery time.

Scars

Scars

Scars