Help with Nebulizer

Sixty5roses

Hi! I'm a 28-yr. old with CF. I need help with my nebulizer. This is involved so here goes...

I didn't get diagnosed until I was 11. So, I had 11 yrs. without taking medicines and so I remember what it was like. Because of this, I fight it. I'm better about the pills now, but still struggle with the nebulizer.

I have to be at work at 7a. And being a girl, it takes me 45 minutes to get ready. So all said and done, I have to get up at 4:45 to do my treatments before work and I live 10 minutes from work. This sucks! It's hard. Even when I go to bed at 9p it's still hard. Once I'm up, I'm fine. Not sure if there is a solution, but I wanted to express my frustration b/c I have a hard time getting to bed by 9p. I tried moving all my Vest and nebulizer stuff to the bathroom to multitask getting ready and doing that, but for now it's not a great solution b/c my bathroom is oh so very tiny and it gets really hot in there and then I'm sweating while I'm drying my hair. Any suggestions? Do other people have these problems? On the bonus side, I get off work at 4p so the afternoon works well with that and making dinner and what not.

Thanks!!
Sydna

Sixty5roses

Hi! I'm a 28-yr. old with CF. I need help with my nebulizer. This is involved so here goes...

I didn't get diagnosed until I was 11. So, I had 11 yrs. without taking medicines and so I remember what it was like. Because of this, I fight it. I'm better about the pills now, but still struggle with the nebulizer.

I have to be at work at 7a. And being a girl, it takes me 45 minutes to get ready. So all said and done, I have to get up at 4:45 to do my treatments before work and I live 10 minutes from work. This sucks! It's hard. Even when I go to bed at 9p it's still hard. Once I'm up, I'm fine. Not sure if there is a solution, but I wanted to express my frustration b/c I have a hard time getting to bed by 9p. I tried moving all my Vest and nebulizer stuff to the bathroom to multitask getting ready and doing that, but for now it's not a great solution b/c my bathroom is oh so very tiny and it gets really hot in there and then I'm sweating while I'm drying my hair. Any suggestions? Do other people have these problems? On the bonus side, I get off work at 4p so the afternoon works well with that and making dinner and what not.

Thanks!!
Sydna

Sixty5roses

Thanks!!
Sydna

Sixty5roses

Thanks!!
Sydna

Sixty5roses

<br />
<br />I didn't get diagnosed until I was 11. So, I had 11 yrs. without taking medicines and so I remember what it was like. Because of this, I fight it. I'm better about the pills now, but still struggle with the nebulizer.
<br />
<br />I have to be at work at 7a. And being a girl, it takes me 45 minutes to get ready. So all said and done, I have to get up at 4:45 to do my treatments before work and I live 10 minutes from work. This sucks! It's hard. Even when I go to bed at 9p it's still hard. Once I'm up, I'm fine. Not sure if there is a solution, but I wanted to express my frustration b/c I have a hard time getting to bed by 9p. I tried moving all my Vest and nebulizer stuff to the bathroom to multitask getting ready and doing that, but for now it's not a great solution b/c my bathroom is oh so very tiny and it gets really hot in there and then I'm sweating while I'm drying my hair. Any suggestions? Do other people have these problems? On the bonus side, I get off work at 4p so the afternoon works well with that and making dinner and what not.
<br />
<br />Thanks!!
<br />Sydna

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any way you can bathe the night before or at least wash and dry your hair before bed if that's the most time consuming and then use the flat iron or curling iron in the morning to touch it up? I have really thick hair that takes forever to dry and that's what I used to do way back when. Otherwise, do you have a really good hair dryer and one of those extra absorbent hair towels to cut drying time?

Also what types of meds are you nebulizing? How long does the nebulizer take? We once had a faulty compressor and it took twice as long to do tobi that it should have -- 45-50 minutes instead of 20-25.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any way you can bathe the night before or at least wash and dry your hair before bed if that's the most time consuming and then use the flat iron or curling iron in the morning to touch it up? I have really thick hair that takes forever to dry and that's what I used to do way back when. Otherwise, do you have a really good hair dryer and one of those extra absorbent hair towels to cut drying time?

Also what types of meds are you nebulizing? How long does the nebulizer take? We once had a faulty compressor and it took twice as long to do tobi that it should have -- 45-50 minutes instead of 20-25.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Also what types of meds are you nebulizing? How long does the nebulizer take? We once had a faulty compressor and it took twice as long to do tobi that it should have -- 45-50 minutes instead of 20-25.

saveferris2009

Yup it takes me 2 hours to get out the door - 1 hour to shower, do hair, makeup and eat b'fast. and another hour to do meds.

I can do most of my makeup while i do meds (I bring a mirror and I'm off).

Yup, it's very frustrating, but there are small wins like doing your colistin or tobra in the eFlow to save time, or doing your HTS and/or pulmozyme while you vest.

I now have a 45 minute commute to work so I've wired my car with an inverter so I do my entire medication routine while I'm in the car. Yup. The Vest, the nebs, the whole 9 yards. It's worked out great.

saveferris2009

Yup it takes me 2 hours to get out the door - 1 hour to shower, do hair, makeup and eat b'fast. and another hour to do meds.

Yup, it's very frustrating, but there are small wins like doing your colistin or tobra in the eFlow to save time, or doing your HTS and/or pulmozyme while you vest.

I now have a 45 minute commute to work so I've wired my car with an inverter so I do my entire medication routine while I'm in the car. Yup. The Vest, the nebs, the whole 9 yards. It's worked out great.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />I can do most of my makeup while i do meds (I bring a mirror and I'm off).
<br />
<br />Yup, it's very frustrating, but there are small wins like doing your colistin or tobra in the eFlow to save time, or doing your HTS and/or pulmozyme while you vest.
<br />
<br />I now have a 45 minute commute to work so I've wired my car with an inverter so I do my entire medication routine while I'm in the car. Yup. The Vest, the nebs, the whole 9 yards. It's worked out great.
<br />
<br />

Kristen

I hate it too! I also didn't have to do this stuff until later in life (I didn't even own a nebulizer until 23, and I was diagnosed as a baby!). I still have a hard time with the amount of free time it takes up. I feel like I can't have any hobbies or a much of a social life.

I don't vest, so things are a little different. It still takes me about 1.5 hours to get ready, but I usually bring my nebulizer into the kitchen and do some of it while I am cleaning up from the night before and packing my lunch. And sometimes I'll take it into the bathroom with me. Another HUGE time saver is being able to nebs in the car with me. I bought an adaptor from amazon and do some of them on the way to/from work. Usually I will do albuterol & get started on my HS while checking email/cleaning the kitchen, and finish HS and do colistin in the car. I have a 20-45 min commute, depending on traffic.

I do workout and shower at night, so that saves time. And, on my months I am not on colistin, I can be out the door in an hour if I need to, because I wait until I get into my car to do albuterol and HS.

Kristen

I hate it too! I also didn't have to do this stuff until later in life (I didn't even own a nebulizer until 23, and I was diagnosed as a baby!). I still have a hard time with the amount of free time it takes up. I feel like I can't have any hobbies or a much of a social life.

I don't vest, so things are a little different. It still takes me about 1.5 hours to get ready, but I usually bring my nebulizer into the kitchen and do some of it while I am cleaning up from the night before and packing my lunch. And sometimes I'll take it into the bathroom with me. Another HUGE time saver is being able to nebs in the car with me. I bought an adaptor from amazon and do some of them on the way to/from work. Usually I will do albuterol & get started on my HS while checking email/cleaning the kitchen, and finish HS and do colistin in the car. I have a 20-45 min commute, depending on traffic.

I do workout and shower at night, so that saves time. And, on my months I am not on colistin, I can be out the door in an hour if I need to, because I wait until I get into my car to do albuterol and HS.

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

<br />
<br />I don't vest, so things are a little different. It still takes me about 1.5 hours to get ready, but I usually bring my nebulizer into the kitchen and do some of it while I am cleaning up from the night before and packing my lunch. And sometimes I'll take it into the bathroom with me. Another HUGE time saver is being able to nebs in the car with me. I bought an adaptor from amazon and do some of them on the way to/from work. Usually I will do albuterol & get started on my HS while checking email/cleaning the kitchen, and finish HS and do colistin in the car. I have a 20-45 min commute, depending on traffic.
<br />
<br />I do workout and shower at night, so that saves time. And, on my months I am not on colistin, I can be out the door in an hour if I need to, because I wait until I get into my car to do albuterol and HS.