Help- Going to Italy. Pari TREK? other traveling advice

C

CFcyster2012

Hi Everyone-I am going to Italy for 10 days and am worried I am going to forget to do/bring something for my trip. List of questions that I'm sure I will update:

I was planning to buy a pari TREK nebulizer but have read pulmozyme does not work on it. Anyone had this experience? What do I get/bring instead?
Has anyone had issues with security internationally?
For those who have traveled, was there anything in particular you wish you had done/brought?

Any advice would be great- I'm stressing out a bit!

Not sure what to bring for clothes/shoes for a stylish yet practical wardrobe if anyone has thoughts there, too.

THANK YOU!

S

stephen

Cfcyster2012,

Hope you have a great trip. I’ve traveled quite a bit - to Israel and once to Italy, and would definitely recommend the Pari TREK. It’s also handy to have just to use in the car too. The battery lasts about four treatments, and I take car and home chargers too.

I adjust my schedule so that I’m not on Cayston or TOBI when traveling. Sometimes I don’t take Pulmozyme because of the need for refrigeration, but I always have saline. I also take an Acapella to use instead of The Vest.

I’ve never had any trouble with the Trek, Saline, or Pulmozyme at any of the airports.

Again, have a great trip!

Liza

Hi,

We too travel quite a bit and I also recommend the Pari Trek. We purchased it when it first came out and discovered we didn't really use/need the battery pak, so when we purchased a new one two years ago we only got it with the wall charger and the car plug. You can use it with Pulmozyme. This was one of my concerns prior to choosing the Trek the very first time.

My daughter never has an "off" month for inhaled meds, she alternates TOBI and Cayston, so on our last trip overseas we adjusted so that she was on Cayston. That was easiest for us, only one refrigerated med to worry about. We packed the pulmozyme in an insulated lunch bag with a freezer pack with a couple of extra freezer baggies for ice if the freezer pack defrosted.

I advise to keep all meds in their prescription bottle with a few extra days worth just in case. You can ask your pharmacy for small empty script bottles if you only have big bottles. We get a 3 mo. supply so we have large bottles. Take an entire extra bottle of enzymes.

We put all the meds, Trek and (my daughter uses a) hand held percussor and flutter in one carry on bag. This way all CF supplies were in one spot. I advise taking along any OTC you might need, like Pepto Bismol, Anti-itch or allergy meds. You never know how difficult it might be to find these abroad. Our last trip was to Brazil two summers ago and they don't have anything like Pepto and it took our Brazilian friend talking to the pharmacist to get something for bug bites!

Make a list of all your meds to take along with you and it'll double as a check list when you pack! You'll be just fine!

We were stationed overseas for 3.5 yrs and we noticed one main thing, Europeans don't wear tennis shoes. Not even the kids. It was drilled into us to blend into our surroundings, so neither did we. I advise purchasing some comfortable shoes and sandals. Also, you might want to consider taking along a sweater or shawl to cover bare shoulders if you go to the Basilica in Rome. Then again, you might just want to buy one there! Always carry your passport on your person, never leave it in your hotel, on a tour bus or in a back pack. Make a copy to leave at your hotel just in case.

Have a great time!

Melissa75

Administrator
Have a great trip! When I lived in Spain, people wore cute jackets, not fleece or nylon (unless doing a sport), and clothing was fitted, not a big square T-shirt. I'm traveling overseas later this summer and my packing list includes: my favorite jeans, tight black non wrinkle pants, some thin cool blouses, canvas tailored jacket, ballet flats, suede-ish sneakers with a dark sole (they're actually climbing approach shoes but they're very cute imo:), leggings that can be worn with tunic tops or as pjs, a couple tunic tops that could be dresses or paired with leggings depending on weather.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about pulmozyme, but I was told by a Pari rep that Tobi should not be used with the Trek as the PSI isn't strong enough.

H

Hail2Pitt

Hi CFcyster,

I just want to echo what others have said - the Pari Trek is great. I've been to Europe twice (spent a couple weeks in Italy last summer), and used it exclusively both times. Since it has a multi-voltage AC adapter, all you need is a plug adapter and you'll be good to go.

I've used mine for Pulmozyme and hypertonic saline, and it works well with both. I think the compressor airflow is slightly lower when running off the battery then when it's plugged in, so I tend to use mine plugged in. But, either way it works well.

Though it may be overkill, when traveling long distances (especially overseas) I bring a backup compressor. One I take with me in my carry-on (along with all of my meds), and the other I just throw in my suitcase. Though I've never had one stop working on me during a trip, I like to be prepared just in case. The last thing I'd want to worry about during a dream Italy trip is trying to replace a broken compressor! I also use the Acapella exclusively on these trips - the Vest is too much of a pain to drag around.

I've never had a problem in an airport with my equipment and meds. I don't know your route to and from Italy, but I've been through the airports in Venice and Rome and had no trouble.

And, the Pari Trek is great to have in general. At times I'll take it with me so I can do my meds in the car, and it's a huge time saver.

Have fun!!!