Got the boot from BABY CF CLINIC DAY

SARAHSARAH253

<P>Hi there,</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Well, we got the boot out of baby clinc last week. Johnny is turning 4 made them move us. So, next clinic will be different. Not because he cultured anything. Kind of freaked out!! I know this sounds like a stupid question. But, do your older kids wear masks the entire time at big kid clinic day??I have always just had him wear his mask in the hall, but let him take it off once in our room. Last week a nurse said "Get that mask on him". I just wanted to know if we have been doing this wrong the entire last 4 years. I feel very dumb for not knowing this. Thanks So Much! </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Now we are using the bathrooms at clinic,  Johnny is completely potty trained. YEAH! But soooo gross in any bathroom!! He loves rubbbing toilet seats. YUCKY!! So we just use common sense and lot's of purrell. I screwed up last clinic and let him use the potty without his mask. Forgot about the cross germ issue at clinic. We all use the same bathroom. AHH Banging my head! </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Sarah </P>
<P>Mommy to Johnny almost 4 w/cf and bailey 1 1/2 no cf</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>

SARAHSARAH253

<P>Hi there,</P>
<P></P>
<P>Well, we got the boot out of baby clinc last week. Johnny is turning 4 made them move us. So, next clinic will bedifferent.Not because he cultured anything. Kind of freaked out!! I know this sounds like a stupid question. But, do your older kids wear masks the entire timeat big kid clinic day??I have always justhad him wear his mask in the hall, but let him take it off once in our room. Last week a nurse said "Get that mask on him". I just wanted to know if we have been doing this wrong the entire last 4 years. I feel very dumb for not knowing this. Thanks So Much! </P>
<P></P>
<P>Now we are using the bathrooms at clinic, Johnny is completely potty trained. YEAH! But soooo gross in any bathroom!! He loves rubbbing toilet seats. YUCKY!! So we just use common sense and lot's of purrell. I screwed up last clinic and let him use the potty without his mask. Forgot about the cross germ issue at clinic. We all use the same bathroom. AHH Banging my head! </P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P></P>
<P>Sarah </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

SARAHSARAH253

<P><BR>Hi there,</P>
<P></P>
<P>Well, we got the boot out of baby clinc last week. Johnny is turning 4 made them move us. So, next clinic will bedifferent.Not because he cultured anything. Kind of freaked out!! I know this sounds like a stupid question. But, do your older kids wear masks the entire timeat big kid clinic day??I have always justhad him wear his mask in the hall, but let him take it off once in our room. Last week a nurse said "Get that mask on him". I just wanted to know if we have been doing this wrong the entire last 4 years. I feel very dumb for not knowing this. Thanks So Much! </P>
<P></P>
<P>Now we are using the bathrooms at clinic, Johnny is completely potty trained. YEAH! But soooo gross in any bathroom!! He loves rubbbing toilet seats. YUCKY!! So we just use common sense and lot's of purrell. I screwed up last clinic and let him use the potty without his mask. Forgot about the cross germ issue at clinic. We all use the same bathroom. AHH Banging my head! </P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P></P>
<P>Sarah </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My daughter does not use the mask in the room. She does wear it anytime we are out of the room...until we get outside.
<br>
<br>I remember a post by someone (can't remember who) had a caution about wearing masks. The masks are really only useful if they remind you to keep your hands away from your face. If you are constantly re-adjusting the mask...you are contaminating it and putting germs closer to your mouth! So I can not imagine having a child in a mask any longer than is absolutely necessary. I would think a little one would constantly be "adjusting" his mask if he were just sitting in the room waiting. <div>
<br></div>

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My daughter does not use the mask in the room. She does wear it anytime we are out of the room...until we get outside.
<br>
<br>I remember a post by someone (can't remember who) had a caution about wearing masks. The masks are really only useful if they remind you to keep your hands away from your face. If you are constantly re-adjusting the mask...you are contaminating it and putting germs closer to your mouth! So I can not imagine having a child in a mask any longer than is absolutely necessary. I would think a little one would constantly be "adjusting" his mask if he were just sitting in the room waiting.
<br>

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
<br>
<br>I remember a post by someone (can't remember who) had a caution about wearing masks. The masks are really only useful if they remind you to keep your hands away from your face. If you are constantly re-adjusting the mask...you are contaminating it and putting germs closer to your mouth! So I can not imagine having a child in a mask any longer than is absolutely necessary. I would think a little one would constantly be "adjusting" his mask if he were just sitting in the room waiting.
<br>

hmw

Where did they remind you to put the mask on him- out in the hall/waiting area or in the actual exam room? To be honest if it was out of the exam room, it was likely more in protection of the babies, since he is older, into more stuff, and more likely to carry bugs than the babies whether or not he's shown them on culture (not to upset you, it's just reality as the kids get older.) Since Emily was so much older at dx I have no idea if they have a baby day at our clinic, I do know they have A/B clinics- Once you are pos for PA, MRSA or anything icky like that, you have to go to B clinic.

Emily does not wear a mask at clinic unless she has any sign of illness. Rather, every single person that comes to HER is gowned, gloved and masked, and she's in that tiny exam room for the entire duration of the appt. There has only been one appt (literally) that we waited even 5min in the waiting room and they do not allow two people with CF to remain together in the waiting room for any amount of time. They are very stringent there about infection control.

Given the excellent control they maintain over never allowing kids with CF near each other, I am generally more concerned over what she may touch than what she might breathe. The elevator buttons are probably way germier than any surface in either the bathroom or anywhere in clinic when you really think about it. I try to have her use the bathroom out in the main hallway right before clinic- they keep it very clean and it's all 'touchless' for soap, water and paper towels- and at least if it's germy, fixtures there are not as likely to have been sneezed on by kids with CF. There's also a huge Purell dispenser to use at clinic as you leave the waiting room and another as you exit PFT lab.

hmw

Where did they remind you to put the mask on him- out in the hall/waiting area or in the actual exam room? To be honest if it was out of the exam room, it was likely more in protection of the babies, since he is older, into more stuff, and more likely to carry bugs than the babies whether or not he's shown them on culture (not to upset you, it's just reality as the kids get older.) Since Emily was so much older at dx I have no idea if they have a baby day at our clinic, I do know they have A/B clinics- Once you are pos for PA, MRSA or anything icky like that, you have to go to B clinic.

Emily does not wear a mask at clinic unless she has any sign of illness. Rather, every single person that comes to HER is gowned, gloved and masked, and she's in that tiny exam room for the entire duration of the appt. There has only been one appt (literally) that we waited even 5min in the waiting room and they do not allow two people with CF to remain together in the waiting room for any amount of time. They are very stringent there about infection control.

Given the excellent control they maintain over never allowing kids with CF near each other, I am generally more concerned over what she may touch than what she might breathe. The elevator buttons are probably way germier than any surface in either the bathroom or anywhere in clinic when you really think about it. I try to have her use the bathroom out in the main hallway right before clinic- they keep it very clean and it's all 'touchless' for soap, water and paper towels- and at least if it's germy, fixtures there are not as likely to have been sneezed on by kids with CF. There's also a huge Purell dispenser to use at clinic as you leave the waiting room and another as you exit PFT lab.

hmw

<br />
<br />Emily does not wear a mask at clinic unless she has any sign of illness. Rather, every single person that comes to HER is gowned, gloved and masked, and she's in that tiny exam room for the entire duration of the appt. There has only been one appt (literally) that we waited even 5min in the waiting room and they do not allow two people with CF to remain together in the waiting room for any amount of time. They are very stringent there about infection control.
<br />
<br />Given the excellent control they maintain over never allowing kids with CF near each other, I am generally more concerned over what she may touch than what she might breathe. The elevator buttons are probably way germier than any surface in either the bathroom or anywhere in clinic when you really think about it. I try to have her use the bathroom out in the main hallway right before clinic- they keep it very clean and it's all 'touchless' for soap, water and paper towels- and at least if it's germy, fixtures there are not as likely to have been sneezed on by kids with CF. There's also a huge Purell dispenser to use at clinic as you leave the waiting room and another as you exit PFT lab.

mag6125

In our peds and adult clinics we only wear the masks outside the exam rooms, in our bathrooms they have antibacterial wipes/spray and ask that all cf patients clean any surfaces they touch when they're done. Faucets, handles, toilet seat, etc. For us the docs only gown/mask up if the patient in the room is positive for mrsa, same as isolation procedures will staying in the hospital.

mag6125

In our peds and adult clinics we only wear the masks outside the exam rooms, in our bathrooms they have antibacterial wipes/spray and ask that all cf patients clean any surfaces they touch when they're done. Faucets, handles, toilet seat, etc. For us the docs only gown/mask up if the patient in the room is positive for mrsa, same as isolation procedures will staying in the hospital.

mag6125

hmw

Wow, given the uncertainty of the accuracy of sputum cultures at times, I am amazed that drs are that lax in gowning and gloving...!

When Emily was inpatient, everyone that entered her room- from the people who cleaned her room to nurses to rt's to doctors- gowned and gloved. She had to wear a mask to leave the room and if she ever cultured mrsa she would not be allowed to leave at all unless medically necessary.

hmw

Wow, given the uncertainty of the accuracy of sputum cultures at times, I am amazed that drs are that lax in gowning and gloving...!

When Emily was inpatient, everyone that entered her room- from the people who cleaned her room to nurses to rt's to doctors- gowned and gloved. She had to wear a mask to leave the room and if she ever cultured mrsa she would not be allowed to leave at all unless medically necessary.

hmw

<br />
<br />When Emily was inpatient, everyone that entered her room- from the people who cleaned her room to nurses to rt's to doctors- gowned and gloved. She had to wear a mask to leave the room and if she ever cultured mrsa she would not be allowed to leave at all unless medically necessary.

S

SarahProcter

OK, should I be paranoid now?

At our CF clinic, my daughter never wears a mask unless she's sick with a cough (which is very unusual for her, she has no baseline cough and does not frequently get respiratory infections). We wait in a shared waiting room with everyone else not wearing masks (this waiting area is for all pediatric specialties patients, not just for CF clinic visitors - I have no idea whether anyone else in the room has CF. We keep to ourselves as best we can). Once admitted, we stay in one room the whole time and all the providers come to us, but they don't come to us masked. They sanitize hands on entering the room and wash hands with water and soap before touching my daughter, but no one in the room is masked.

Is this because my kid is so young? Will the rules change when we graduate out of baby CF status? Do the procedures described above seem dangerously lax?

This is at UCSF, which I believe to be a reputable facility. Should I worry?

Not like I could keep a mask on her anyway - it's hopeless at her age.

S

SarahProcter

At our CF clinic, my daughter never wears a mask unless she's sick with a cough (which is very unusual for her, she has no baseline cough and does not frequently get respiratory infections). We wait in a shared waiting room with everyone else not wearing masks (this waiting area is for all pediatric specialties patients, not just for CF clinic visitors - I have no idea whether anyone else in the room has CF. We keep to ourselves as best we can). Once admitted, we stay in one room the whole time and all the providers come to us, but they don't come to us masked. They sanitize hands on entering the room and wash hands with water and soap before touching my daughter, but no one in the room is masked.

Is this because my kid is so young? Will the rules change when we graduate out of baby CF status? Do the procedures described above seem dangerously lax?

This is at UCSF, which I believe to be a reputable facility. Should I worry?

Not like I could keep a mask on her anyway - it's hopeless at her age.

S

SarahProcter

<br />
<br />At our CF clinic, my daughter never wears a mask unless she's sick with a cough (which is very unusual for her, she has no baseline cough and does not frequently get respiratory infections). We wait in a shared waiting room with everyone else not wearing masks (this waiting area is for all pediatric specialties patients, not just for CF clinic visitors - I have no idea whether anyone else in the room has CF. We keep to ourselves as best we can). Once admitted, we stay in one room the whole time and all the providers come to us, but they don't come to us masked. They sanitize hands on entering the room and wash hands with water and soap before touching my daughter, but no one in the room is masked.
<br />
<br />Is this because my kid is so young? Will the rules change when we graduate out of baby CF status? Do the procedures described above seem dangerously lax?
<br />
<br />This is at UCSF, which I believe to be a reputable facility. Should I worry?
<br />
<br />Not like I could keep a mask on her anyway - it's hopeless at her age.

imported_Momto2

At the adult CF clinic I attend, you are masked the entire time, unless you are in the patient room. Everyone who enters is gowned/gloved, etc. If they DIDNT take these precautions, I would not go the the CF clinic. I never did until I was in my mid-30's because I thought they were too lax in cross-contamination prevention, then they changed the rules. Frankly, if my child had CF, I would not take them anywhere in the vicinity of another kid with CF unless all parties were masked and constantly resanitizing hands. Its just too risky.

imported_Momto2

At the adult CF clinic I attend, you are masked the entire time, unless you are in the patient room. Everyone who enters is gowned/gloved, etc. If they DIDNT take these precautions, I would not go the the CF clinic. I never did until I was in my mid-30's because I thought they were too lax in cross-contamination prevention, then they changed the rules. Frankly, if my child had CF, I would not take them anywhere in the vicinity of another kid with CF unless all parties were masked and constantly resanitizing hands. Its just too risky.