Have you been resistant

sunflower

I have been diganosed with Pseudomonas over the last year and was told I am resistant to every antibioctics going. I am not on Coloymsin or Tobi and my doctor said u are resistanted to them and we will wait until you are not and probably start u on Tobi. I haven't had IV'S in a year and had two infections last year and given Cipro!!
Has anyone been resistant and does it rectify itself? Can you give your advise what should I do. Thank you Sunflower~

sunflower

I have been diganosed with Pseudomonas over the last year and was told I am resistant to every antibioctics going. I am not on Coloymsin or Tobi and my doctor said u are resistanted to them and we will wait until you are not and probably start u on Tobi. I haven't had IV'S in a year and had two infections last year and given Cipro!!
Has anyone been resistant and does it rectify itself? Can you give your advise what should I do. Thank you Sunflower~

sunflower

sunflower

sunflower

<br />Has anyone been resistant and does it rectify itself? Can you give your advise what should I do. Thank you Sunflower~

falbie13

Hey Sunflower,
I have the same problem, I have been resistant to almost every IV drug for PA for years. Ask about inhailed tobi-even though you are resistant, it is absorbed in such high quantities directly in the lungs, when inhailed, that it sometimes can "over ride" the resistance. Also your doctors should do synergy studies, sometimes two resistant drugs can work together. Hope this helps.

falbie13

Hey Sunflower,
I have the same problem, I have been resistant to almost every IV drug for PA for years. Ask about inhailed tobi-even though you are resistant, it is absorbed in such high quantities directly in the lungs, when inhailed, that it sometimes can "over ride" the resistance. Also your doctors should do synergy studies, sometimes two resistant drugs can work together. Hope this helps.

falbie13

Hey Sunflower,

falbie13

Hey Sunflower,

falbie13

Hey Sunflower,
<br />I have the same problem, I have been resistant to almost every IV drug for PA for years. Ask about inhailed tobi-even though you are resistant, it is absorbed in such high quantities directly in the lungs, when inhailed, that it sometimes can "over ride" the resistance. Also your doctors should do synergy studies, sometimes two resistant drugs can work together. Hope this helps.

ladybug

Sunflower,

Due to overuse of IV abx over the past 2 years, I quickly became resistant to every single one except zosyn (to which I'm allergic!)

They send my culture out to get it synergy tested now. It takes a really long time to get the results back though, so I'd suggest you have them do it right away. That will give you 2-3 combos of meds that will knock down the bug you're growing at that time. We're currently awaiting my syngery testing to see what they can treat my 2 strains of pseudo with. I'm excited, because before, when they'd just blindly throw 2 abx. at it that I was "intermediately" sensitive to, I never got feeling very well, so I'm hopeful getting the exact combos that should work will prove successful.

I've also heard that just cause you're resistant to Tobramyciln IV, you can still get benefit from TOBI inhaled. So, I'd maybe still try it or use it. One of my pseudo bugs is resistant to coli, but I still inhale it every other month.

Another thing is that my docs have always said a sputum culture is often only half the story. We often grow different things if you look down deep in the lungs, so it is possible that doing TOBI may help with other bacteria in your lungs that you may not be aware of. Just a thought.

Best of luck. I know its very frustrating to be resistant to everything. Especially when you haven't been on IV meds much! Urgh.

ladybug

Sunflower,

Due to overuse of IV abx over the past 2 years, I quickly became resistant to every single one except zosyn (to which I'm allergic!)

They send my culture out to get it synergy tested now. It takes a really long time to get the results back though, so I'd suggest you have them do it right away. That will give you 2-3 combos of meds that will knock down the bug you're growing at that time. We're currently awaiting my syngery testing to see what they can treat my 2 strains of pseudo with. I'm excited, because before, when they'd just blindly throw 2 abx. at it that I was "intermediately" sensitive to, I never got feeling very well, so I'm hopeful getting the exact combos that should work will prove successful.

I've also heard that just cause you're resistant to Tobramyciln IV, you can still get benefit from TOBI inhaled. So, I'd maybe still try it or use it. One of my pseudo bugs is resistant to coli, but I still inhale it every other month.

Another thing is that my docs have always said a sputum culture is often only half the story. We often grow different things if you look down deep in the lungs, so it is possible that doing TOBI may help with other bacteria in your lungs that you may not be aware of. Just a thought.

Best of luck. I know its very frustrating to be resistant to everything. Especially when you haven't been on IV meds much! Urgh.

ladybug

Sunflower,

ladybug

Sunflower,

ladybug

Sunflower,
<br />
<br />Due to overuse of IV abx over the past 2 years, I quickly became resistant to every single one except zosyn (to which I'm allergic!)
<br />
<br />They send my culture out to get it synergy tested now. It takes a really long time to get the results back though, so I'd suggest you have them do it right away. That will give you 2-3 combos of meds that will knock down the bug you're growing at that time. We're currently awaiting my syngery testing to see what they can treat my 2 strains of pseudo with. I'm excited, because before, when they'd just blindly throw 2 abx. at it that I was "intermediately" sensitive to, I never got feeling very well, so I'm hopeful getting the exact combos that should work will prove successful.
<br />
<br />I've also heard that just cause you're resistant to Tobramyciln IV, you can still get benefit from TOBI inhaled. So, I'd maybe still try it or use it. One of my pseudo bugs is resistant to coli, but I still inhale it every other month.
<br />
<br />Another thing is that my docs have always said a sputum culture is often only half the story. We often grow different things if you look down deep in the lungs, so it is possible that doing TOBI may help with other bacteria in your lungs that you may not be aware of. Just a thought.
<br />
<br />Best of luck. I know its very frustrating to be resistant to everything. Especially when you haven't been on IV meds much! Urgh.

sunflower

I have the synergie testing done. And I have two combinations of antib. One of them the doctor tried and I ended up in hospital with Pancreatitis it was a terrible time. I left that hospital and with Professor and he said "if I need IVS he will give them to me" but, I have been getting Cipro and it seems to help "great"
I am going to cut and paste what u have said about the Tobi and discuss with me. I AM just hoping the Tobi will help!! He is a good Doctor and listen's to me.
Thank you
Sunflower.

sunflower

I have the synergie testing done. And I have two combinations of antib. One of them the doctor tried and I ended up in hospital with Pancreatitis it was a terrible time. I left that hospital and with Professor and he said "if I need IVS he will give them to me" but, I have been getting Cipro and it seems to help "great"
I am going to cut and paste what u have said about the Tobi and discuss with me. I AM just hoping the Tobi will help!! He is a good Doctor and listen's to me.
Thank you
Sunflower.

sunflower

Thank you
Sunflower.

sunflower

Thank you
Sunflower.

sunflower

<br />I am going to cut and paste what u have said about the Tobi and discuss with me. I AM just hoping the Tobi will help!! He is a good Doctor and listen's to me.
<br />Thank you
<br />Sunflower.