Grad School and CF

cdale613

It definitely depends on the school. Many schools have terrible student options for insurance, particularly those that do not have a medical school as part of their institution. You can look at the plan guidelines before you apply.

It also varies from insurer to insurer about the full time student/age thing. My parents insurance would cover me as a full time student, but only to age 25. As a result, I did my Masters right after undergrad.

As far as affordability, I would look into State schools. I went to a state school for undergrad, the George Washington Univ. for grad school, and am going to a state school for law school this fall. There is often no comparison in price, and there are many quality state programs out there.

Personally, I could not be going back for my JD if I wasn't married. Between my wife's income, and our savings, I will be able to limit my student loans to only taking Staffords, which isn't horrible. Otherwise, I would have to take loans for living expenses, which would have been awful. I will also be fine for health insurance, because I will be my wife's dependent on her work plan. Not saying you should jump into a marriage.... just saying it has its benefits :)

If possible, I would recommend going full time... its tough when a program that should take two years full time gets stretched to 4 or even 5 years (or longer). I also think you get a better educational experience as a full time student, but that's just my opinion.

Chris

28 w/cf

cdale613

It definitely depends on the school. Many schools have terrible student options for insurance, particularly those that do not have a medical school as part of their institution. You can look at the plan guidelines before you apply.

It also varies from insurer to insurer about the full time student/age thing. My parents insurance would cover me as a full time student, but only to age 25. As a result, I did my Masters right after undergrad.

As far as affordability, I would look into State schools. I went to a state school for undergrad, the George Washington Univ. for grad school, and am going to a state school for law school this fall. There is often no comparison in price, and there are many quality state programs out there.

Personally, I could not be going back for my JD if I wasn't married. Between my wife's income, and our savings, I will be able to limit my student loans to only taking Staffords, which isn't horrible. Otherwise, I would have to take loans for living expenses, which would have been awful. I will also be fine for health insurance, because I will be my wife's dependent on her work plan. Not saying you should jump into a marriage.... just saying it has its benefits :)

If possible, I would recommend going full time... its tough when a program that should take two years full time gets stretched to 4 or even 5 years (or longer). I also think you get a better educational experience as a full time student, but that's just my opinion.

Chris

28 w/cf

cdale613

Chris

28 w/cf

cdale613

Chris

28 w/cf

cdale613

<br />
<br />It also varies from insurer to insurer about the full time student/age thing. My parents insurance would cover me as a full time student, but only to age 25. As a result, I did my Masters right after undergrad.
<br />
<br />As far as affordability, I would look into State schools. I went to a state school for undergrad, the George Washington Univ. for grad school, and am going to a state school for law school this fall. There is often no comparison in price, and there are many quality state programs out there.
<br />
<br />Personally, I could not be going back for my JD if I wasn't married. Between my wife's income, and our savings, I will be able to limit my student loans to only taking Staffords, which isn't horrible. Otherwise, I would have to take loans for living expenses, which would have been awful. I will also be fine for health insurance, because I will be my wife's dependent on her work plan. Not saying you should jump into a marriage.... just saying it has its benefits :)
<br />
<br />If possible, I would recommend going full time... its tough when a program that should take two years full time gets stretched to 4 or even 5 years (or longer). I also think you get a better educational experience as a full time student, but that's just my opinion.
<br />
<br />
<br />Chris
<br />
<br />28 w/cf
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

wanderlost

I am in grad school now. I only go part time (really part time - one class a semester - but only 4 classes left to go! woot!). I am married and I am on my husband's insurance, I also have a state supplemental insurance as well - I don't know if your state offers anything like that. As far as paying, I pay cash for each class I take. They are roughly $1,000 (after books) a semester. It can be very very hard to come up with that money twice a year, but we use tax and Christmas money and my mom has given some of it as well. I really don't want to finish grad school owing anything, so this is how we have chosen to do it.

wanderlost

I am in grad school now. I only go part time (really part time - one class a semester - but only 4 classes left to go! woot!). I am married and I am on my husband's insurance, I also have a state supplemental insurance as well - I don't know if your state offers anything like that. As far as paying, I pay cash for each class I take. They are roughly $1,000 (after books) a semester. It can be very very hard to come up with that money twice a year, but we use tax and Christmas money and my mom has given some of it as well. I really don't want to finish grad school owing anything, so this is how we have chosen to do it.

wanderlost

wanderlost

wanderlost

NYCLawGirl

I went to grad school full time like Amy, and I also chose to go to Columbia, which is associated with a hospital and CF center. I opted to get the best insurance program my school offered and it was fairly decent. It did have a max prescription coverage, though, which of course as a CFer I blew by in about 6 months, but luckily NY has some extra assistance programs for adults w/ CF. Good luck in pursuing your masters! It was definitely one of the best decisions I've made to get my grad degree.

NYCLawGirl

I went to grad school full time like Amy, and I also chose to go to Columbia, which is associated with a hospital and CF center. I opted to get the best insurance program my school offered and it was fairly decent. It did have a max prescription coverage, though, which of course as a CFer I blew by in about 6 months, but luckily NY has some extra assistance programs for adults w/ CF. Good luck in pursuing your masters! It was definitely one of the best decisions I've made to get my grad degree.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl