Hearing loss from IV Tobramycin

proverbs3

Faith lost some of her high frequency hearing because of being of the IV Tobramycin (don't get confused with the inhaled TOBI). I know hearing devices are not covered by insurance and I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had this problem and what are you doing about it. I've looked into hearing aids a little bit and for the first time, she used one of those hearing devices at the theatre and loved it. Now she doesn't want to learn sign language, she just wants to be able to hear again.

Thanks.

proverbs3

Faith lost some of her high frequency hearing because of being of the IV Tobramycin (don't get confused with the inhaled TOBI). I know hearing devices are not covered by insurance and I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had this problem and what are you doing about it. I've looked into hearing aids a little bit and for the first time, she used one of those hearing devices at the theatre and loved it. Now she doesn't want to learn sign language, she just wants to be able to hear again.

Thanks.

proverbs3

Thanks.

proverbs3

Thanks.

proverbs3

Thanks.

dasjsmum

I remember reading that magnesium???? can restore some hearing ???? It might be on Drama mama's Blog...it may be worth looking into. Otherwise, very sorry to hear your news, and I'm afraid I haven't had to deal with this issue so can't be helpful in reply.

dasjsmum

I remember reading that magnesium???? can restore some hearing ???? It might be on Drama mama's Blog...it may be worth looking into. Otherwise, very sorry to hear your news, and I'm afraid I haven't had to deal with this issue so can't be helpful in reply.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

proverbs3

That would be nice, unfortunately we were told that she has permanantly lost it and that there is no way of it coming back. As a matter of fact, it will get worse.

Thanks anyway,

proverbs3

That would be nice, unfortunately we were told that she has permanantly lost it and that there is no way of it coming back. As a matter of fact, it will get worse.

Thanks anyway,

proverbs3

Thanks anyway,

proverbs3

Thanks anyway,

proverbs3

Thanks anyway,

I

IG

If it's from Tobi then it's a loss of hair cells in the ear. Currently there is no way to reverse this. Magnesium I believe is a good preventative for noise-induced hearing loss, not medication. I believe that studies have shown that low magnesium levels can hinder hearing with gentamycin.

As for the hearing devices in the theater most just increase the volume of the movie. Basically it's like sitting in front of the TV and turning up the volume all the way. If she's only had high frequency loss then she'll notice it, at least the lower frequency which might be why she's so excited since she's hearing something. There's no guarantee that her hearing will get worse, but then again with Tobra there's no guarantee that it'll stay the same either. After having my first 'hit' of hearing loss it didn't change for about 2 years and probably wouldn't have changed if I hadn't gotten so sick and been put on a variety of aminoglycoside medications.

As for the insurance information there's not much I can help you with besides saying look into your policy. A lot of policies say that they will provide hearing aids as long as the person is under 21. If she's on Medicaid it depends on the state; with the state that i'm in right now PA I'm eligible for hearing aids up until 21 but it varies. I also have secondary insurance and I'm eligible for hearing aids through them for a small co-pay depending on the brand. So it just depends, you won't really know until you do some in depth research about it but not all insurance companies deny hearing aids right off the bat.

I

IG

If it's from Tobi then it's a loss of hair cells in the ear. Currently there is no way to reverse this. Magnesium I believe is a good preventative for noise-induced hearing loss, not medication. I believe that studies have shown that low magnesium levels can hinder hearing with gentamycin.

As for the hearing devices in the theater most just increase the volume of the movie. Basically it's like sitting in front of the TV and turning up the volume all the way. If she's only had high frequency loss then she'll notice it, at least the lower frequency which might be why she's so excited since she's hearing something. There's no guarantee that her hearing will get worse, but then again with Tobra there's no guarantee that it'll stay the same either. After having my first 'hit' of hearing loss it didn't change for about 2 years and probably wouldn't have changed if I hadn't gotten so sick and been put on a variety of aminoglycoside medications.

As for the insurance information there's not much I can help you with besides saying look into your policy. A lot of policies say that they will provide hearing aids as long as the person is under 21. If she's on Medicaid it depends on the state; with the state that i'm in right now PA I'm eligible for hearing aids up until 21 but it varies. I also have secondary insurance and I'm eligible for hearing aids through them for a small co-pay depending on the brand. So it just depends, you won't really know until you do some in depth research about it but not all insurance companies deny hearing aids right off the bat.

I

IG

I

IG

I

IG