Great Strides Walk

AbbysMama

I've been struggling with this issue as well. I'm not sure if our Abby will stay in the stroller or not for the walk. I'm interested to hear what else folks have to say!

Emily

AbbysMama

I've been struggling with this issue as well. I'm not sure if our Abby will stay in the stroller or not for the walk. I'm interested to hear what else folks have to say!

Emily

AbbysMama

Emily

AbbysMama

Emily

AbbysMama

<br />
<br />Emily

Emily65Roses

I went to all that stuff all the time when I was a kid. Mind you, that was before the CFF set the new LAW about CFers staying... what is it... 50 feet apart? Hah.

Anyways. Law or not, I still go. As long as I don't have cepacia, I'll go. And if I ever get cepacia, I will only <i>not</i> go to spare fellow CFers. I have taken trips to see CF friends in the past few years.

Some people are going to be a lot stricter about this than me. And that's fine. But I say when it comes to a CF <b>event</b>, take her. It's not going to kill her. And the more she sees "people like her", the better off she'll be. I loved having CF friends when I was a kid. It was awesome to have kids who knew all about the same weird crap I was dealing with.

It sucks being one of the only diseases where the rule technically is "no support groups, you're not allowed near each other." Almost every other frickin disease has support groups. And we're left with the internet. Which is fantastic, yes, but there's a big difference between this and seeing people in person. The CFF has to set their LAW to cover their ass. If they don't say "stay apart always" then people could sue their pants off when CF kids share bacteria. Yes, it happens. You know what else? Your bathroom is FILLED with some of the same bacteria that you're afraid of your kid getting from another CFer. As long as you use your head (i.e. don't share meds, don't share food, don't let her lick another CFer's face or anything ridiculous like that, etc.), there's no reason not to take her. Even if my parents knew that CFers spread bacteria back when I was a kid, they still would've taken me. And I'd have been grateful. I know it's a hard decision to make. But the benefits of seeing other kids with CF outweigh the risk, in my opinion. If pseudomonas was nowhere to be found, maybe I'd change my mind. But that's going to be the most common stuff you come across with other CFers, and that garbage lives EVERYWHERE. So basically, to me, it's not worth missing interaction with CFers when I'm exposed to that crap all the time anyway.

Emily65Roses

I went to all that stuff all the time when I was a kid. Mind you, that was before the CFF set the new LAW about CFers staying... what is it... 50 feet apart? Hah.

Anyways. Law or not, I still go. As long as I don't have cepacia, I'll go. And if I ever get cepacia, I will only <i>not</i> go to spare fellow CFers. I have taken trips to see CF friends in the past few years.

Some people are going to be a lot stricter about this than me. And that's fine. But I say when it comes to a CF <b>event</b>, take her. It's not going to kill her. And the more she sees "people like her", the better off she'll be. I loved having CF friends when I was a kid. It was awesome to have kids who knew all about the same weird crap I was dealing with.

It sucks being one of the only diseases where the rule technically is "no support groups, you're not allowed near each other." Almost every other frickin disease has support groups. And we're left with the internet. Which is fantastic, yes, but there's a big difference between this and seeing people in person. The CFF has to set their LAW to cover their ass. If they don't say "stay apart always" then people could sue their pants off when CF kids share bacteria. Yes, it happens. You know what else? Your bathroom is FILLED with some of the same bacteria that you're afraid of your kid getting from another CFer. As long as you use your head (i.e. don't share meds, don't share food, don't let her lick another CFer's face or anything ridiculous like that, etc.), there's no reason not to take her. Even if my parents knew that CFers spread bacteria back when I was a kid, they still would've taken me. And I'd have been grateful. I know it's a hard decision to make. But the benefits of seeing other kids with CF outweigh the risk, in my opinion. If pseudomonas was nowhere to be found, maybe I'd change my mind. But that's going to be the most common stuff you come across with other CFers, and that garbage lives EVERYWHERE. So basically, to me, it's not worth missing interaction with CFers when I'm exposed to that crap all the time anyway.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

<br />
<br />Anyways. Law or not, I still go. As long as I don't have cepacia, I'll go. And if I ever get cepacia, I will only <i>not</i> go to spare fellow CFers. I have taken trips to see CF friends in the past few years.
<br />
<br />Some people are going to be a lot stricter about this than me. And that's fine. But I say when it comes to a CF <b>event</b>, take her. It's not going to kill her. And the more she sees "people like her", the better off she'll be. I loved having CF friends when I was a kid. It was awesome to have kids who knew all about the same weird crap I was dealing with.
<br />
<br />It sucks being one of the only diseases where the rule technically is "no support groups, you're not allowed near each other." Almost every other frickin disease has support groups. And we're left with the internet. Which is fantastic, yes, but there's a big difference between this and seeing people in person. The CFF has to set their LAW to cover their ass. If they don't say "stay apart always" then people could sue their pants off when CF kids share bacteria. Yes, it happens. You know what else? Your bathroom is FILLED with some of the same bacteria that you're afraid of your kid getting from another CFer. As long as you use your head (i.e. don't share meds, don't share food, don't let her lick another CFer's face or anything ridiculous like that, etc.), there's no reason not to take her. Even if my parents knew that CFers spread bacteria back when I was a kid, they still would've taken me. And I'd have been grateful. I know it's a hard decision to make. But the benefits of seeing other kids with CF outweigh the risk, in my opinion. If pseudomonas was nowhere to be found, maybe I'd change my mind. But that's going to be the most common stuff you come across with other CFers, and that garbage lives EVERYWHERE. So basically, to me, it's not worth missing interaction with CFers when I'm exposed to that crap all the time anyway.

thefrogprincess

This will be my 6th or 7th year doing Great Strides!! I have never caught anything at one. I wouldn't participate if I was feeling sick in the slightest because I wouldn't want someone catching a bug from me. I would hope that most people would use the same amount of common sense. There is always a disclaimer that says if you are culturing something real bad like b. cepacia to not come to the walk.

thefrogprincess

This will be my 6th or 7th year doing Great Strides!! I have never caught anything at one. I wouldn't participate if I was feeling sick in the slightest because I wouldn't want someone catching a bug from me. I would hope that most people would use the same amount of common sense. There is always a disclaimer that says if you are culturing something real bad like b. cepacia to not come to the walk.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We go every year (this will be #17). Our kids walk with our family and their friends. We either have a fmaily cookout after or go to a restaurant. We don't linger at the walk site or eat with the other walkers.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We go every year (this will be #17). Our kids walk with our family and their friends. We either have a fmaily cookout after or go to a restaurant. We don't linger at the walk site or eat with the other walkers.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader