Help!

PF

I'm really hoping that someone else has had a similar experience and can offer some advice as I'm feeling so alone right now. My partner who I thought was my soulmate after being together for 11 years left me over a year ago and I became increasingly isolated and depressed which caused chronic insomnia and ultimately an impaired immune system. I was lonely and met a guy online. I deeply regret that now as it turned out I got HSV 1 (the virus that causes cold sores) on my lips and tongue from just kissing him. I have been suffering from burning, tingling on my entire mouth (including the surrounding skin) and tongue and drying peeling lips for 3 months now despite being on an antiviral (Valtrex)and topical cream. My doctor says it's because I waited too long to see him (5 days) and so the medication was started too late. The antiviral only stops multiplication, it's up to the immune system to control the virus. I feel desperately unlucky and embarrassed as I'm not promiscuous. I've tried Lysine too. I haven't been fighting CF for 37 years only to succumb this way. Anyone else out there have prolonged HSV symptoms? Any suggestions/comments truly welcomed.

PF

I'm really hoping that someone else has had a similar experience and can offer some advice as I'm feeling so alone right now. My partner who I thought was my soulmate after being together for 11 years left me over a year ago and I became increasingly isolated and depressed which caused chronic insomnia and ultimately an impaired immune system. I was lonely and met a guy online. I deeply regret that now as it turned out I got HSV 1 (the virus that causes cold sores) on my lips and tongue from just kissing him. I have been suffering from burning, tingling on my entire mouth (including the surrounding skin) and tongue and drying peeling lips for 3 months now despite being on an antiviral (Valtrex)and topical cream. My doctor says it's because I waited too long to see him (5 days) and so the medication was started too late. The antiviral only stops multiplication, it's up to the immune system to control the virus. I feel desperately unlucky and embarrassed as I'm not promiscuous. I've tried Lysine too. I haven't been fighting CF for 37 years only to succumb this way. Anyone else out there have prolonged HSV symptoms? Any suggestions/comments truly welcomed.

PF

missT

Hi PF, I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are going through this. My beautiful baby sister also has cold sores. She got them from kissing the wrong guy at 14 and suffers tremendously till today (she is 27). I have seen her spend weeks at a time at home because she will not face the world with a cold sore on her mouth. She has taken everything you mentioned. She says that too much sun exposure will cause a cold sore. She just waits them out at home. I try and tell her that nobody cares and that I am always coughing all over people. I tell her the comments that are made directly to my face about my cough but she will stays in until they are gone. My one piece of advice is that I know this happened (and it sucks) but PLEASE continue to live your life. Don't let this stop you. Look at what you have endured with CF. I hope and pray that one day they will have a cure for the virus that causes this. Also, dont let your doc tell you it was your fault and you waited too long....that is just not true.
Good luck.

missT

Hi PF, I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are going through this. My beautiful baby sister also has cold sores. She got them from kissing the wrong guy at 14 and suffers tremendously till today (she is 27). I have seen her spend weeks at a time at home because she will not face the world with a cold sore on her mouth. She has taken everything you mentioned. She says that too much sun exposure will cause a cold sore. She just waits them out at home. I try and tell her that nobody cares and that I am always coughing all over people. I tell her the comments that are made directly to my face about my cough but she will stays in until they are gone. My one piece of advice is that I know this happened (and it sucks) but PLEASE continue to live your life. Don't let this stop you. Look at what you have endured with CF. I hope and pray that one day they will have a cure for the virus that causes this. Also, dont let your doc tell you it was your fault and you waited too long....that is just not true.
Good luck.

missT

<br />Good luck.

Giggles

I have found using Abreva the second you feel a tingle and then constantly reapplying through out the day helps speed up the recovery. I also find icing it does ALOT of good! But it is a virus so you gotta just wait for it to pass. But if it is infecting your whole mouth maybe the doc has something oral you can take. I just get one once in awhile on the outside of my lip. So sorry, I feel your pain! But hang in there!

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

I have found using Abreva the second you feel a tingle and then constantly reapplying through out the day helps speed up the recovery. I also find icing it does ALOT of good! But it is a virus so you gotta just wait for it to pass. But if it is infecting your whole mouth maybe the doc has something oral you can take. I just get one once in awhile on the outside of my lip. So sorry, I feel your pain! But hang in there!

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

<br />
<br />Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

carmick

If this is a recurrent problem ask your doc to put you on Valtrex daily. It won't help you much now, but over time you should have fewer/shorter/less painful outbreaks.

carmick

If this is a recurrent problem ask your doc to put you on Valtrex daily. It won't help you much now, but over time you should have fewer/shorter/less painful outbreaks.

carmick

PF

Hi MissT, Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I really appreciate the support. I've been so depressed. I've always driven hard to achieve in my life and not let CF slow me down but I've hit hard times starting with my partner dumping me, being unwell so losing my job, my friends have emigrated and now this virus. The guy who gave it to me turned out to be a real jerk so it's not even as if something positive came out of it. The only fortunate aspect in my life is that I have wonderful parents which I'm truly thankful for.

PF

Hi MissT, Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I really appreciate the support. I've been so depressed. I've always driven hard to achieve in my life and not let CF slow me down but I've hit hard times starting with my partner dumping me, being unwell so losing my job, my friends have emigrated and now this virus. The guy who gave it to me turned out to be a real jerk so it's not even as if something positive came out of it. The only fortunate aspect in my life is that I have wonderful parents which I'm truly thankful for.

PF

PF

Hi Candice

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to look herplex up online but it seems to be out of production.

PF

Hi Candice

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to look herplex up online but it seems to be out of production.