has this ever happened to anyone?

rubiesmom

My 6 yo daughter has recently been diagnosed with cf. Her father just got a blood test done to see if he's a carrier and it came back negative, he's going to get another one done to be sure. I will be getting tested in a couple weeks. My question is, can someone get cf when only one parent is a carrier? Has this ever happened to anyone before. I would appreciate any information anyone could give me. Thank you so much

rubiesmom

My 6 yo daughter has recently been diagnosed with cf. Her father just got a blood test done to see if he's a carrier and it came back negative, he's going to get another one done to be sure. I will be getting tested in a couple weeks. My question is, can someone get cf when only one parent is a carrier? Has this ever happened to anyone before. I would appreciate any information anyone could give me. Thank you so much

rubiesmom

Fruity

Hello. I would post this in the Adults section, you will get more replies. It is not possible to get CF if only one parent is a carrier -- Your daughter would have gotten one of the identified genes from you and the other identified gene from her father. He may not have gotten the full panel to test for all of the genes, hense it coming back negative. There are over 1500 mutations, and your daughter obviously has two of the identified ones on that list, but it may be one that does not show up on the "screening" test, which again, may be what might have been done instead of the full panel.

Best wishes, and I'm glad you have found our little corner of the web. Hang in there.

Ceci

Fruity

Hello. I would post this in the Adults section, you will get more replies. It is not possible to get CF if only one parent is a carrier -- Your daughter would have gotten one of the identified genes from you and the other identified gene from her father. He may not have gotten the full panel to test for all of the genes, hense it coming back negative. There are over 1500 mutations, and your daughter obviously has two of the identified ones on that list, but it may be one that does not show up on the "screening" test, which again, may be what might have been done instead of the full panel.

Best wishes, and I'm glad you have found our little corner of the web. Hang in there.

Ceci

Fruity

Ceci

NoExcuses

What are your daughter's genes? Do you know which gene you carry that you passed on to the child?

There are 3 possible scenarios:

1. There was something wrong with the genetic test - either the test, as Fruity said ,was too limited & didn't test for all known genes or there was an errori in the test

2. The father's gene hasnt' been identified (do you know what genes your 6 year old has? that makes it easy to identify which genes to look for!). If the gene hasn't been idenfied it won't show up on the genetic test. But before you come to this conclusion, make sure you know your daughter's genes. Obviously if you know her genes, and you know yours, you will know which gene to look for from the father.

3. He isn't the father of the child.

NoExcuses

What are your daughter's genes? Do you know which gene you carry that you passed on to the child?

1. There was something wrong with the genetic test - either the test, as Fruity said ,was too limited & didn't test for all known genes or there was an errori in the test

2. The father's gene hasnt' been identified (do you know what genes your 6 year old has? that makes it easy to identify which genes to look for!). If the gene hasn't been idenfied it won't show up on the genetic test. But before you come to this conclusion, make sure you know your daughter's genes. Obviously if you know her genes, and you know yours, you will know which gene to look for from the father.

NoExcuses

JazzysMom

How was your child dx with CF? Via Sweat test? I ask because if it was solely the genetic then something is amiss since her Dad cant be identified. It has been known for some carriers to have 2 copies of one gene to pass on, but its extremely rare. Its more likely to be one of the things Amy mentioned.

JazzysMom

How was your child dx with CF? Via Sweat test? I ask because if it was solely the genetic then something is amiss since her Dad cant be identified. It has been known for some carriers to have 2 copies of one gene to pass on, but its extremely rare. Its more likely to be one of the things Amy mentioned.

JazzysMom