Help. Did you have reactions to nebulizer Amikacin

njlins

I was prescribed this a few weeks ago but still procastinating. So fearful of taking this. Have others had hearing loss from this? Any other side effects? I do have my balance devastated due to gentamycin many years ago. This loss is permanent. Really need help.

S

stephen

njlins:

In view of you past experience with Gentamicin, your reluctance to taking Amikacin is probably well founded.

As you probably already know, Gentamicin, Amikacin and Tobramycin are all aminoglycosides which are know to cause hearing problems. I would therefore definitely speak with you doctor about taking Gentamicin. There are probably other antibiotics you could take - even though they may not be quite as effective. Gentamicin should probably be used only as a last resort!

The use of IV Tobramycin did cause me some hearing loss. I became aware of something strange the third time I was on IV Tobramycin. (I had been nebulizing TOBI.) One morning when running the water in the shower the sound was very strange. Knowing that Tobramycin could cause hearing problems, I called my CF doctor and she told me to stop the IV immediately. (She then substituted another Antibiotic.)

After that, I found that TOBI was causing a high pitch squeal in my ears. Although I was told that nebulized TOBI was not supposed the enter the blood stream, I requested a blood thst and it was found. Fortunately Cayston was there and my CF doctor was able to get if for me through an Expanded Access Program several years before it got FDA approval. Since then some of the hearing has been regained. The ringing eventually disappeared.

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about Cayston. It's done well for me for me for the past 7 years and is one of the few drugs I'm planing to continue now that I'm on Kalydeco.

Be well.

njlins

Thanks for the great info Stephen. I have had the tinnitus (shrill ringing in my ears since childhood. I cannot remember not having it. But when I was hospitalized in April and May they put me on Vancomycin. Since then the tinnitus has become a constant roar that does bother me. It has not gotten any less yet. UGH!!! While in the hospital the second time they put my on IV's of Linezoild which made me very ill. My head felt like it would explode and I was in a lot of distress and vomiting so much I had dry heaves for a long time. After that I have felt like going into the hospital is killing me. I have also been diagnosed with atrial fibillation of the heart which may not be related and my pulse and blood pressure was so erratic. Now with a new oral med these have both calmed down. Have more testing done this week. So this is why I am so afraid of Amikacin. I told my CF doctor and then an infectious disease doctor too. They both think I need this. But they said the same thing about the gent nasal irrigation which I know started causing a loss of balance and then IV's that totally devastated my balance. I feel like de ja Vue and am waiting until I see my neurologist this week for a recheck. Lots more but enough before your eyes fall out reading ths. But thanks so much for responding.