HELP! 21st bday and possibly have to spend in hospital!

megan420

Im in the hospital in a town closer to my hometown because its the winter. I usually go to the docs 600 miles away but its too risky with the harsh winters we have in North Dakota! I came in coughin up some blood, just some streaks of blood, and dark colored mucus. They put me on some random IV meds, not the ones I usually take; and I unfortunetly realized this just a bit ago. I have lost a bit of weight in here also, which is normal for me considering I'm sick, but its not normal to lose it in the hospital. Usually I lose this wieght at home and gain some back when I go in for a tune up! The problem Im having is that my big 21st Birthday is on Monday! And they told me I was able to go home Monday morning, they wanted to keep as long as they could because I couple days ago I was still coughing up some stuff. Well its Friday night now and Im coughing up some darker stuff w spots of blood again! Im really hesitant to tell them because I really dont want to miss my 21st birthday! It happens once in a lifetime, and I came in here and missed New Years Eve so I wouldn't miss my bday! Im sick and tired of being in here on holidays, being in the hospital is bad enough! Im just fed up with this! I feel like I have wasted the last week and a half because, although my PFTs are up, my O2(they are sitting around 92-94 which is a bit low for me)stats are not and im still coughing up junk! I could really use some words of encouragment or some1 with a similar case, because I feel like all my friends at home dont understand how much this sucks ass! They all just say 'oh that sucks, sorry Megan' and move on to a diffrent subject! Im really questioning wather to tell the docs of the dark junk im coughing up, but I know thats not the smart thing to do. But it does sound like the best thing! I feel likeCF takes enough away from me already! I want to keep this, this event Ive been waiting for for, god it feels like a million years! ANy help will be greatly aprecieated!

megan420

Im in the hospital in a town closer to my hometown because its the winter. I usually go to the docs 600 miles away but its too risky with the harsh winters we have in North Dakota! I came in coughin up some blood, just some streaks of blood, and dark colored mucus. They put me on some random IV meds, not the ones I usually take; and I unfortunetly realized this just a bit ago. I have lost a bit of weight in here also, which is normal for me considering I'm sick, but its not normal to lose it in the hospital. Usually I lose this wieght at home and gain some back when I go in for a tune up! The problem Im having is that my big 21st Birthday is on Monday! And they told me I was able to go home Monday morning, they wanted to keep as long as they could because I couple days ago I was still coughing up some stuff. Well its Friday night now and Im coughing up some darker stuff w spots of blood again! Im really hesitant to tell them because I really dont want to miss my 21st birthday! It happens once in a lifetime, and I came in here and missed New Years Eve so I wouldn't miss my bday! Im sick and tired of being in here on holidays, being in the hospital is bad enough! Im just fed up with this! I feel like I have wasted the last week and a half because, although my PFTs are up, my O2(they are sitting around 92-94 which is a bit low for me)stats are not and im still coughing up junk! I could really use some words of encouragment or some1 with a similar case, because I feel like all my friends at home dont understand how much this sucks ass! They all just say 'oh that sucks, sorry Megan' and move on to a diffrent subject! Im really questioning wather to tell the docs of the dark junk im coughing up, but I know thats not the smart thing to do. But it does sound like the best thing! I feel likeCF takes enough away from me already! I want to keep this, this event Ive been waiting for for, god it feels like a million years! ANy help will be greatly aprecieated!

megan420

J

JenniferRose65

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is actually what you want to hear...but it might help. I spent Halloween and my 18th birthday in the hospital and it does suck, I'm not going to lie. It was the first time I had been in the hospital since I was 7 and of all times, it had to be the middle of my senior year of high school, during my 18th birthday, and Halloween! But looking back on it, honestly it's one of my favorite birthday memories!
I had a wonderful nursing staff that threw me a mini birthday party in my room...they made me a big sign and everything! My best friend threw me a surprise birthday party in my hospital room!
I know exactly how you're feeling...I've been in the same position you are. Now I understand there's a big difference between turning 18 and turning 21, but you just have to take it for what it is. I know how you feel! I really do! But the world will be waiting for you when you get out of the hospital, you just have to take the time to get completely healthy before you can really enjoy it! Then go out and hit the town for belated 21st birthday celebrations!

J

JenniferRose65

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is actually what you want to hear...but it might help. I spent Halloween and my 18th birthday in the hospital and it does suck, I'm not going to lie. It was the first time I had been in the hospital since I was 7 and of all times, it had to be the middle of my senior year of high school, during my 18th birthday, and Halloween! But looking back on it, honestly it's one of my favorite birthday memories!
I had a wonderful nursing staff that threw me a mini birthday party in my room...they made me a big sign and everything! My best friend threw me a surprise birthday party in my hospital room!
I know exactly how you're feeling...I've been in the same position you are. Now I understand there's a big difference between turning 18 and turning 21, but you just have to take it for what it is. I know how you feel! I really do! But the world will be waiting for you when you get out of the hospital, you just have to take the time to get completely healthy before you can really enjoy it! Then go out and hit the town for belated 21st birthday celebrations!

J

JenniferRose65

<br />I had a wonderful nursing staff that threw me a mini birthday party in my room...they made me a big sign and everything! My best friend threw me a surprise birthday party in my hospital room!
<br />I know exactly how you're feeling...I've been in the same position you are. Now I understand there's a big difference between turning 18 and turning 21, but you just have to take it for what it is. I know how you feel! I really do! But the world will be waiting for you when you get out of the hospital, you just have to take the time to get completely healthy before you can really enjoy it! Then go out and hit the town for belated 21st birthday celebrations!

W

windex125

Please don't be upset, you won't be 21 again but you will be 22, and 23 and so on. You will have delayed celerating. Unfortunately we spend alot of important dates in hosp. or on IV's but the next day we get better and better and we get to fill in the gaps sooner or later. Please don't be too sad, you are at the right place at this time, you need to get better so there is tomorrow and there will be. Stay postive. I know you will always remember where you spent yr 21st. but I bet yr. 22nd you will make up for it. You really will. Get better and throw yrself the best celebration ever. Pat-56/CF

W

windex125

Please don't be upset, you won't be 21 again but you will be 22, and 23 and so on. You will have delayed celerating. Unfortunately we spend alot of important dates in hosp. or on IV's but the next day we get better and better and we get to fill in the gaps sooner or later. Please don't be too sad, you are at the right place at this time, you need to get better so there is tomorrow and there will be. Stay postive. I know you will always remember where you spent yr 21st. but I bet yr. 22nd you will make up for it. You really will. Get better and throw yrself the best celebration ever. Pat-56/CF

W

windex125

C

Cherylwithone

Food for thought. Is it better staying in the hospital and geting all better. Going out on the town when your health is in check and your feeling good? Or, get out now do your birthday celabration, feel like crap the entire night while doing so and then end up back in the hospital in worse condition thn when you started.

I do realize that turning 21 is a big one. But at the risk of your health or life it is reall small when you compare it.

Sorry, I know this is not what you wanted to hear. My daughter has missed school dances, her sweet 16 and so on because of her health. We always make up for it when she feels better.

C

Cherylwithone

Food for thought. Is it better staying in the hospital and geting all better. Going out on the town when your health is in check and your feeling good? Or, get out now do your birthday celabration, feel like crap the entire night while doing so and then end up back in the hospital in worse condition thn when you started.

I do realize that turning 21 is a big one. But at the risk of your health or life it is reall small when you compare it.

Sorry, I know this is not what you wanted to hear. My daughter has missed school dances, her sweet 16 and so on because of her health. We always make up for it when she feels better.

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />I do realize that turning 21 is a big one. But at the risk of your health or life it is reall small when you compare it.
<br />
<br />Sorry, I know this is not what you wanted to hear. My daughter has missed school dances, her sweet 16 and so on because of her health. We always make up for it when she feels better.

mag6125

Trust me your birthday won't be as fun as you think if you feel like crap. I spent my birthday in the hospital this year and had to cancel a whole week of plans but my nurses were great and decorated my room and even brought me a cake. Then that night my friends all came for pizza and to hang out for a while. Do what you have to do to get better then go out another night, you will have more fun when you feel good and worrying about coughing up a bunch of blood in front of your friends.

mag6125

Trust me your birthday won't be as fun as you think if you feel like crap. I spent my birthday in the hospital this year and had to cancel a whole week of plans but my nurses were great and decorated my room and even brought me a cake. Then that night my friends all came for pizza and to hang out for a while. Do what you have to do to get better then go out another night, you will have more fun when you feel good and worrying about coughing up a bunch of blood in front of your friends.

mag6125

megan420

Thanks guys, thats not what I wanted to hear but knew that would be the responses! I am about 100 miles away from my town so I would in fact be spending my 21st birthday alone and in the hospital and highly dout the nurses would do anything for my bday! Nurses here are nice but probably wouldnt go further than saying happy birthday! Im not coughing up a ton of junk but more than I should be to be able to leave! Im just very frustrated because they are not giving me the usual meds and so I feel like if they would've this wouldn't have been an issue. They told me that they were going to try and get ahold of my docs in Minneapolis but Im questioning if they even tried! I would probably end up crying all day on Monday and being extremly mad! I dont feel like ***** so I know my bday would still rock if i left on Monday; its just that I dont know what would happen with this infection. Because I obviously still have 1 because of the colored mucus! I hope it all works out; but unfortunetly I will be talking to the weekend doc about the colored junk. I know its the rit thing to do, and I have a hard time not doing the rit things lol its my curse

megan420

Thanks guys, thats not what I wanted to hear but knew that would be the responses! I am about 100 miles away from my town so I would in fact be spending my 21st birthday alone and in the hospital and highly dout the nurses would do anything for my bday! Nurses here are nice but probably wouldnt go further than saying happy birthday! Im not coughing up a ton of junk but more than I should be to be able to leave! Im just very frustrated because they are not giving me the usual meds and so I feel like if they would've this wouldn't have been an issue. They told me that they were going to try and get ahold of my docs in Minneapolis but Im questioning if they even tried! I would probably end up crying all day on Monday and being extremly mad! I dont feel like ***** so I know my bday would still rock if i left on Monday; its just that I dont know what would happen with this infection. Because I obviously still have 1 because of the colored mucus! I hope it all works out; but unfortunetly I will be talking to the weekend doc about the colored junk. I know its the rit thing to do, and I have a hard time not doing the rit things lol its my curse

megan420

AimeeSue82

Can you call your CF doc and explain that they're not using the right drugs and that it's having a negative impact on your recovery? Don't leave it up to them to call your clinic. No doc wants to admit that they did something wrong, they'll just keep treating you incorrectly- I've been in that exact position. But they do need to know you're coughing up blood again.

And as for your birthday, I've spent Halloween, Valentine's Day, a New Years Eve, a birthday and even Christmas in the hospital over the years. In fact for my 27th I was in the hospital and the cafeteria made me a steak dinner, with a baked potato, fresh fruit bowl, a mini-cake and a whole bottle of sparkling cider! Then the nurses brought me "gifts"- I water pitcher for my margaritas, and a bed pan for after the margaritas, a stethoscope to spy on cute guys, etc. I'm sure your nurses will do something. Plus, you're going to be 21 for a whole year- you can celebrate it whenever you get out. Plus, bars are dead on Monday nights anyway! Wait til the weekend after you get out and party it up when you feel great! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

AimeeSue82

Can you call your CF doc and explain that they're not using the right drugs and that it's having a negative impact on your recovery? Don't leave it up to them to call your clinic. No doc wants to admit that they did something wrong, they'll just keep treating you incorrectly- I've been in that exact position. But they do need to know you're coughing up blood again.

And as for your birthday, I've spent Halloween, Valentine's Day, a New Years Eve, a birthday and even Christmas in the hospital over the years. In fact for my 27th I was in the hospital and the cafeteria made me a steak dinner, with a baked potato, fresh fruit bowl, a mini-cake and a whole bottle of sparkling cider! Then the nurses brought me "gifts"- I water pitcher for my margaritas, and a bed pan for after the margaritas, a stethoscope to spy on cute guys, etc. I'm sure your nurses will do something. Plus, you're going to be 21 for a whole year- you can celebrate it whenever you get out. Plus, bars are dead on Monday nights anyway! Wait til the weekend after you get out and party it up when you feel great! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA