Getting gtube

M

Mommafirst

It looks like you go in tomorrow!! Good luck! The first few days are not very fun, but it does get better.

Other than normal hospital stuff, there are things you should leave the hospital with. Ask for an AMT clamp, it is a small rubber thing that will hold the tubing tight to the extension and will keep it from pulling apart.

Also, don't count on going home the next day. If Rubie is going to go on night feeds, you want to get a practice night in with the nurses there to make sure it all works well and you won't be able to do that the first night. We stayed an extra day and the nurses thought it was crazy that we were expecting to go home sooner.

Keep up on the pain meds. As with all surgeries, its easier to control the pain if you don't let time lapse between the pain meds, FORCE the nurses to keep on the pain med schedule.

If Rubie has a lot of bowel issues, ask if you can get miralax into her right away. All the morphine and anesthesia caused Alyssa to get very backed up and has us making two ER visits over the following weeks because of obstructions. We were assured it was "just a CF thing".

Bring lots of videos, Alyssa was up for nothing but laying around and watching TV for the first few days.

If you have questions or need more tips after the surgery, feel free to post or PM me!! My daughter is younger than Rubie, but its pretty fresh for us!

M

Mommafirst

It looks like you go in tomorrow!! Good luck! The first few days are not very fun, but it does get better.

Other than normal hospital stuff, there are things you should leave the hospital with. Ask for an AMT clamp, it is a small rubber thing that will hold the tubing tight to the extension and will keep it from pulling apart.

Also, don't count on going home the next day. If Rubie is going to go on night feeds, you want to get a practice night in with the nurses there to make sure it all works well and you won't be able to do that the first night. We stayed an extra day and the nurses thought it was crazy that we were expecting to go home sooner.

Keep up on the pain meds. As with all surgeries, its easier to control the pain if you don't let time lapse between the pain meds, FORCE the nurses to keep on the pain med schedule.

If Rubie has a lot of bowel issues, ask if you can get miralax into her right away. All the morphine and anesthesia caused Alyssa to get very backed up and has us making two ER visits over the following weeks because of obstructions. We were assured it was "just a CF thing".

Bring lots of videos, Alyssa was up for nothing but laying around and watching TV for the first few days.

If you have questions or need more tips after the surgery, feel free to post or PM me!! My daughter is younger than Rubie, but its pretty fresh for us!

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Other than normal hospital stuff, there are things you should leave the hospital with. Ask for an AMT clamp, it is a small rubber thing that will hold the tubing tight to the extension and will keep it from pulling apart.
<br />
<br />Also, don't count on going home the next day. If Rubie is going to go on night feeds, you want to get a practice night in with the nurses there to make sure it all works well and you won't be able to do that the first night. We stayed an extra day and the nurses thought it was crazy that we were expecting to go home sooner.
<br />
<br />Keep up on the pain meds. As with all surgeries, its easier to control the pain if you don't let time lapse between the pain meds, FORCE the nurses to keep on the pain med schedule.
<br />
<br />If Rubie has a lot of bowel issues, ask if you can get miralax into her right away. All the morphine and anesthesia caused Alyssa to get very backed up and has us making two ER visits over the following weeks because of obstructions. We were assured it was "just a CF thing".
<br />
<br />Bring lots of videos, Alyssa was up for nothing but laying around and watching TV for the first few days.
<br />
<br />If you have questions or need more tips after the surgery, feel free to post or PM me!! My daughter is younger than Rubie, but its pretty fresh for us!