Help!

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

It sounds like the cannula has 'tissued'.. meaning that it is not in the vein anymore and the antibiotics / saline that yu are flushing through it are going into the surrounding tissues which explains the hardness and tenderness.

Sounds like the doctor is being an arse. Sounds to me like the cannula is no longer patent and needs to be re-sited. You shouldn't be pushing anything through it, it will just accumulate in the surrounding tissues and cause pain. Once the cannula busts, it needs to be re-sited.

As for not inserting a PICC line - the reasoning for this is that if the IVs are only going to be prescribed for a week, sometimes it is better to just use a peripheral cannula - less invasive, less chance of a major infection although, yes, they are painful to re-site and great care needs to be taken to properly flush each antibiotic dose with adequate saline to preserve the poor veins. Cannulas sometimes just don't last long, could be either the fluids were pushed too quickly through it, poorly inserted etc.

Be gentle with them when you do home IVs, push only saline / meds through slowly.

You need to go to a doctor/nurse and have the cannula removed and re-sited.

Hope that helps -
PS I was an RN for eight years

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

It sounds like the cannula has 'tissued'.. meaning that it is not in the vein anymore and the antibiotics / saline that yu are flushing through it are going into the surrounding tissues which explains the hardness and tenderness.

Sounds like the doctor is being an arse. Sounds to me like the cannula is no longer patent and needs to be re-sited. You shouldn't be pushing anything through it, it will just accumulate in the surrounding tissues and cause pain. Once the cannula busts, it needs to be re-sited.

As for not inserting a PICC line - the reasoning for this is that if the IVs are only going to be prescribed for a week, sometimes it is better to just use a peripheral cannula - less invasive, less chance of a major infection although, yes, they are painful to re-site and great care needs to be taken to properly flush each antibiotic dose with adequate saline to preserve the poor veins. Cannulas sometimes just don't last long, could be either the fluids were pushed too quickly through it, poorly inserted etc.

Be gentle with them when you do home IVs, push only saline / meds through slowly.

Hope that helps -

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

Hope that helps -

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

Hope that helps -

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,
<br />
<br />It sounds like the cannula has 'tissued'.. meaning that it is not in the vein anymore and the antibiotics / saline that yu are flushing through it are going into the surrounding tissues which explains the hardness and tenderness.
<br />
<br />Sounds like the doctor is being an arse. Sounds to me like the cannula is no longer patent and needs to be re-sited. You shouldn't be pushing anything through it, it will just accumulate in the surrounding tissues and cause pain. Once the cannula busts, it needs to be re-sited.
<br />
<br />As for not inserting a PICC line - the reasoning for this is that if the IVs are only going to be prescribed for a week, sometimes it is better to just use a peripheral cannula - less invasive, less chance of a major infection although, yes, they are painful to re-site and great care needs to be taken to properly flush each antibiotic dose with adequate saline to preserve the poor veins. Cannulas sometimes just don't last long, could be either the fluids were pushed too quickly through it, poorly inserted etc.
<br />
<br />Be gentle with them when you do home IVs, push only saline / meds through slowly.
<br />
<br />You need to go to a doctor/nurse and have the cannula removed and re-sited.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps -
<br />PS I was an RN for eight years

minimedic304

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://WWW.ORLANDOTROPHYBASS.COM">ORLANDO TROPHY BASS</a>ANTIBIOTICS ARE VERY RUFF ON VEINS, THATS WHY THEY RECOMMEND USING PIC LINES OR CENTRAL LINES, BECAUSE THEY CAN REACH LARGER VEINSAND TOUGHER VEINS. tHE SWELLING AND PAIN COULD BE A SIGN OF PHLEBITIS AND IS ACTUALLY HURTING YOUR DAUGHTER MORE. SHE NEEDS THE IV TAKEN OUT IMMEDIATLY AND I STRONGLY SUGGEST GETTING THE PIC LINE.

minimedic304

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://WWW.ORLANDOTROPHYBASS.COM">ORLANDO TROPHY BASS</a>ANTIBIOTICS ARE VERY RUFF ON VEINS, THATS WHY THEY RECOMMEND USING PIC LINES OR CENTRAL LINES, BECAUSE THEY CAN REACH LARGER VEINSAND TOUGHER VEINS. tHE SWELLING AND PAIN COULD BE A SIGN OF PHLEBITIS AND IS ACTUALLY HURTING YOUR DAUGHTER MORE. SHE NEEDS THE IV TAKEN OUT IMMEDIATLY AND I STRONGLY SUGGEST GETTING THE PIC LINE.

minimedic304

minimedic304

minimedic304

Landy

Last time I was on IVs I had some complications with my PICC & they had to place a peripheral IV line. Well, with the vanco, it didn't take long for the vein to blow & I had a puffed up place just near where the needle went it. They shut down the meds and pulled the line right away and put a PICC in.

Landy

Last time I was on IVs I had some complications with my PICC & they had to place a peripheral IV line. Well, with the vanco, it didn't take long for the vein to blow & I had a puffed up place just near where the needle went it. They shut down the meds and pulled the line right away and put a PICC in.

Landy

Landy

Landy

<br />
<br />

JazzysMom

I get "yelled at" when I try to milk time out of my perephreal lines. Its not a good thing & I cant believe there isnt more concern on the doctors part.

Poor Tamara!! Those meds are harsh & will do a number on the veins...

JazzysMom

I get "yelled at" when I try to milk time out of my perephreal lines. Its not a good thing & I cant believe there isnt more concern on the doctors part.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Poor Tamara!! Those meds are harsh & will do a number on the veins...