Has anyone ever taken Amphotericin B?

mom2brooke

We are now on day 3 of the infusions. She has had a few side effects so far form the med. She has had the sweating, her blood pressure has dropped some during the treatment (lowest was 89/49) and she is very fatigued. She hasn't wanted to get out of bed the last 2 days. The infectious disease doctors are supposed to be in tomorrow to let us know exactly how long she will be on the Amphotericin B. I am not very confident in the ID doctors. They are the ones who said that it was plain candida yeast growing in her lungs and not Trichosporon so they signed off on her case. Her pulmonary doctor was livid and went around them and started her on the meds. It was an huge amount of "yeast" growing in her lungs, but as of Sunday the lab couldn't say one way or the other. Definitive results came back today. It is Trichosporon growing. They did a bronch on her last week. Amazingly although she is growing the MRSA and Psuedomonas she had no puss in her bronchial tubes. The doctor said they looked very A-Typical for CF lungs. If we can just get rid of the Trichosporon then maybe we will stay out of the hospital for a while. (THis is her 5th hospitalization in a year. She would be in for 2 weeks, PFTs increase some, then within weeks, be sick again. Didn't respond to oral antibiotics, etc. Doctors decided it was time to treat the fungus even though she wasn't showing an allergic reaction.) I know I am probably all over the place, just tired and frustrated we have to deal with ID doctors again.

mom2brooke

We are now on day 3 of the infusions. She has had a few side effects so far form the med. She has had the sweating, her blood pressure has dropped some during the treatment (lowest was 89/49) and she is very fatigued. She hasn't wanted to get out of bed the last 2 days. The infectious disease doctors are supposed to be in tomorrow to let us know exactly how long she will be on the Amphotericin B. I am not very confident in the ID doctors. They are the ones who said that it was plain candida yeast growing in her lungs and not Trichosporon so they signed off on her case. Her pulmonary doctor was livid and went around them and started her on the meds. It was an huge amount of "yeast" growing in her lungs, but as of Sunday the lab couldn't say one way or the other. Definitive results came back today. It is Trichosporon growing. They did a bronch on her last week. Amazingly although she is growing the MRSA and Psuedomonas she had no puss in her bronchial tubes. The doctor said they looked very A-Typical for CF lungs. If we can just get rid of the Trichosporon then maybe we will stay out of the hospital for a while. (THis is her 5th hospitalization in a year. She would be in for 2 weeks, PFTs increase some, then within weeks, be sick again. Didn't respond to oral antibiotics, etc. Doctors decided it was time to treat the fungus even though she wasn't showing an allergic reaction.) I know I am probably all over the place, just tired and frustrated we have to deal with ID doctors again.

mom2brooke

mom2brooke

mom2brooke

Ready2Dance

That sounds a lot like my story. I grew all kinds of yeasts in my old lungs! I never showed any allergies, but they decided it was time to treat. I did IV caspofungin for 14 months and it cleared most of it. Just make sure the doctors treat her long term for the yeast... it takes a LONG time to get rid of it, but they may be able to control it with orals or inhaled drugs. Good luck!!

Ready2Dance

That sounds a lot like my story. I grew all kinds of yeasts in my old lungs! I never showed any allergies, but they decided it was time to treat. I did IV caspofungin for 14 months and it cleared most of it. Just make sure the doctors treat her long term for the yeast... it takes a LONG time to get rid of it, but they may be able to control it with orals or inhaled drugs. Good luck!!

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

adamsants

I wanted to let you know that Adam was on Ampho B last year for a month due to a fungal infection as well. He did not have any side effects and the iv's really cleared him up. He was then switched to vfend and will be on it a year already at the beginning of December.

pm me if you have any questions....

Ann

adamsants

I wanted to let you know that Adam was on Ampho B last year for a month due to a fungal infection as well. He did not have any side effects and the iv's really cleared him up. He was then switched to vfend and will be on it a year already at the beginning of December.

Ann

adamsants

Ann

adamsants

Ann

adamsants

<br />
<br />
<br />pm me if you have any questions....
<br />
<br />Ann