Help please!

Andi2007

I had a great diagram that my dr's office gave me on how to do this (it's new for me). I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, and stupid me left my diagram at work. I googled, but didn't see what I was looking for. Does anyone have a link to this diagram, or have good instructions for how to do it?

Much thanks!

Andi2007

I had a great diagram that my dr's office gave me on how to do this (it's new for me). I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, and stupid me left my diagram at work. I googled, but didn't see what I was looking for. Does anyone have a link to this diagram, or have good instructions for how to do it?

Much thanks!

Andi2007

Much thanks!

Andi2007

Much thanks!

Andi2007

<br />
<br />Much thanks!

JennifersHope

My amazing RT at MUSC emailed me this the other day,... she also gave me a lesson on it as well.. Hope this helps

Autogenic Drainage
What is Autogenic Drainage?
Autogenic drainage was first described by Jean Chevaillier in 1967. It is a breathing technique that helps the
patient drain the lungs from within (Autogenic) by breathing at different lung volumes in 3 phases:
Phase 1 - unsticking / loosening the phlegm in the small airways
Phase 2 - collecting / moving phlegm to the middle airways
Phase 2 - evacuating / moving the phlegm out by huffing
Unsticking
Sit in a relaxed position; clear your nose and throat of secretions.
Start the session with breathing control, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.
Inhale through the nose and take in a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds; then exhale air out of the mouth
for as long as you can to reach low lung volume.
Inhale through the nose a small breath and hold 3 seconds.
Exhale through the mouth and squeeze out as much air as you can.
Repeat this low lung volume breathing at least 3 times or until you:
hear the secretions crackle while exhaling
feel the secretions moving, or
feel an urge to cough.
Collecting
Take a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds and exhale (but not as low as in the unsticking phase).
Inhale through the nose a slightly larger breath and hold for 3-4 seconds.
Exhale through the mouth a normal sized exhalation.
Repeat normal sized breaths with breath hold after inspiration and normal exhalation for 3 breaths.
Evacuating
Take a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds.
Exhale forcefully with a huff cough.
Autogenic Drainage
Each phase should take approximately 2-3 minutes. Coughing should be avoided until the evacuation phase,
but if patient must cough, they should do 2-3 huff coughs. As patient becomes more comfortable with autogenic
drainage they will likely learn to move secretions by developing their own personal method.
Huff Coughing: Normal coughing may cause bronchial closure, use of excessive energy and little sputum
production. Huff coughing is a gentle coughing technique that includes 3 mini Huff coughs to loosen secretions
from the peripheral small airways and a final forced Huff to expectorate the sputum.
Deflation Breaths - have patient deflate excess air from their lungs by slowing breathing rate down and
perform prolonged exhalation (4-5 seconds) for 3-4 breaths
Take a slow deep breath but not a maximum breath.
Shape your mouth like an "O" .
Do a mini / short cough by contracting the upper abdominal muscles. This can be described as pushing a
tennis ball out of an open mouth while making a "huff" noise.
Take in a quick partial breath and repeat "huff" a second time with this smaller breath.
Take in an even smaller breath and "huff" for a third time. (the patient is now at a very low lung volume
that helps loosen the secretions from the lungs)
Take a forced full breath but not a maximum breath.
Give a forced, hard "huff" and cough out the sputum.
Repeat the steps if airway secretions are not cleared.

JennifersHope

My amazing RT at MUSC emailed me this the other day,... she also gave me a lesson on it as well.. Hope this helps

Autogenic Drainage
Autogenic drainage was first described by Jean Chevaillier in 1967. It is a breathing technique that helps the
patient drain the lungs from within (Autogenic) by breathing at different lung volumes in 3 phases:
Unsticking
Start the session with breathing control, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.
Inhale through the nose and take in a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds; then exhale air out of the mouth
feel an urge to cough.
Collecting
Take a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds and exhale (but not as low as in the unsticking phase).
Repeat normal sized breaths with breath hold after inspiration and normal exhalation for 3 breaths.
Evacuating
Autogenic Drainage
Each phase should take approximately 2-3 minutes. Coughing should be avoided until the evacuation phase,
but if patient must cough, they should do 2-3 huff coughs. As patient becomes more comfortable with autogenic
drainage they will likely learn to move secretions by developing their own personal method.
Huff Coughing: Normal coughing may cause bronchial closure, use of excessive energy and little sputum
production. Huff coughing is a gentle coughing technique that includes 3 mini Huff coughs to loosen secretions
from the peripheral small airways and a final forced Huff to expectorate the sputum.
Deflation Breaths - have patient deflate excess air from their lungs by slowing breathing rate down and
Do a mini / short cough by contracting the upper abdominal muscles. This can be described as pushing a
Take in a quick partial breath and repeat "huff" a second time with this smaller breath.
Take in an even smaller breath and "huff" for a third time. (the patient is now at a very low lung volume

JennifersHope

Autogenic Drainage
Unsticking
feel an urge to cough.
Collecting
Evacuating
Autogenic Drainage

JennifersHope

Autogenic Drainage
Unsticking
feel an urge to cough.
Collecting
Evacuating
Autogenic Drainage

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />Autogenic Drainage
<br />What is Autogenic Drainage?
<br />Autogenic drainage was first described by Jean Chevaillier in 1967. It is a breathing technique that helps the
<br />patient drain the lungs from within (Autogenic) by breathing at different lung volumes in 3 phases:
<br />Phase 1 - unsticking / loosening the phlegm in the small airways
<br />Phase 2 - collecting / moving phlegm to the middle airways
<br />Phase 2 - evacuating / moving the phlegm out by huffing
<br />Unsticking
<br />Sit in a relaxed position; clear your nose and throat of secretions.
<br />Start the session with breathing control, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.
<br />Inhale through the nose and take in a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds; then exhale air out of the mouth
<br />for as long as you can to reach low lung volume.
<br />Inhale through the nose a small breath and hold 3 seconds.
<br />Exhale through the mouth and squeeze out as much air as you can.
<br />Repeat this low lung volume breathing at least 3 times or until you:
<br />hear the secretions crackle while exhaling
<br />feel the secretions moving, or
<br />feel an urge to cough.
<br />Collecting
<br />Take a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds and exhale (but not as low as in the unsticking phase).
<br />Inhale through the nose a slightly larger breath and hold for 3-4 seconds.
<br />Exhale through the mouth a normal sized exhalation.
<br />Repeat normal sized breaths with breath hold after inspiration and normal exhalation for 3 breaths.
<br />Evacuating
<br />Take a deep breath and hold for 3-4 seconds.
<br />Exhale forcefully with a huff cough.
<br />1.
<br />2.
<br />3.
<br />4.
<br />5.
<br />6.
<br />1.
<br />2.
<br />3.
<br />4.
<br />1.
<br />2.
<br />Autogenic Drainage
<br />Each phase should take approximately 2-3 minutes. Coughing should be avoided until the evacuation phase,
<br />but if patient must cough, they should do 2-3 huff coughs. As patient becomes more comfortable with autogenic
<br />drainage they will likely learn to move secretions by developing their own personal method.
<br />Huff Coughing: Normal coughing may cause bronchial closure, use of excessive energy and little sputum
<br />production. Huff coughing is a gentle coughing technique that includes 3 mini Huff coughs to loosen secretions
<br />from the peripheral small airways and a final forced Huff to expectorate the sputum.
<br />Deflation Breaths - have patient deflate excess air from their lungs by slowing breathing rate down and
<br />perform prolonged exhalation (4-5 seconds) for 3-4 breaths
<br />Take a slow deep breath but not a maximum breath.
<br />Shape your mouth like an "O" .
<br />Do a mini / short cough by contracting the upper abdominal muscles. This can be described as pushing a
<br />tennis ball out of an open mouth while making a "huff" noise.
<br />Take in a quick partial breath and repeat "huff" a second time with this smaller breath.
<br />Take in an even smaller breath and "huff" for a third time. (the patient is now at a very low lung volume
<br />that helps loosen the secretions from the lungs)
<br />Take a forced full breath but not a maximum breath.
<br />Give a forced, hard "huff" and cough out the sputum.
<br />Repeat the steps if airway secretions are not cleared.
<br />1.
<br />2.
<br />3.
<br />4.
<br />5.
<br />6.
<br />7.
<br />8.
<br />9.