Haemoptysis

Jellybaby

Hey,
so some of you have probably seen a previous post by me about this and its really starting to worry me :(
so basically I randomly cough up blood just blood and its not sputum its almost like the blood you would get if you cut your finger.
Doctors havnt paid much attention to it and just say to keep an eye on it...does this mean it isn't so serious?
Iv only ever had IV antibiotics once so have been good from that side of things.
How many of you actually experience this and does it mean my lungs are getting worse :( ?
Please help!

nmw0615

I've had two vastly different experiences with coughing up blood. The first set of experiences lasted 4 years. Every three months, I would cough up a large amount of blood soaked mucus, anywhere from a half a cup to a cup. Once I coughed up even more than that over a 24 hour period.

The second set of experiences sounds more like what you're having now. I'll randomly cough up a teaspoon to a tablespoon of just blood. Unfortunately, because of my first experiences, I have panic attacks anytime I taste blood, but I've learned that one if these episodes, as long as it is isolated and stops immediately, isn't too serious. Keep letting your doctors know. I was always told to stop all treatments, vest and inhaled meds (except antibiotics) for 24 hours. Then start up pulmo if you take it. 48 hours after coughing up blood, if there hasn't been any more, start doing airway clearance again.

Hope this helps.

W

welshwitch

Vitamin K is the magic solution for me. Are you taking it? It helps us with blood clotting. It's extremely important to keep up the Vitamin K intake. And be sure they are the CF approved vitamins (better absorbency).

Jellybaby

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for advice :)
I am on vit k called menadiol and also Aqua Adek. In June my vit k was ok and I'm also getting it checked again soon so results of that will be good to know. Thanks for advice hope this stops soon! :(

lumi

I have an episode of coughing up about a teaspoon of blood on average once a month. Sometimes more often, sometimes less often. My CF doctor has said he's not too concerned unless it starts to happen more regularly as in, more than once per week. My lungs are generally not too bad. It's very scary though, which I don't think most doctors understand.