Having children

dramamama

Hi Claudette-
Nothing against you at all...but when I saw this I thought , "Oh my gosh, this poor horse....haven't we beat it enough already...no longer dead...now he is decaying."

Glad you like a good debate though.
carry on---

mandy

dramamama

Hi Claudette-
Nothing against you at all...but when I saw this I thought , "Oh my gosh, this poor horse....haven't we beat it enough already...no longer dead...now he is decaying."

carry on---

mandy

dramamama

Hi Claudette-

carry on---

mandy

dramamama

Hi Claudette-

carry on---

mandy

kswitch

by your own logic the debate is redundant. even the most altruistic personalities derive some sort of gratification from their benevolent behavior. if they receive gratification or satisfaction, they are acting in their own self interests. this shows that selfishness is a human condition. perhaps not THE human condition, but certainly an inevitibility.

otherwise, you could also say that having a child is the ultimate in selfless act, depending on which entity outside of yourself you wish to surrender to. if your life belongs to god or society or whatever, and these entities compel you to spawn offspring, the faithful servant will be selflessly respond, regardless of his, her, or the child's well being.

this is not to say that either of those paragraphs reflects the position that i take, but it is something to chew on for a moment.

kswitch

by your own logic the debate is redundant. even the most altruistic personalities derive some sort of gratification from their benevolent behavior. if they receive gratification or satisfaction, they are acting in their own self interests. this shows that selfishness is a human condition. perhaps not THE human condition, but certainly an inevitibility.

otherwise, you could also say that having a child is the ultimate in selfless act, depending on which entity outside of yourself you wish to surrender to. if your life belongs to god or society or whatever, and these entities compel you to spawn offspring, the faithful servant will be selflessly respond, regardless of his, her, or the child's well being.

this is not to say that either of those paragraphs reflects the position that i take, but it is something to chew on for a moment.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

Pete

Choosing to have a child is not ALWAYS a decision made for the purpose of creating some sort of happiness in yourself...or filling a void of some sort...I believe that's what you're getting at.

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

Some do it even though it will make their lives a financial struggle.

Some do it for the pursuit of mending relationships.

Some do it out of loneliness...yadda yadda yadda

There is no simple one post definition of the reasons behind having children.

I missed the last "discussion", but who has the right to judge the lives of others?, who are you or I to decide what people can and can't have a child, and who are we to judge those decisions?.

I have no right to judge you, you have no right to judge me. Let that dog sleep.

Pete

Choosing to have a child is not ALWAYS a decision made for the purpose of creating some sort of happiness in yourself...or filling a void of some sort...I believe that's what you're getting at.

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

I missed the last "discussion", but who has the right to judge the lives of others?, who are you or I to decide what people can and can't have a child, and who are we to judge those decisions?.

I have no right to judge you, you have no right to judge me. Let that dog sleep.

Pete

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

Pete

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

Pete

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

Pete

Some do it for money.

Some do it by instinct.

amysmom

I am Amy's Mom and I agree with her unpopular view regarding bringing a child into this world that you know you will not be able to give 100% to. Our children aren't here to take care of us. They're also not here to be 2nd in our life which they'd have to be because taking care of CF is so much work.

[P]The decision is extremely painful but it's very selfish to have a child when you know the information ahead of time. If our goal is to do the ABSOLUTE best for a child, you wouldn't subject them to this.

[P]Of course children with a parent with CF says they love them (which they do) and wouldn't want to be without them. That's how children feel about their parents. To ask a child that with a CF parent doesn't address the issue.

[P]The issue, in my opinion, is only what is the best for a child. A sick parent, especially the mother, is not the best.

amysmom

I am Amy's Mom and I agree with her unpopular view regarding bringing a child into this world that you know you will not be able to give 100% to. Our children aren't here to take care of us. They're also not here to be 2nd in our life which they'd have to be because taking care of CF is so much work.

[P]The decision is extremely painful but it's very selfish to have a child when you know the information ahead of time. If our goal is to do the ABSOLUTE best for a child, you wouldn't subject them to this.

[P]Of course children with a parent with CF says they love them (which they do) and wouldn't want to be without them. That's how children feel about their parents. To ask a child that with a CF parent doesn't address the issue.

[P]The issue, in my opinion, is only what is the best for a child. A sick parent, especially the mother, is not the best.

amysmom

amysmom