Help - Not sure what to do

Justinsmama

Hi,

My just turned 8 year old son who was diagnosed in Feb is sick. He has a fever of 100.3, pain in chest and just not feeling well. He has had 5 pneumonias since Feb, 4 close together and one we caught early in August. Last culture was H. influ and moderate staph. My question is (this is still so new to us) do I wait until tomorrow to call the peditrician/CF clinic? He is short of breath and his chest hurts. In the past his FEV numbers drop quite quickly when he is sick (105% to 78%). We have never been sick on a Sunday before. Always ped knew by Friday except the first when he was hospitalized. 3 times he has needed an oral steroid.

Thank you in advance.

Josette in PA

B

bugsyroscoe

If you are concerned, there is no harm in calling the CF clinic. Ours always has a doctor on call. They can evaluate his symptoms on the phone and get antibiotics called in if they feel it is necessary otherwise they will just tell you to come in tomorrow. Trust those "mama" instincts! :) I hope he is feeling better very soon.
Mandy

Printer

You can take him to the ER at your CF Center. His records are there and the ER Doctor can call his CF Doctor.

Bill

Justinsmama

Thanks. Our CF center is 2 hours away. Is local ER a good idea if he gets worse overnight or should I make the drive? Does it hurt much to wait until tomorrow? He tried the vest twice but cried because the pain was a 9 out of 10.

Printer

I would try calling first, if necessary drive the 2 hours. You have know idea how much or how little the local CF Doctor knows about CF.

Bill

just1more

If he is in that kind of pain I'd suggest taking him in. As for which ER, that is going to be based upon your gut which is still developing given your newness to CF.

If he continues to have shortness of breath, or pain I'd probably head to the CF center if you can. The local ER can evaluate and consult with his CF team; but they are going to have less experience likely. If you trust the local hospital start there; if it is a little sleepy ER with 80 yr old doctors---I'd make the drive.
Tom

Julie7

I'm sorry you are in this situation but as a mom, I can tell by your tone how concerned you are. If you need one more nudge, make the drive to the ER, preferably CF center. Moms always know, don't second your gut instinct.

Justinsmama

Thanks everyone. I am waiting for a call back from Hopkins to see if they want us to come to their ER or our local. His respiration is a little high at 33. Don't want it to get too bad and worried about overnight.

Julie7

Good call, that's what they are there for, never worry or feel bad about paging dr. Keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Justinsmama

Thanks everyone again. After speaking with the doctor she put him on bactrim double strength for 14 days and neb every 4 hours. Going to try the vest again tonight.
I really appreciate everyone's advice. So much easier to go through this with the group to rely on.