Growth Pattern

hhildema

Will be pursuing CF testing for my 3-year-old daughter this month. I feel ridiculous bringing it up w/ her ped in some ways because the girl is BIG for her age (38 lbs and almost 38 inches!).

What have been your experiences w/ growth patterns?My research thus far seems to have turned up seemingly contradictory info - some say growth is significantly impacted (poor) from birth, others say the growth deficits don't manifest until puberty. Any clarification, insight, etc. would be much appreciated!

hhildema

Will be pursuing CF testing for my 3-year-old daughter this month. I feel ridiculous bringing it up w/ her ped in some ways because the girl is BIG for her age (38 lbs and almost 38 inches!).

What have been your experiences w/ growth patterns?My research thus far seems to have turned up seemingly contradictory info - some say growth is significantly impacted (poor) from birth, others say the growth deficits don't manifest until puberty. Any clarification, insight, etc. would be much appreciated!

hhildema

Mockingbird

Having CF does not necessarily mean showing all the symptoms. It is possible for your daughter to have CF and not be pancreatic insufficient (which is what affects our growth). What I mean is, CF affects us all differently. What led you to bring her to be tested in the first place?

Mockingbird

Having CF does not necessarily mean showing all the symptoms. It is possible for your daughter to have CF and not be pancreatic insufficient (which is what affects our growth). What I mean is, CF affects us all differently. What led you to bring her to be tested in the first place?

Mockingbird

KrazyKat

Mockingbird is correct regarding the fact that some CFers have no pancreatic involvement at all, hence no weight problems, genetic testing will be needed to properly determine that for you.
As for those of us that DO have pancreatic insufficiency, some of us had 'failure to thrive' as infants, I know I did, I also had a late start to puberty, I was 15 when i got my first period, probably due to insufficient growth/weight.

Every CFer is different, so it's extremely hard to tell. I wouldn't let the fact that she is of normal weight now though, put you off pushing for further investigations.

Good luck
Kat

KrazyKat

Mockingbird is correct regarding the fact that some CFers have no pancreatic involvement at all, hence no weight problems, genetic testing will be needed to properly determine that for you.
As for those of us that DO have pancreatic insufficiency, some of us had 'failure to thrive' as infants, I know I did, I also had a late start to puberty, I was 15 when i got my first period, probably due to insufficient growth/weight.

Every CFer is different, so it's extremely hard to tell. I wouldn't let the fact that she is of normal weight now though, put you off pushing for further investigations.

Good luck
Kat

KrazyKat

Good luck
Kat

hhildema

Am testing d/t family history (my brother passed away at age 7), her chronic respiratory infections, mucousy and foul-smelling stools, salty skin. I'm hoping there's something "nicer" out there that would cause the same symptoms. Thanks for your replies!

hhildema

Am testing d/t family history (my brother passed away at age 7), her chronic respiratory infections, mucousy and foul-smelling stools, salty skin. I'm hoping there's something "nicer" out there that would cause the same symptoms. Thanks for your replies!

hhildema