Having children

CFHockeyMom

I've decided to start a separate thread for this because it truly is it's own issue and it isn't purely CF related.

I'd like to preface this discussion by stating that I'm fully aware this will become a debate which I encourage but do ask that the respondants not only provide their opinion but the basis for that opinion.

Firstly let's define selfishness. Most dictionaries and philosophers define selfishness as looking after one's own desires, concerned with your own interests, needs, and wishes while ignoring those of others.

The "opposite" of selfishness is altruism; selflessness: an attitude or way of behaving marked by unselfish concern for the welfare of others. The sacrifice of one's own interests or well-being.

Here's my point...

Choosing to have a child is a selfish act because you (as the potential parent) are choosing to bring a child into the world for yourselves; for your happiness. Your motivation is for your own happiness/pleasure. One could even argue that the mere act of having intercourse to create this child was for your own pleasure thus the consequences are due to our selfish nature. Now some may argue that they are bringing a child into this world for the future happiness of the child and maybe even for society as a whole. However, wouldn't the happiness of that child be in your best interest as their parent? I assume all parents would answer yes and in doing so agree they've acted in their own best interest.

Some will say that having a child is the most selfless (altruistic) act possible. That may indeed be the case once the child has arrived. Most parents sacrifice continually for their children. However, the choice to bring a child into this world is far from altruistic. Remember altruism involves diregarding ones self for the welfare of others. Even the healthiest and happiest of children will experience sadness and pain in their lives. If we accept this as truth then the potential parent is knowingly allowing their future child to experience sadness and pain, which demonstrates a lack of concern for the child. i.e. they are not acting in the best interest of the child.

Now, some may argue that the pain in life is exceded by life's joy and that "overall" they acted in the child's best interest. At this point, I refer you to arguement number one: the child's happiness brings you happiness thus you haven't acted selflessly.

Humans are motivated by happiness. Even the seemingly most selfless act isn't really selfless at all if the agent in turn experiences happiness/gratification.

Let the flame wars begin...

CFHockeyMom

I've decided to start a separate thread for this because it truly is it's own issue and it isn't purely CF related.

I'd like to preface this discussion by stating that I'm fully aware this will become a debate which I encourage but do ask that the respondants not only provide their opinion but the basis for that opinion.

Firstly let's define selfishness. Most dictionaries and philosophers define selfishness as looking after one's own desires, concerned with your own interests, needs, and wishes while ignoring those of others.

The "opposite" of selfishness is altruism; selflessness: an attitude or way of behaving marked by unselfish concern for the welfare of others. The sacrifice of one's own interests or well-being.

Here's my point...

Choosing to have a child is a selfish act because you (as the potential parent) are choosing to bring a child into the world for yourselves; for your happiness. Your motivation is for your own happiness/pleasure. One could even argue that the mere act of having intercourse to create this child was for your own pleasure thus the consequences are due to our selfish nature. Now some may argue that they are bringing a child into this world for the future happiness of the child and maybe even for society as a whole. However, wouldn't the happiness of that child be in your best interest as their parent? I assume all parents would answer yes and in doing so agree they've acted in their own best interest.

Some will say that having a child is the most selfless (altruistic) act possible. That may indeed be the case once the child has arrived. Most parents sacrifice continually for their children. However, the choice to bring a child into this world is far from altruistic. Remember altruism involves diregarding ones self for the welfare of others. Even the healthiest and happiest of children will experience sadness and pain in their lives. If we accept this as truth then the potential parent is knowingly allowing their future child to experience sadness and pain, which demonstrates a lack of concern for the child. i.e. they are not acting in the best interest of the child.

Now, some may argue that the pain in life is exceded by life's joy and that "overall" they acted in the child's best interest. At this point, I refer you to arguement number one: the child's happiness brings you happiness thus you haven't acted selflessly.

Humans are motivated by happiness. Even the seemingly most selfless act isn't really selfless at all if the agent in turn experiences happiness/gratification.

CFHockeyMom

Here's my point...

CFHockeyMom

Here's my point...

CFHockeyMom

Here's my point...

CFHockeyMom

Here's my point...

CFHockeyMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>why start this argument all over again . This topic never stays as a calm debate.</end quote></div>

1. I enjoy a good intellectual/educated discussion from time to time.

2. I'm interested in hearing from the opposition because a) I may learn something and b) I may need to further "tune" my arguement.

3. I believe that there is value even in the most heated/passionate disagreements.

4. If someone doesn't like the topic or the resulting discussion they are more than welcome not to read it or respond to it.

CFHockeyMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>why start this argument all over again . This topic never stays as a calm debate.</end quote></div>

2. I'm interested in hearing from the opposition because a) I may learn something and b) I may need to further "tune" my arguement.

3. I believe that there is value even in the most heated/passionate disagreements.

4. If someone doesn't like the topic or the resulting discussion they are more than welcome not to read it or respond to it.

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>why start this argument all over again . This topic never stays as a calm debate.</end quote>

CFHockeyMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>why start this argument all over again . This topic never stays as a calm debate.</end quote>

dramamama

Hi Claudette-
Nothing against you at all...but when I saw this I thought , "Oh my gosh, this poor horse....haven't we beat it enough already...no longer dead...now he is decaying."

Glad you like a good debate though.
carry on---

mandy

dramamama

Hi Claudette-
Nothing against you at all...but when I saw this I thought , "Oh my gosh, this poor horse....haven't we beat it enough already...no longer dead...now he is decaying."

Glad you like a good debate though.
carry on---

mandy