Help!

This is Tamara's mom and we are needing a little help.....she has been on home iv's and where some of the iv's have gone in her arm is swollen and hard. All that the doc's have said to do is warm compresses to bring the swelling down but nothing is helping and it is very painful. They did not put in a pic line so she is going every 3 days to have the site changed so her arms are looking pretty bad! Can anyone else suggest anything else to help??

This is Tamara's mom and we are needing a little help.....she has been on home iv's and where some of the iv's have gone in her arm is swollen and hard. All that the doc's have said to do is warm compresses to bring the swelling down but nothing is helping and it is very painful. They did not put in a pic line so she is going every 3 days to have the site changed so her arms are looking pretty bad! Can anyone else suggest anything else to help??

vmhoward

Go to a different Doctor.......

No really, if she is in pain it would seem like they would want to have her come in and take care of it. Doesnt the doctor seem at all concerned that there might be infection, or a clot? I would go in and see the Doctor personally and make them do something about it.

I hope she gets this taken care of soon, and doesnt have to be in pain very long.

keeping you both in prayer.

Sorry I am not much help otherwise.

vmhoward

No really, if she is in pain it would seem like they would want to have her come in and take care of it. Doesnt the doctor seem at all concerned that there might be infection, or a clot? I would go in and see the Doctor personally and make them do something about it.

I hope she gets this taken care of soon, and doesnt have to be in pain very long.

vmhoward

vmhoward

vmhoward

<br />
<br />No really, if she is in pain it would seem like they would want to have her come in and take care of it. Doesnt the doctor seem at all concerned that there might be infection, or a clot? I would go in and see the Doctor personally and make them do something about it.
<br />
<br />I hope she gets this taken care of soon, and doesnt have to be in pain very long.
<br />
<br />keeping you both in prayer.
<br />
<br />Sorry I am not much help otherwise.

kitomd21

I would assume that the IV catheter is no longer patent....I've placed and maintained IVs with dogs and cats and a hardened area underneath the insertion site indicates pervascular delivery of fluids/medication. Not sure if they've provided you with hep/saline flush, but if you draw back with a syringe and hep/sal, you should see a flash of blood if it's still patent. I don't know how much human docs instruct patients with in-home IV use..but from my experience in the vet world, the IV needs to be replaced....

kitomd21

I would assume that the IV catheter is no longer patent....I've placed and maintained IVs with dogs and cats and a hardened area underneath the insertion site indicates pervascular delivery of fluids/medication. Not sure if they've provided you with hep/saline flush, but if you draw back with a syringe and hep/sal, you should see a flash of blood if it's still patent. I don't know how much human docs instruct patients with in-home IV use..but from my experience in the vet world, the IV needs to be replaced....

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

Nightwriter

At first I thought maybe it was phlebitis, so I had to look it up. I found an article that describe 2 instances of hardening aound the IV site. I put in the link. In case it doesn't work, briefly:

1. Thrombophlebitis: The IV cannula may irritate the vein triggering it's clotting mechanism. Hardening where a clot has formed. Recommended: Anti-inflamatories like Ibuprofin or Tylenol. (probably what your doctor thinks she has. Ask!)

2. Infiltration: the catheter enters surrounding tissue so fluids form a lump. They pull the IV and do it again.

Years ago, I remember having extreme pain from the IV, actually sitting and crying from the pain and the doctor had no sympathy at all. Heat compresses did nothing for the pain. A friend who was a nurse told me to try ice and that helped more than the heat (even though theoretically it constricts vessels). She also told me to have them put the medicine in a very large bag diluting the medicine so it didn't burn my veins. This doesn't sound like your daughter's problem.

Why didn't she get a PICC? Being stuck every 3 days is so painful.

I would definetely call the doctor. There is no reason why someone should have to stay in agony.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.netwellness.org/health topics/ansthesology/ivcomplications.cfm">Text</a>

Nightwriter

At first I thought maybe it was phlebitis, so I had to look it up. I found an article that describe 2 instances of hardening aound the IV site. I put in the link. In case it doesn't work, briefly:

1. Thrombophlebitis: The IV cannula may irritate the vein triggering it's clotting mechanism. Hardening where a clot has formed. Recommended: Anti-inflamatories like Ibuprofin or Tylenol. (probably what your doctor thinks she has. Ask!)

2. Infiltration: the catheter enters surrounding tissue so fluids form a lump. They pull the IV and do it again.

Years ago, I remember having extreme pain from the IV, actually sitting and crying from the pain and the doctor had no sympathy at all. Heat compresses did nothing for the pain. A friend who was a nurse told me to try ice and that helped more than the heat (even though theoretically it constricts vessels). She also told me to have them put the medicine in a very large bag diluting the medicine so it didn't burn my veins. This doesn't sound like your daughter's problem.

I would definetely call the doctor. There is no reason why someone should have to stay in agony.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.netwellness.org/health topics/ansthesology/ivcomplications.cfm">Text</a>

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />1. Thrombophlebitis: The IV cannula may irritate the vein triggering it's clotting mechanism. Hardening where a clot has formed. Recommended: Anti-inflamatories like Ibuprofin or Tylenol. (probably what your doctor thinks she has. Ask!)
<br />
<br />2. Infiltration: the catheter enters surrounding tissue so fluids form a lump. They pull the IV and do it again.
<br />
<br />Years ago, I remember having extreme pain from the IV, actually sitting and crying from the pain and the doctor had no sympathy at all. Heat compresses did nothing for the pain. A friend who was a nurse told me to try ice and that helped more than the heat (even though theoretically it constricts vessels). She also told me to have them put the medicine in a very large bag diluting the medicine so it didn't burn my veins. This doesn't sound like your daughter's problem.
<br />
<br />Why didn't she get a PICC? Being stuck every 3 days is so painful.
<br />
<br />I would definetely call the doctor. There is no reason why someone should have to stay in agony.
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.netwellness.org/health topics/ansthesology/ivcomplications.cfm">Text</a>