heart problems with cf?

randomgirl

I was wondering how many of you have heart problems associated with CF? I know that the heart becomes weaker over time with CF. My lung function is around 25% and I'm on oxygen at night and sometimes during the day. But lately I feel as if my heart gets really tired and I get exhausted easily. I've been told that my heart was a bit enlarged but that's just due to the CF. I also read that some CFer's die from right-sided heart failure. Is that a sudden thing or what? I'm not worried...I'm just curious.

randomgirl

I was wondering how many of you have heart problems associated with CF? I know that the heart becomes weaker over time with CF. My lung function is around 25% and I'm on oxygen at night and sometimes during the day. But lately I feel as if my heart gets really tired and I get exhausted easily. I've been told that my heart was a bit enlarged but that's just due to the CF. I also read that some CFer's die from right-sided heart failure. Is that a sudden thing or what? I'm not worried...I'm just curious.

randomgirl

B

BikerEd

My brother had heart problems I remember them putting a think on him to monitor it, and through regular excercise and stuff it did not become a big issue, or at least then

B

BikerEd

My brother had heart problems I remember them putting a think on him to monitor it, and through regular excercise and stuff it did not become a big issue, or at least then

B

BikerEd

NYCLawGirl

hi guys, i'm back!

so i have SVT associated with pulmonary issues from my CF. i developed it several years pre-tx and it has stuck around even post. i take beta blockers for it, but have been told several times that it's not particularly dangerous. i did have a close friend with CF who died, apparently, due to cardiac arrest. her lungs were shot though, so it's hard to say whether it was a true heart problem or a respiratory failure. of course the two are related.

my tip is to wear your O2 whenever your levels are in the 80s or even low 90s. that will truly help with the heart damage. also, speak to your doc about some form of monitoring if you're worried. they can do a holter monitor for a couple of days and track your rhythms, then get a better sense of what's going on with your heart and whether there are any treatment options. i think a lot of the time our heart issues (PH, SVT, etc) are related to low O2 levels -- even when they're not in the "dangerous" range, lack of O2 can still force your heart to work harder than normal, and often we don't absorb the vitamins and nutrients (like potassium) necessary to give our hearts that extra boost of energy. just my 2 cents.

hope you get it figured out!

NYCLawGirl

hi guys, i'm back!

so i have SVT associated with pulmonary issues from my CF. i developed it several years pre-tx and it has stuck around even post. i take beta blockers for it, but have been told several times that it's not particularly dangerous. i did have a close friend with CF who died, apparently, due to cardiac arrest. her lungs were shot though, so it's hard to say whether it was a true heart problem or a respiratory failure. of course the two are related.

my tip is to wear your O2 whenever your levels are in the 80s or even low 90s. that will truly help with the heart damage. also, speak to your doc about some form of monitoring if you're worried. they can do a holter monitor for a couple of days and track your rhythms, then get a better sense of what's going on with your heart and whether there are any treatment options. i think a lot of the time our heart issues (PH, SVT, etc) are related to low O2 levels -- even when they're not in the "dangerous" range, lack of O2 can still force your heart to work harder than normal, and often we don't absorb the vitamins and nutrients (like potassium) necessary to give our hearts that extra boost of energy. just my 2 cents.

NYCLawGirl

hi guys, i'm back!