Hair/Skin/Nails?

Hello! So, I have been having quite a bit of hair/skin/nails problems lately and was just wondering if any one else on here has experienced similar issues, or if it's even CF-related at all. I'm 19 and have cystic fibrosis, and have always had rather sensitive skin. I can't really use anything on my face that isn't all natural, and scented soaps and lotions irritate my skin badly. I've had keratosis pilaris on my arms for years, and what some doctors have dubbed as "nail psoriasis" (my finger nails go through cycles where they get all these little spots/divots in them - the best way I can explain it is that they look like the surface of a thimble). The skin around my eyelids and hair line used to peel and scab over back when my vitamin levels were super low, but they've been stable for a while now, and yet I'm having similar problems again. I wouldn't classify what's happening on my scalp as dandruff, exactly - it's more just... red and itchy? I get these spots that scab over sometimes, and the other day I was scratching a particularly irritating spot and it started to bleed. The backs of my hands and wrists are dry and cracked, and lotion just irritates it more.

Aside from the weird skin, my hair has also seemed extremely...greasy, lately? I know that my skin has always gotten oily easily, and that it probably has something to do with the excess sweating/salt. But this is usually more of a problem for me in the summer, and I can't understand why it's so bad right now. If I go even a day without showering, my hair gets so oily it looks wet and I start breaking out almost immediately. But lately it has reached a point where I feel like my hair is almost always like that. My hair used to be really thick and curly and fluffy to the point where it annoyed the hell out of me, but now I kind of miss it? Weird.

TO BE A BIT MORE CONCISE, does any one else have really dry skin or oily hair, or have any advice on how to maybe fix it? Sorry for the long explanation.

bigstar

Hmm I dont know if everything is CF related. I have to say im dealing with acne since early puberty (im 23 now). And my skin seems to be oily all the time. I also have very greasy hair as well. I HAVE to wash my hair every two days and im really trying not to do it more often because it makes things worse. Aquadeks seem to give me very strong hair and nails. I think you should try them!

baco623

My hair is is also very oily. I have to wash it every two or three days because it gets so stringy and dull. I know that often the antibiotics CFers are on can have a major effect on the skin, especially if you are exposed to alot of sunlight. Make sure to wear lots of sun screen with a high SPF. When it comes to your nails that has do with a major lack of absorbing vitamins. I'm on extra Vitamin D for both my bones and my nails. Check with your CF nutritionist and see if they can put you on extra Vitamin D, that seemed to help me alot. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

Thanks, guys! I have been on and off extra vitamin D in the past, so maybe I'm in need of that again. And I'm also on Levaquin right now, so maybe it's a combination of the two?