help?

anonymous

What if the mother is the only known carrier and cannot find out if the father is would an amnio test at all to help find out if my son might have CF?

becks

Hello,It depends where you are in your pregnancy, but a amnio is a way of determining whether the child has CF.If you are only around week 10 -12 then a test called a Chorionic Villus Sampling can be performed and the results are available within 7 - 10 days of the test completion.I hope this helps and good luck.Rebekah mum of Matthew 9 mths CF

Drea

Hi,an amnio should tell you if your child has CF. They will take fluid and your blood (to discern between your cells and the baby's cells) and they can look for CF mutations. With out a blood sample of the father, it makes it more dificult to determine if the baby has CF. if the father is a carrier of a less common mutation for CF, it might not show up on a regular screening that they test for only the most common mutations of CF and not all 1000+. I hope that this helped and didn't confuse things. I just had an amnio last week to find out if the baby I will have in July has CF or not. but we know what mutations to look for since our daughter, Rachel has CF. (1 common mutation and 1 less common one)Andreamom of Rachel 5 with CF and on on the wayfeel free to visit our site at http://groups.msn.com/TeamRachelJane