Glucose Tolerance Test

Pinky

I've been reading a bit about gestational diabetes and the testing that is done to diagnose and I have some questions for you all.

I've had probably 3 glucose tolerance tests (in the past few years) and failed all of them. After the first time failing the test, my CF Doc had me purchase a blood sugar monitor and test my sugars for a few weeks to see if I required insulin. Luckily, unless I'm drinking that bottle of sugar-water, my glucose levels are just fine.

I was reading that the test to determine if you have gestational diabetes is the glucose tolerance test (which I can't pass). So I'm assuming when the time comes to take it, I will fail and then be considered High Risk (for those that have other experiences, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm hoping that my history with this test will be considered and I will be asked to being regularly monitor my sugars until there is a real issue where insulin might be needed.

Have any of you failed the glucose tolerance test pre-pregnancy, but pass it once pregnant?

Pinky

I've been reading a bit about gestational diabetes and the testing that is done to diagnose and I have some questions for you all.

I've had probably 3 glucose tolerance tests (in the past few years) and failed all of them. After the first time failing the test, my CF Doc had me purchase a blood sugar monitor and test my sugars for a few weeks to see if I required insulin. Luckily, unless I'm drinking that bottle of sugar-water, my glucose levels are just fine.

I was reading that the test to determine if you have gestational diabetes is the glucose tolerance test (which I can't pass). So I'm assuming when the time comes to take it, I will fail and then be considered High Risk (for those that have other experiences, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm hoping that my history with this test will be considered and I will be asked to being regularly monitor my sugars until there is a real issue where insulin might be needed.

Have any of you failed the glucose tolerance test pre-pregnancy, but pass it once pregnant?

Pinky

Pinky

Pinky

<br />
<br />I've had probably 3 glucose tolerance tests (in the past few years) and failed all of them. After the first time failing the test, my CF Doc had me purchase a blood sugar monitor and test my sugars for a few weeks to see if I required insulin. Luckily, unless I'm drinking that bottle of sugar-water, my glucose levels are just fine.
<br />
<br />I was reading that the test to determine if you have gestational diabetes is the glucose tolerance test (which I can't pass). So I'm assuming when the time comes to take it, I will fail and then be considered High Risk (for those that have other experiences, please correct me if I'm wrong).
<br />
<br />I'm hoping that my history with this test will be considered and I will be asked to being regularly monitor my sugars until there is a real issue where insulin might be needed.
<br />
<br />Have any of you failed the glucose tolerance test pre-pregnancy, but pass it once pregnant?

PedsNP2007

Kortney,
I have failed the oral glucose tolerance test. Like you, my sugars are relatively ok unless I drink that liquid. I think it is due to the fact that I never just have pure carbs with my meals. I usually have protein or fat with my meal which helps stabilize sugars. Plus, I've noticed that if I snack the same amount of pure carbs (~70 grams) over a 1 hour period, my sugars won't get as high as when I drink the sugar substance within a 3 minute period. I think my pancreas is slow to respond and it will accommodate slow&steady carb intake instead of a huge lump of carb right away.

I'll be interested in hearing what others (who have gone through pregnancy) say. I am pre-pregnancy at this time and also am worried what this will mean for me once I am pregnant.

Good luck!
Jenn
30 yo cf, pre-pregnancy

PedsNP2007

Kortney,
I have failed the oral glucose tolerance test. Like you, my sugars are relatively ok unless I drink that liquid. I think it is due to the fact that I never just have pure carbs with my meals. I usually have protein or fat with my meal which helps stabilize sugars. Plus, I've noticed that if I snack the same amount of pure carbs (~70 grams) over a 1 hour period, my sugars won't get as high as when I drink the sugar substance within a 3 minute period. I think my pancreas is slow to respond and it will accommodate slow&steady carb intake instead of a huge lump of carb right away.

I'll be interested in hearing what others (who have gone through pregnancy) say. I am pre-pregnancy at this time and also am worried what this will mean for me once I am pregnant.

Good luck!
Jenn
30 yo cf, pre-pregnancy

PedsNP2007

Kortney,

Good luck!
Jenn
30 yo cf, pre-pregnancy

PedsNP2007

Kortney,

Good luck!
Jenn
30 yo cf, pre-pregnancy

PedsNP2007

Kortney,
<br />I have failed the oral glucose tolerance test. Like you, my sugars are relatively ok unless I drink that liquid. I think it is due to the fact that I never just have pure carbs with my meals. I usually have protein or fat with my meal which helps stabilize sugars. Plus, I've noticed that if I snack the same amount of pure carbs (~70 grams) over a 1 hour period, my sugars won't get as high as when I drink the sugar substance within a 3 minute period. I think my pancreas is slow to respond and it will accommodate slow&steady carb intake instead of a huge lump of carb right away.
<br />
<br />I'll be interested in hearing what others (who have gone through pregnancy) say. I am pre-pregnancy at this time and also am worried what this will mean for me once I am pregnant.
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />Jenn
<br />30 yo cf, pre-pregnancy