health care careers

breakitdownjj

Hello, I am 17 and I as just wondering if there is any CFers out there that have successfully held down a career in the health care system. I would really like to be a doctor but am constantly doubted by other people because i have CF. Any comments would be wonderful!

breakitdownjj

Hello, I am 17 and I as just wondering if there is any CFers out there that have successfully held down a career in the health care system. I would really like to be a doctor but am constantly doubted by other people because i have CF. Any comments would be wonderful!

breakitdownjj

breakitdownjj

breakitdownjj

shallowwaters

i am an STNA and a Phlebotomist. i have worked as an STNA since 2004, i worked mostly part time but when i wasnt sick or slacking on treatments i was fully capable of working full time. i am currently waiting on a reply for a phlebotomist job that will be very intense on hrs and sleep time and my first techinical full time job. i know i will be able to pull if off as long as i do all my treatments.
where at in OH do you live? i also live in ohio

i think overall it just depends on how you feel you can deal with the schooling to become a dr. i dont see why you couldnt if you are determined and feel you have your cf under control. there will be times you get run down thats for sure. my mom always told me i could do anything i wanted..... except i wanted to be an astronaut... and i really couldnt do that lol. stupid military. no but seriously i try to keep the frame of mind that cf cant hold you back. you are young it is realistic for you.

feel free to PM me

shallowwaters

i am an STNA and a Phlebotomist. i have worked as an STNA since 2004, i worked mostly part time but when i wasnt sick or slacking on treatments i was fully capable of working full time. i am currently waiting on a reply for a phlebotomist job that will be very intense on hrs and sleep time and my first techinical full time job. i know i will be able to pull if off as long as i do all my treatments.

i think overall it just depends on how you feel you can deal with the schooling to become a dr. i dont see why you couldnt if you are determined and feel you have your cf under control. there will be times you get run down thats for sure. my mom always told me i could do anything i wanted..... except i wanted to be an astronaut... and i really couldnt do that lol. stupid military. no but seriously i try to keep the frame of mind that cf cant hold you back. you are young it is realistic for you.

feel free to PM me

shallowwaters

feel free to PM me

shallowwaters

feel free to PM me

shallowwaters

<br /> where at in OH do you live? i also live in ohio
<br />
<br />i think overall it just depends on how you feel you can deal with the schooling to become a dr. i dont see why you couldnt if you are determined and feel you have your cf under control. there will be times you get run down thats for sure. my mom always told me i could do anything i wanted..... except i wanted to be an astronaut... and i really couldnt do that lol. stupid military. no but seriously i try to keep the frame of mind that cf cant hold you back. you are young it is realistic for you.
<br />
<br />feel free to PM me

jdubbs

I know there are doctors with CF out there, so it's possible. In particular I recall one who went to my clinic. I never met him, but remember reading a bit about his experience. He made it through residency, but said he regretted it, and if he had to do it again, wouldn't do it. His explanation was that it was too time intensive and as a result he slacked on self-care. His health slipped substantially and in a permanent manner. It's a lot to lose. However, this all happened a number of years ago, and it's just a single example.

I used to want to be a doctor. I opted out basically because I didn't think I'd be able to handle the hours residency requires. I think that was an accurate assessment. TO keep myself healthy, I need plenty of sleep and time to exercise. I have many friends in residency. It's pretty clear to me that I'd be run into the ground pretty quickly. All that said, if you're interested in medicine, by all means study it! Make the decision down the road when you have more information. At current, I am working towards a PhD in Biostatistics, (the statistics behind clinical trials and epidemiology). I may not be a doctor, but at least I get to contribute to the medical field in my own little way. Not all is lost if you choose not to be a doctor.

jdubbs

I know there are doctors with CF out there, so it's possible. In particular I recall one who went to my clinic. I never met him, but remember reading a bit about his experience. He made it through residency, but said he regretted it, and if he had to do it again, wouldn't do it. His explanation was that it was too time intensive and as a result he slacked on self-care. His health slipped substantially and in a permanent manner. It's a lot to lose. However, this all happened a number of years ago, and it's just a single example.

I used to want to be a doctor. I opted out basically because I didn't think I'd be able to handle the hours residency requires. I think that was an accurate assessment. TO keep myself healthy, I need plenty of sleep and time to exercise. I have many friends in residency. It's pretty clear to me that I'd be run into the ground pretty quickly. All that said, if you're interested in medicine, by all means study it! Make the decision down the road when you have more information. At current, I am working towards a PhD in Biostatistics, (the statistics behind clinical trials and epidemiology). I may not be a doctor, but at least I get to contribute to the medical field in my own little way. Not all is lost if you choose not to be a doctor.

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs

<br />
<br />I used to want to be a doctor. I opted out basically because I didn't think I'd be able to handle the hours residency requires. I think that was an accurate assessment. TO keep myself healthy, I need plenty of sleep and time to exercise. I have many friends in residency. It's pretty clear to me that I'd be run into the ground pretty quickly. All that said, if you're interested in medicine, by all means study it! Make the decision down the road when you have more information. At current, I am working towards a PhD in Biostatistics, (the statistics behind clinical trials and epidemiology). I may not be a doctor, but at least I get to contribute to the medical field in my own little way. Not all is lost if you choose not to be a doctor.
<br />

W

welshwitch

i talked on the phone with a 48 year old woman w. CF who is an MD, a pathologist dealing w. cancer. She's great! I know she also has 2 kids. Now she runs a non profit organization.

There is also an awesome article about a woman doctor w. CF who has the BEST BEST attitude. You can read it here:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.docsquid.com/mylifecf.htm
">http://www.docsquid.com/mylifecf.htm
</a>
checkitoout!!!!

W

welshwitch

i talked on the phone with a 48 year old woman w. CF who is an MD, a pathologist dealing w. cancer. She's great! I know she also has 2 kids. Now she runs a non profit organization.

There is also an awesome article about a woman doctor w. CF who has the BEST BEST attitude. You can read it here:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.docsquid.com/mylifecf.htm
</a>
checkitoout!!!!

W

welshwitch

</a>
checkitoout!!!!

W

welshwitch

</a>
checkitoout!!!!

W

welshwitch

<br />
<br />There is also an awesome article about a woman doctor w. CF who has the BEST BEST attitude. You can read it here:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.docsquid.com/mylifecf.htm
</a><br />
<br />checkitoout!!!!
<br />
<br />