getting pregnant by a man w CF

C

cfgf28

I m just wondering if there is anyone that has had a baby naturally w a man w cf. My bf has cf mutations delta f508 and N1303k. We would love to have a baby together, but don't know if it will be possible to do without IVF. I have children from a previous relationship, and am nervous about IVF and the risk of multiples. As I don't know how well we could handle more than just one more child.  He has not had his sperm counts checked yet, I know that is the first place to start, but we'd kinda of like to try and see first... Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can say they did it without help...<div><br></div>

K

Keepercjr

Statistically speaking he has a 98% chance of being sterile. So sure you could try and see but it isn't likely to happen. Yes he does need his sperm count checked. I'm sorry that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth.

Hardak

Something else to consider. You may want to get you self screened for at least the common CF mutations. A CF parent with a CF kid tends to complicate things to no end, which you may not have thought of. May also change the choice some on attempting to have another. But yes odds are good with out IVF, he can't father a child.

C

cfgf28

We are definitely going to have myself screened before we even try to have a child together.... I've actually been looking up alot about IVF, and I think its icsi, or something like that... And found a program in my state that will pay for part of the ivf, as long as you have your own private insurance, and you go to certain approved IVF clinics, basically ones the state picked out that have had good sucess rates...But we will see...Its alot to think about bringing another child into the world. We both work full time, but at this point I don't have insuarance because my employer doesnt offer it... So lots of things to figure out.

wifetocfer

Originally posted by: Keepercjr

Statistically speaking he has a 98% chance of being sterile. So sure you could try and see but it isn't likely to happen. Yes he does need his sperm count checked. I'm sorry that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth.

um cf aren't sterile their vas deferens doesn't develope properly so they produce sperm it just can't get out. the best thing is to get checked and then he will have to see a urologist

K

Keepercjr

Well I know that men with CF produce sperm. I meant sterile in the way that he will not be able to impregnate his partner w/o intervention (with the exception to the men who do have vas deferens)