growth hormone vs. tube feedings?

thefrogprincess

Usually kids with CF don't present hormone problems, at least that I know of. The problem is malnourishment. Without prpper nutrition a kid just can't grow. Obviously consult with your doctors but a feeding tube might be a good route if he can't gain on his own. My brother (who also has CF) turned into the pickiest eater I have ever seen when we were kids. Finally when he was in the 5th grade my parents took him in and had a gastrostomy placed because he was far below where he should of been for height and weight. With the g-tube it was like magic. He packed on weight and grew like never before. He was literally starving to death because he wouldn't eat. It took a lot of stress off of my parents too and dinner time at our house was a lot more tolerable without the constant fighting to get him to eat something. Good luck.

thefrogprincess

Usually kids with CF don't present hormone problems, at least that I know of. The problem is malnourishment. Without prpper nutrition a kid just can't grow. Obviously consult with your doctors but a feeding tube might be a good route if he can't gain on his own. My brother (who also has CF) turned into the pickiest eater I have ever seen when we were kids. Finally when he was in the 5th grade my parents took him in and had a gastrostomy placed because he was far below where he should of been for height and weight. With the g-tube it was like magic. He packed on weight and grew like never before. He was literally starving to death because he wouldn't eat. It took a lot of stress off of my parents too and dinner time at our house was a lot more tolerable without the constant fighting to get him to eat something. Good luck.

thefrogprincess