help. can adek vitamins cause pain if not needed

L

ldenkers

Our boys have no cf symptoms so far. We are labeled as in denial parents since we fought to not give our babies enzymes when their stool is pancreatoic sufficient and they are gaining weight. The salt test was also negative. The blood showed no vitamin deficiencies but our dr said the boys need the adek vitamins so we are doing them. Its been a week and each day is worse. This is the only change in their schedule I can think of. Can too much of these vitamins hirt them? Like I said they do not hjave any pancreus issues and no bacterias only two differnt cf genes found on new born screenoing. The boys can't even sleep for more then 30 minites and even then have to be in our arms.

L

ldenkers

Our boys have no cf symptoms so far. We are labeled as in denial parents since we fought to not give our babies enzymes when their stool is pancreatoic sufficient and they are gaining weight. The salt test was also negative. The blood showed no vitamin deficiencies but our dr said the boys need the adek vitamins so we are doing them. Its been a week and each day is worse. This is the only change in their schedule I can think of. Can too much of these vitamins hirt them? Like I said they do not hjave any pancreus issues and no bacterias only two differnt cf genes found on new born screenoing. The boys can't even sleep for more then 30 minites and even then have to be in our arms.

L

ldenkers

<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ds never minded aquaadeks or adeks. Have they check for reflux or silent reflux which is quite common among people wcf. DS wasn't really a spitter; however, did have similar symptoms and zantac seemed to help.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ds never minded aquaadeks or adeks. Have they check for reflux or silent reflux which is quite common among people wcf. DS wasn't really a spitter; however, did have similar symptoms and zantac seemed to help.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

dietitian

I'm the guest dietitian for this month and noticed your question related to ADEK supplement. Try a different brand and also try giving the vitamin supplement during a meal rather than separately or before a meal or snack. This may help.

dietitian

I'm the guest dietitian for this month and noticed your question related to ADEK supplement. Try a different brand and also try giving the vitamin supplement during a meal rather than separately or before a meal or snack. This may help.

dietitian

T

tarheel

I am very suprised no one has pointed this out so far. ADEK are all fat soluble vitamins, and as CFers being pancreatic insufficent we all have low levels of these vitamins. However, if your sons are indeed pancreatic sufficent (which can be determined by a fecal fat test) their levels of these vitamins should be normal. This is all easily checked by bloodwork. If the supplement is not nessisary, I would say to take them off. High leves of these vitamins in your system can be toxic to certain organs- but I would say start with the fecal fat and bloodwork, and go from there. (Yes, I know I'm 17 but I've had CF all my life and I have also taken an anatomy and physiology class.)

T

tarheel

I am very suprised no one has pointed this out so far. ADEK are all fat soluble vitamins, and as CFers being pancreatic insufficent we all have low levels of these vitamins. However, if your sons are indeed pancreatic sufficent (which can be determined by a fecal fat test) their levels of these vitamins should be normal. This is all easily checked by bloodwork. If the supplement is not nessisary, I would say to take them off. High leves of these vitamins in your system can be toxic to certain organs- but I would say start with the fecal fat and bloodwork, and go from there. (Yes, I know I'm 17 but I've had CF all my life and I have also taken an anatomy and physiology class.)

T

tarheel