Help with Bipap Mask??

BlissingOut

Does anyone have enough familiarity with the bipap mask to answer a question??

My boyfriend is in the hospital on a bipap wearing a full face mask. His CO2 level has been outrageously high the past two weeks and we're struggling to bring it down.

The problem is the RTs dont seem to know how he should wear the mask!

The mask has two little holes on the front with removable plugs in them. He has been wearing the bipap with the plugs in. However, an RT came by yesterday and said at least one hole should be open. Then the next one came in and said they both need to be closed.

Now we've been polling all the RTs. Most say they need to stay closed, but could this be partially responsible for our trouble bringing his CO2 down?

The mask does have a little grid of small holes by the top, presumably to get out some CO2.

BlissingOut

My boyfriend is in the hospital on a bipap wearing a full face mask. His CO2 level has been outrageously high the past two weeks and we're struggling to bring it down.

The problem is the RTs dont seem to know how he should wear the mask!

The mask has two little holes on the front with removable plugs in them. He has been wearing the bipap with the plugs in. However, an RT came by yesterday and said at least one hole should be open. Then the next one came in and said they both need to be closed.

Now we've been polling all the RTs. Most say they need to stay closed, but could this be partially responsible for our trouble bringing his CO2 down?

The mask does have a little grid of small holes by the top, presumably to get out some CO2.

BlissingOut

<br />
<br />
<br />My boyfriend is in the hospital on a bipap wearing a full face mask. His CO2 level has been outrageously high the past two weeks and we're struggling to bring it down.
<br />
<br />The problem is the RTs dont seem to know how he should wear the mask!
<br />
<br />The mask has two little holes on the front with removable plugs in them. He has been wearing the bipap with the plugs in. However, an RT came by yesterday and said at least one hole should be open. Then the next one came in and said they both need to be closed.
<br />
<br />Now we've been polling all the RTs. Most say they need to stay closed, but could this be partially responsible for our trouble bringing his CO2 down?
<br />
<br />The mask does have a little grid of small holes by the top, presumably to get out some CO2.

Tammy15

My daughters were closed . Our biggest battle was with because it was a full face mask one doctor insisted she had to go into ICU becasue of it. The next day her CF doctor and social worker came on the floor and set the resident straight. However the resident of course terrified everyone. If you have a RT you feel knows their stuff that comes in I would discuss in detail with that one or an RT supervisor or the doctor. We had 3 good RT that knew their stuff and one that would always act like they knew and argue when we got that one my daughter would throw them out and find out who the supe was on that night and make him come up or have him send one of theothers that was good up. Has he been able to come off the mask for a bit and try vapo therm ?

Tammy15

My daughters were closed . Our biggest battle was with because it was a full face mask one doctor insisted she had to go into ICU becasue of it. The next day her CF doctor and social worker came on the floor and set the resident straight. However the resident of course terrified everyone. If you have a RT you feel knows their stuff that comes in I would discuss in detail with that one or an RT supervisor or the doctor. We had 3 good RT that knew their stuff and one that would always act like they knew and argue when we got that one my daughter would throw them out and find out who the supe was on that night and make him come up or have him send one of theothers that was good up. Has he been able to come off the mask for a bit and try vapo therm ?

Tammy15

texnation

I've slept without them ever since one night in the hospital, when an idiot RT didn't get the settings right, I woke up essentially suffocating. I was in the middle of a dream thinking I was drowning only to wake up and find it actually happening. I was half asleep and struggling to rip off the mask. Then that same RT had the guts to try to get me to put the plugs back on after I explained what happened. I view the holes as lifelines now.

The next day I directly asked the RT that works for my Pulmonologist and he told me they should be off. I now use an auto setting BiPap machine at home but still have the plugs off, it makes sense since power may go out and I wouldn't be able to breathe through the BiPap tube (mine seals off). You wouldn't last long breathing through those tiny holes but at least it's something, hopefully enough to wake you up and get you to take it off.

texnation

I've slept without them ever since one night in the hospital, when an idiot RT didn't get the settings right, I woke up essentially suffocating. I was in the middle of a dream thinking I was drowning only to wake up and find it actually happening. I was half asleep and struggling to rip off the mask. Then that same RT had the guts to try to get me to put the plugs back on after I explained what happened. I view the holes as lifelines now.

The next day I directly asked the RT that works for my Pulmonologist and he told me they should be off. I now use an auto setting BiPap machine at home but still have the plugs off, it makes sense since power may go out and I wouldn't be able to breathe through the BiPap tube (mine seals off). You wouldn't last long breathing through those tiny holes but at least it's something, hopefully enough to wake you up and get you to take it off.

texnation

<br />
<br />The next day I directly asked the RT that works for my Pulmonologist and he told me they should be off. I now use an auto setting BiPap machine at home but still have the plugs off, it makes sense since power may go out and I wouldn't be able to breathe through the BiPap tube (mine seals off). You wouldn't last long breathing through those tiny holes but at least it's something, hopefully enough to wake you up and get you to take it off.