Has this ever happened to you?

jenhum

Last summer, I was coughing really hard, when all of the sudden my legs went numb and I got incredibly dizzy. I was still able to walk, but couldn't feel my legs when I touched them and they felt like they belonged to someone else. I laid down, the numbness went away in about 5 minutes but I had an intense headache and was extremely nauseous. Also, I turned on the tv and realized that I couldn't see anything if I looked at it straight on. Anything I looked at was black. After about an hour, the dizziness subsided, I threw up and the headache went away. About an hour after that, my vision returned to normal.

My doctor had me go in for a head and neck MRI, both of which came back completely normal. We figured it was some weird fluke thing. Well, it happened again about a month ago, again when I was coughing. This time it was only my left leg and buttcheek that were numb, but everything else was the same. Threw up twice, terrible headache, and the vision loss for a couple of hours. Talked to the doc, talked to a neurologist, and he said he'd see me in a couple of months, if the MRI was normal then it probably wasn't a huge deal.

Well, it just happened again Monday night. Coughing again (and coughing hard, but not the hardest I've ever coughed or anything). This time everything below my chest was numb for almost 20 minutes and my husband had to help me walk to the bed. I am pregnant so not being able to feel my stomach really freaked me out. I would've gone to the emergency room, but I knew all the symptoms would be gone by the time I got there, plus we are having a horrible flu outbreak down here and I don't want to catch that. This time the vision/headache/nausea weren't as bad as the numbness.

So I have an appointment with the neurologist on Friday (this time I insisted on seeing him right away), but from the way he sounded on the phone I don't know what they can do after a normal MRI. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? It's not really that painful, but incredibly scary to be coughing and all the sudden lose control of a large part of my body. And the fact that I'm pregnant makes it 1000 times scarier.

Sorry so long! This may be totally un-CF related, but since it's always caused by me coughing, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has ever experienced this.

jenhum

Last summer, I was coughing really hard, when all of the sudden my legs went numb and I got incredibly dizzy. I was still able to walk, but couldn't feel my legs when I touched them and they felt like they belonged to someone else. I laid down, the numbness went away in about 5 minutes but I had an intense headache and was extremely nauseous. Also, I turned on the tv and realized that I couldn't see anything if I looked at it straight on. Anything I looked at was black. After about an hour, the dizziness subsided, I threw up and the headache went away. About an hour after that, my vision returned to normal.

My doctor had me go in for a head and neck MRI, both of which came back completely normal. We figured it was some weird fluke thing. Well, it happened again about a month ago, again when I was coughing. This time it was only my left leg and buttcheek that were numb, but everything else was the same. Threw up twice, terrible headache, and the vision loss for a couple of hours. Talked to the doc, talked to a neurologist, and he said he'd see me in a couple of months, if the MRI was normal then it probably wasn't a huge deal.

Well, it just happened again Monday night. Coughing again (and coughing hard, but not the hardest I've ever coughed or anything). This time everything below my chest was numb for almost 20 minutes and my husband had to help me walk to the bed. I am pregnant so not being able to feel my stomach really freaked me out. I would've gone to the emergency room, but I knew all the symptoms would be gone by the time I got there, plus we are having a horrible flu outbreak down here and I don't want to catch that. This time the vision/headache/nausea weren't as bad as the numbness.

So I have an appointment with the neurologist on Friday (this time I insisted on seeing him right away), but from the way he sounded on the phone I don't know what they can do after a normal MRI. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? It's not really that painful, but incredibly scary to be coughing and all the sudden lose control of a large part of my body. And the fact that I'm pregnant makes it 1000 times scarier.

Sorry so long! This may be totally un-CF related, but since it's always caused by me coughing, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has ever experienced this.

jenhum

jenhum

jenhum

<br />
<br />My doctor had me go in for a head and neck MRI, both of which came back completely normal. We figured it was some weird fluke thing. Well, it happened again about a month ago, again when I was coughing. This time it was only my left leg and buttcheek that were numb, but everything else was the same. Threw up twice, terrible headache, and the vision loss for a couple of hours. Talked to the doc, talked to a neurologist, and he said he'd see me in a couple of months, if the MRI was normal then it probably wasn't a huge deal.
<br />
<br />Well, it just happened again Monday night. Coughing again (and coughing hard, but not the hardest I've ever coughed or anything). This time everything below my chest was numb for almost 20 minutes and my husband had to help me walk to the bed. I am pregnant so not being able to feel my stomach really freaked me out. I would've gone to the emergency room, but I knew all the symptoms would be gone by the time I got there, plus we are having a horrible flu outbreak down here and I don't want to catch that. This time the vision/headache/nausea weren't as bad as the numbness.
<br />
<br />So I have an appointment with the neurologist on Friday (this time I insisted on seeing him right away), but from the way he sounded on the phone I don't know what they can do after a normal MRI. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? It's not really that painful, but incredibly scary to be coughing and all the sudden lose control of a large part of my body. And the fact that I'm pregnant makes it 1000 times scarier.
<br />
<br />Sorry so long! This may be totally un-CF related, but since it's always caused by me coughing, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has ever experienced this.

JORDYSMOM

You mentioned that you are prego. When I was carrying my first child, I had a couple of incidents where my legs and behind went numb, and it lasted about 10-20 min. The docs thought that maybe the baby had moved just right, and hit a nerve that caused the numbness. Could it be that when you cough, it causes the baby to move, and hit a nerve? It sure sounds like some nerve somewhere is getting pinched.

I'm sorry this is happening. I know it's very scary. I sincerely hope it's nothing serious, and I hope they can figure it out soon. Let us know.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

You mentioned that you are prego. When I was carrying my first child, I had a couple of incidents where my legs and behind went numb, and it lasted about 10-20 min. The docs thought that maybe the baby had moved just right, and hit a nerve that caused the numbness. Could it be that when you cough, it causes the baby to move, and hit a nerve? It sure sounds like some nerve somewhere is getting pinched.

I'm sorry this is happening. I know it's very scary. I sincerely hope it's nothing serious, and I hope they can figure it out soon. Let us know.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />I'm sorry this is happening. I know it's very scary. I sincerely hope it's nothing serious, and I hope they can figure it out soon. Let us know.
<br />
<br />Stacey

jenhum

Jordys- it definitely feels like it could be a nerve getting pinched. I've had nerve issues in my arm before from a horseback riding fall, and I can feel the similarities. It just seems like a really important nerve is getting pinched maybe! But the first time it happened was months before I got pregnant, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'll definitely update after my appt on Friday!

jenhum

Jordys- it definitely feels like it could be a nerve getting pinched. I've had nerve issues in my arm before from a horseback riding fall, and I can feel the similarities. It just seems like a really important nerve is getting pinched maybe! But the first time it happened was months before I got pregnant, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'll definitely update after my appt on Friday!

jenhum

jenhum

jenhum