GI Doc has ordered fecal fat test for stool sample

Buckeye

The doctor looks like he's on the right track now. There are two poo tests - a fecal fat test and an elastase test and they both basically can confirm pancreatic insufficiency. When we did the fecal fat test we collected poo for three days and when we did the elastase test it was just one sample of poo. I think they measure different things in the poo, but are both trying to determine PI. Like Alyssa said if she shows that she is pancreatic sufficient there is still a chance for CF, but if she shows that she is pancreatic insufficient and with the lung problems you have described previously they should definately be thinking of CF as the cause. And then you should have no problem getting the full panel genetic testing done.

Buckeye

The doctor looks like he's on the right track now. There are two poo tests - a fecal fat test and an elastase test and they both basically can confirm pancreatic insufficiency. When we did the fecal fat test we collected poo for three days and when we did the elastase test it was just one sample of poo. I think they measure different things in the poo, but are both trying to determine PI. Like Alyssa said if she shows that she is pancreatic sufficient there is still a chance for CF, but if she shows that she is pancreatic insufficient and with the lung problems you have described previously they should definately be thinking of CF as the cause. And then you should have no problem getting the full panel genetic testing done.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye