Heart problems?

AmyKins

Is it common for people with CF to have heart problems too? Yesterday my doc asked me if my feet are ever swollen & then she mentioned conjestive heart failure- I have never noticed it, but I do notice that sometimes my ankles are sore and look a little puffy. I was looking up the symptoms of conjestive heart failure and its kind of scaring me because I think I have some of the symptoms (or it could just be my CF) does anyone know anything about this? Thanks

EnergyGal

I personally think it was wrong for your doctor to mention that you could have congested heart failure without running the proper tests. She should have said lets do some tests to rule out CHF

Mockingbird

Congestive heart failure in common for anyone with a COPD, but it usually isn't seen in CF because Cfers haven't been living long enough yet for the heart to get weak. I thik the only way it would be showing itslef at age 22 is if there was a birth defect of your heart in addition to your CF.

<b>Edit:</b> I just noticed on your sig you have diabetes. Isn't swelling something that can be caused by diabetes? I think I remember that from somewhere, but I'm not sure.

LisaV

I don't think that heart problems are associated with age per se but, instead, are associated with the length of time a person's lungs have had serious damage - especially if the person hasn't been using oxygen during that time and their O2 levels have been under 90 for years.

An underlying heart problem is also possible as well. My husand had both bronchiectasis and Marfan syndrome (which effects heart valves). He was set up for heart failure. That's one reason they put him on calcium channel blockers and O2 really really early.

You can't know what's really going on without the tests tho. So docs may ask abouot retaining fluid (puffy ankles and such) and let you know for what reason they are asking, but they can't really make the diagnosis without the tests (doesn't sound like your doc has actually). Maybe your doc is just treating you like the grownup you are and letting you know what the possible concerns are and why he/she would like to do tests (and I would insist on the tests - at least on an echocardigram).

AmyKins

yea, my doc just told me its something they worry about- she wasn't saying I had it. I highly doubt I have it because I just had a normal heart test in April. I was just wondering what the symptoms were because Im in the transplant eval. so its something I worry about, but thats just me - when I get something in my head I can't get it out until I have a test and they tell me its ok.

EnergyGal

Hi Amy

I think it is normal to some degree while waiting for a transplant to have swolllen ankles. I did for my second transplant but i do not remember ten years ago what If I had swollen ankles for my first. I think that might be related to high blood pressure. My pressure would raise a lot and then after the transplant it was back to normal.

LisaV

amykins writes:
"when I get something in my head I can't get it out until I have a test and they tell me its ok. "

understand that completely, I'm exactly the same way about getting "something in my head". Hope you get the test that tells you heart is ok enough for lung transplant soon.